The Stars My Destination (1956)

by Alfred Bester

5,4951531,456 (4.01)2 / 308
Gully Foyle, Mechanic's Mate 3rd Class, is the only survivor on his drifting, wrecked spaceship. When another space vessel, the Vorga, ignores his distress flares and sails by, Foyle becomes a man obsessed with revenge. He endures 170 days alone in deep space before finding refuge on the Sargasso Asteroid and then returning to Earth to track down the crew and owners of the Vorga. But, as he works out his murderous grudge, Foyle also uncovers a secret of momentous proportions.… (more)
    The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (timspalding)
    timspalding: The rest of Bester isn't very good. These two are great.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired The Stars My Destination.
    Ubik by Philip K. Dick (falls)
    Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (EatSleepChuck)
    Join by Steve Toutonghi (47degreesnorth)
    Camp Concentration by Thomas M. Disch (Anonymous user)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (pnorth)
    pnorth: Another book based on The Count of Monte Cristo but closer to the original than Bester's.

English (148)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (152)
Hard to believe that this book is 60 years old. Except for referring to African-Americans as "Negro" (not even in a derogatory way), this book could easily have come out within the last few years. Obviously it holds up very well. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
This was phenomenal. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
Horrendous, zero quality drivel, from start to end. It showed how bad it was from the first few pages, but then I made the mistake of forcing myself to read it to the end, just to discover why many people gave it good reviews.

There is absolutely no reason I can think of why anyone might find this book enjoyable. It's one of the worst I've ever read. ( )
1 vote HellCold | Jul 9, 2021 |
For 1955, when this book was first published, this must have been earthshakingly original.
But today, sixty years later, the ideas have filtered and subsumed through modern culture as to almost be clichéd. I don't know if I agree with the morality espoused by the main character, or find his development from one phase to another plausible, but it certainly was a fascinating read. ( )
  harroldsheep | May 21, 2021 |
I like Bester's style and I was fascinated by the Count of Monte Cristo homage but Gully might honestly be one of the least appealing main characters I've ever encountered in fiction. It made it really hard for me to care what he did or what happened to him. Also the book felt slightly disjointed, which some parts awkwardly connected together with just the main character and his quest. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |

Sleight, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stege, GiselaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiger! Tiger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame they fearful symmetry?
~ Blake
To Truman M. Talley
This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure rich living and hard dying . . . but nobody thought so.
~ Prologue
He was one hundred and seventy days dying and not yet dead.
He was Gully Foyle, the oiler, wiper, bunkerman; too easy for trouble, too slow for fun, too empty for friendship, too lazy for love.
"Vorga, I kill you filthy."
It was an age of freaks, monsters, and grotesques. All the world was misshapen in marvelous and malevolent ways.
Gully Foyle is my nameAnd Terra is my nation.Deep space is my dwelling place,The stars my destination.
Bester's original title, used in the UK editions, was "Tiger! Tiger!" (a reference to the Blake poem). In the US: "The Stars My Destination", was the original title used for the publication in Galaxy magazine.

In a future where humans have learned how to teleport, provided they have previously physically seen their destination, Gully Foyle's is marooned in space, and he becomes obsessed with getting revenge after another spaceship passes him by.
Don't mess with Gully.
He'll do whatever it takes
To fuck you over.

(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,366,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible