Mark Twain: A Life by Ron Powers

Mark Twain: A Life

by Ron Powers

Well-written, insightful biography of Mark Twain, but super-long. I loved it but I was ready for it to be done about 150 pages from the end. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I think all biographies are long so in comparison it was pretty good. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I never finished it beacuse it was a library book I had to send back, but it was a great read and Twain's lfe was very interesting. ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
With a Twainian twist or two in his own words Powers seeks to reveal the fascinating, contradictory, and ornery character that is Mark Twain. In this endeavor he is largely successful given the fact that Samuel Clemens was prolific yet enigmatic in many ways. Clemens is a true original, and about the finest writer America has produced. Controversy and acclaim followed him all his days and despite his written contributions he still has yet to be recognized as the iconoclast his is. The failure to appreciate Clemens is a result of the unfortunate tendency to judge him on the basis of contemporary issues and concerns and to overlook his originality and the striking force of his writing.

In this work then Powers has to reveal the Twain of the biography and allow Twain to be accepted on the basis of his life. The work then is mostly successful because Powers allows Twain to shine through. He mentions, but does not depreciate from Clemens the man, or Twain the writer.
  gmicksmith | Sep 25, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743249011, Paperback)

Mark Twain grew up with America. Born in 1835, he reached adulthood as the country was expanding and threatening to splinter all at once. Along with his towering talent and personality, his timing and instinct for finding the action allowed him to play a major role in pushing the boundaries of American culture and mythology by creating a new approach to literature. "Breaching the ranks of New England literary culture was Clemens's most important achievement (short of his actual works), and a signal liberating event in the country's imaginative history," writes Ron Powers in this dazzling biography. Not only did he observe and chronicle this cultural shift, he participated in it, allowing him to report "from the yeasty perspective of the common man." While still Sam Clemens, he worked as a steamboat pilot on the Mississippi River and experienced the Wild West of the Nevada Territory as a miner, land prospector, and newspaperman. Later, while still the people's champion, he married into wealth and ran with the moneyed class of the Gilded Age--until his money ran out--and toured the world meeting with the famous and powerful at every stop. He was, as Powers puts it, "the nation's first rock star." But Twain was more than just a writer and Powers strives to cover all sides of this complex man. Employing an approach he calls "interpretive portraiture," he explores Twain's personal relations, temperament, religious skepticism, and psychology as closely as his written work. He discusses Twain's zeal for life along with his "chronic insecurity," and describes how this eternally optimistic and forward-looking man was prone to spells of nihilism and despair. Powers is a talented and lively writer clearly up to the task of covering this American legend, and his book vividly and thoroughly explains why Twain was "the representative figure of his nation and his century." --Shawn Carkonen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

Mark Twain's works are a living national treasury, yet somehow, beneath the vast river of literature that he left behind, Samuel Langhorne Clemens, the man who became Mark Twain, has receded from view, leaving us with only faint and often trivialized remnants of his towering personality. Here, author Powers recreates the 19th century's vital landscapes and tumultuous events while restoring the human being at their center. Clemens left his frontier boyhood in Missouri for a life on the Mississippi during the golden age of steamboats. He skirted the Civil War before taking off for an uproarious newspaper career in Wild West Nevada. He took the East Coast by storm, witnessing the extremes of wealth and poverty of New York City and the Gilded Age (which he named). He traveled to Europe on the first American pleasure cruise and revitalized travel writing. He wooed and won his lifelong devoted wife, yet quietly pined for the girl who was his first crush and whom he would re-encounter decades later. He became the toast of Europe and a celebrity who toured the globe. The man who emerges in Powers's brilliant telling is both the magnetic, acerbic, and hilarious Mark Twain of myth and a devoted friend, husband, and father; a whirlwind of optimism and restless energy; and above all, a wide-eared and wide-eyed observer who absorbed every sight and sound, and poured it into his characters, plots, jokes, businesses, and life. Mark Twain left us our greatest voice. Sam Clemens left us one of our most full and American of lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,071,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible