dismiss

The Alchemist (1988)

by Paulo Coelho

30,76085957 (3.57)1 / 544
An Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasures found within.… (more)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    Love of Seven Dolls by Paul Gallico (Fliss88)
    The Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    The Phenomenon of Man by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (Petroglyph)
    Petroglyph: The Alchemist reads like a fairy tale version of Teilhard de Chardin's much more grandiloquent work. Coelho’s “Soul of the World” is very similar to de Chardin’s noosphere, a collective consciousness that all humans are immersed in and that ultimately resolves into God Omega. All is one, all is Love (even valence bonds at an atomic level).… (more)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    God on a Harley by Joan Brady (ALDRINDSL)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by Fola (nadoosha_373)

English (783)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (15)  French (8)  Swedish (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (2)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  Arabic (1)  Piratical (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (851)
So much positive life teachings ( )
  Jaycens | Jul 9, 2020 |
170-page Hallmark card. Gross.
  jimctierney | Jul 7, 2020 |
When I first started reading The Alchemist I spent a long time just sitting there, staring at the front cover. But then I realised that to begin reading a book, first one has to turn to page one. So I turned to page one. But it turned out that page one was blank. I actually had to turn to page seven before the text of the story started. I wondered why so many books did this. So I asked my heart.

“Hey, heart.”
“Hey, Lee.”
“Why do books always call, like, the copyright page or some other seemingly random early page ‘page 1’ rather than waiting till the main text to kick off the page numbering?”
“Hell if I know, Lee. I just tell jokes then pump blood around your body.”
“Oh, okay then. Well then just tell me a joke.”
“Alrighty. How about this one. Knock knock.”
“Who's there?”
“The interrupting cow with poor comic timing.”
“The interrupting cow with poor comic timing who?”
“Moo.”
“…”
“B'dum.”

Then I realised that talking to my heart was pointless. It's just a lump of cardiac tissue with a questionable sense of humour.

Mystery unsolved, I continued reading the novel. Ostensibly it's a little adventure-cum-coming of age novella. But poorly buried within its 160 pages, like really rubbish buried treasure, are an incessant stream of life pro-tips masquerading as “realisations” from the main character. They include those old chestnuts: it's not the destination it's the journey; the real treasure was with you all along; don't trust an Arab; and of course, if you fall in love at first sight and are sure you've met your soulmate then it's probably nothing, but if you then fall in love at first sight with a second person and are convinced that they are your soulmate, then you're probably right this time. (It's never made clear how this sits with the Arabic proverb mentioned, that if something happens once it won't happen again, but if it happens twice then it'll happen a third time.)

Quite what all the fuss is about, I honestly don't see. The Alchemist isn't offensively bad, just a bit rubbish. Nor is the writing awful, just uninspiring. And I suppose that's the problem. Clearly this little work is supposed to be moving, inspiring, and life changing. Yet here I sit, unmoved, uninspired, and my life has been utterly unchanged. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

“Hey, heart.”
“Hey, Lee.”
“Hell if I know, Lee. I just tell jokes then pump blood around your body.”
“Oh, okay then. Well then just tell me a joke.”
“Alrighty. How about this one. Knock knock.”
“Who's there?”
“The interrupting cow with poor comic timing.”
“The interrupting cow with poor comic timing who?”
“Moo.”
“…”
“B'dum.”

leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
An interesting, quick read that gives a good perspective that should, to some degree, be included in everyone's outlook on life. ( )
  dayspring83 | Jul 3, 2020 |

Ohlbaum, IsoldePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
The alchemist picked up a book that someone in the caravan had brought. (Prologue, trans Clifford E. Landers)
The boy's name was Santiago.
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
"Always heed the omens", the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations.

Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams.
Santiago, shepherd,
gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
lures millions into parting
with their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

3 1924

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,901,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible