The Mad Scientist's Guide to World…

The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for…

by John Joseph Adams (Editor)

Other authors: L. A. Banks (Contributor), Laird Barron (Contributor), Chris Claremont (Foreword), David Farland (Contributor), Jeffrey Ford (Contributor)18 more, Alan Dean Foster (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor), Theodora Goss (Contributor), Austin Grossman (Contributor), Grady Hendrix (Contributor), Mary Robinette Kowal (Contributor), David D. Levine (Contributor), Heather Lindsley (Contributor), Marjorie M. Liu (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), Jeremiah Tolbert (Contributor), Harry Turtledove (Contributor), Genevieve Valentine (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Daniel H. Wilson (Contributor), Ben H. Winters (Contributor)

Series: Outlander ("The Space Between")

Okay, so far I have only read the Diana Gabaladon short story. I very much enjoyed it. ( )
  sweetfe | Jun 6, 2018 |
I liked this collection for the most part. I could have done without the ~80pg romance novella from Diana Gabaldon, which didn't really fit the mood or theme of the rest of the book, but most of the other stories were quite good. There's one near the end about a political science evil genius that was particularly interesting in light of current events. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
With twenty-two chances, this collection mostly hits its mark. The writing is mostly absurd and superb. And having Stefan Rudnicki narrate is pure perfection. I wouldn't even recommend the print book, as this is HOW one should hear these stories.

Other than the Gabaldon, which I skipped pretty fast, the others were all worth listening to at least twice. I have several favorites, but the first story is perhaps the very best. ( )
  2wonderY | Mar 20, 2017 |
I tried, I really did. I wanted some fun, and that was what was offered here. Unfortunately it didn't deliver. I had to give up. Too self-consciously clever, too hipper-than-thou, and too sophomoric, for me. Otoh, if you want to let your inner adolescent run amok, have at it.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Enjoyed the Diana Gabaldon story of course. Skimmed Carrie Vaughn's. Read Marjorie. Liu's, wasn't my thing. Seaman McGuire's didn't excite me. One out of four isn't bad. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |

Valentine, GenevieveContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Daniel H.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winters, Ben H.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contents: Forward / Chris Claremont -- Professor Incognito apologizes: an itemized list / Austin Grossman -- Father of the groom / Harry Turtledove -- Laughter at the academy / Seanan McGuire -- Letter to the editor / David D. Levine -- Instead of a loving heart / Jeremiah Tolbert -- The executor / Daniel H. Wilson -- The angel of death has a business plan / Heather Lindsley -- Homo perfectus / David Farland -- Ancient equations / L.A. Banks -- Rural singularity / Alan Dean Foster -- Captain Justice saves the day / Genevieve Valentine -- The mad scientist's daughter / Theodora Goss -- The space between / Diana Gabaldon -- Harry and Marlowe meet the founder of the Aetherian revolution / Carrie Vaughn -- Blood & stardust / Laird Barron -- A more perfect union / L.E. Modesitt, Jr. -- Rocks fall / Naomi Novik -- We interrupt this broadcast / Mary Robinette Kowal -- The last dignity of man / Marjorie M. Liu -- The Pittsburgh technology / Jeffrey Ford -- Mofongo knows / Grady Hendrix -- The food taster's boy / Ben H. Winters.

An anthology of original horror tales featuring "evil genius" archetype characters intent on ruling the world features contributions by Diana Gabaldon, Daniel Wilson, and Austin Grossman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,842,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible