Meditations

by Marcus Aurelius

11,717128476 (4.11)1 / 155
Stirring reflections on the human condition provide a fascinating glimpse into the mind and personality of a highly principled Roman warrior and emperor of the 2nd century.
    The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius (johnxlibris)
    Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar (cometahalley)
    Enchiridion by Epictetus (Michael.Rimmer)
    Twenty-One Poems by Atal Bihari Vajpayee (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: I'm not claiming parity of quality or significance between Vaypayee and Marcus Aurelius, rather that it's interesting to consider the inner thoughts of a national leader in the context of their public actions.
    Markings by Dag Hammarskjöld (andejons)
    andejons: Two very different world leaders put down their philosophies. They turn out to be remarkably similar.
    Over levenskunst : de grote filosofen over het goede leven by Joep Dohmen (BartVanDerMeij)

English (112)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (123)
Meditações em 12 capítulos do estóico machão - stoic on steroids - Marcus Aurelius. Aprendemos que o maior bem é imortal, a virtude, aproveitamento máximo de nossa natureza, isenta dos altos e baixos inúteis dos prazeres. E que essa virtude é viver como se não houvesse amanhã, em um presente para o benefício público da humanidade, se embrenhando na política e na ação para beneficiar a comunidade, de modo direto, com a modéstia de ter apenas o necessário para garantir tal, e entendendo a inutilidade da imaginação, do excesso de conhecimento ou livros e outras frescuras. Atos sociais, sim, conforme o cosmos, e seguir a razão e a lei em tudo. Pois fora isso só há a morte, você que não será nada e lugar algum, indiferente às transformações dos átomos e incumbido pelos deuses para o social e o político. E que na série das coisas o que segue sempre é adequado ao que precede, por conexão racional. Há uma relação harmoniosa, conexão racional, e não sucessão pura, mas uma relação maravilhosa: a terra morrendo, se transforma em água, a água em ar, o ar em fogo e reversamente. ( )
  henrique_iwao | Aug 30, 2022 |
thoughtful words of the year 175 a.d.
  ErichF | Aug 24, 2022 |
Even after 2000 years the last great pagan emperor's notebook holds sway . Sometimes repetitive but timeless . ( )
  Vik.Ram | Aug 12, 2022 |
Written between the years 170 and 180 while on campaign, Marcus Aurelius' work Meditations is one of the most enduring works of philosophy ever penned by man. I read this book very slowly, in an attempt to absorb the wisdom and instruction within its pages, but it will take more than one reading to do that, for every word has meaning and impact. Why is this not required reading in our schools? It could easily teach our children everything they will ever need to know to navigate life well and live in happiness and peace.

Just a few of the more poignant and meaningful quotations from this work (although I could have abandoned these and selected ten others which were just as good):

1. Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

2.The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

3.Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

4. Dwell upon the beauty of life. Watch the stars and see yourself running with them.

5. If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

6. Our life is what our thoughts make it.

7. It is not death a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

8. If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.

9. How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.

10. How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life.

That Marcus Aurelius was one of the “five good emperors” does not surprise me. I had never thought that I would have found any joy in being a stoic, but I believe living your life according to the precepts he puts forward would bring both joy and peace. I will be re-reading The Meditations over the course of this year, one panel a night before going to bed seems like a good practice, to remind myself, as Marcus Aurelius was reminding himself, that a good life is found internally, not externally.
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
I recently re-read all three editions of Meditations that I currently have - it's one of my favorite books of all time. This is a new translation, and a very good one at that. The language here is brought more into the realm of modern English - very few anachronisms or dubious Victorian guff, and while that's mostly a good thing it loses a bit for me in the language, a wee bit too conversational for my taste.. It's other tiny drawback is a lack of footnotes, which I still find useful even after years of reading Marcus. On the other hand, if I had to choose an edition to introduce Stoic philosophy, this would be the one. I'll undoubtedly end up with more than one copy of this one at some point as well. ( )
  dhaxton | Jul 13, 2022 |
The translation doesn't shrink from anachronism (there's talk of atoms) and sometimes verges on the new age: "Stay centred on that", "Let it hit you". But it's sparky and slangily readable, and for those who know Marcus only as the Richard Harris character in Ridley Scott's Gladiator, this is a chance to become better acquainted.

As a critic once said, the Meditations are an "unassailable wintry kingdom". But in the desert of 2003, their icy blasts are refreshing and restorative. They tell you the worst. And having heard the worst, you feel less bad.

Marcus Aureliusprimary authorall editionscalculated
Segura Ramos, BartoloméTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staniforth, MaxwellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wester, EllenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wittstock, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My grandfather Verus: Character and self control.

Marcus Aurelius wrote 'Meditations' around 170 - 180, whilst on a campaign in central Europe, most probably in what is now Serbia, Hungary and Austria.
The 12 books that make up 'Meditations' were not written as an exercise in explaining his philosophy but rather as a personal notebook for self-improvement and study.
'Meditations' illustrates just how important the Stoic Epictetus was to Marcus as he quotes the Greek philosopher's famed 'Discourses' on more than one occasion. Epictetus was a legendary figure in Greek philosophy and many claim he is the greatest of the Stoics; texts that remain in existence from the period suggest that in his native Greece, he was even more popular than Plato.
As was previously mentioned, 'Meditations' was not written for public consumption but rather as an aid to personal development. Marcus wanted to change his way of living and thinking and to do this he embarked on a set of philosophical exercises. He would reflect on philosophical ideas and by writing them down and by repeating them he hoped to re-programme his mind and find his own philosophy to live by.One of the key exercises in the book discusses Marcus attempting to look at the world from 'the point of view of the cosmos' in a bid to try and look at life and the universe outside of the common and limited parameters of individual concerns.
“You have the power to strip away many superfluous troubles located wholly in your judgment, and to possess a large room for yourself embracing in thought the whole cosmos, to consider everlasting time, to think of the rapid change in the parts of each thing, of how short it is from birth until dissolution, and how the void before birth and that after dissolution are equally infinite.”
Marcus Aurelius died on March 17, 180, in the city of Vindobona which was situated where Vienna is today.
Live life with reason. / The cosmos doesn't need you. / Be still. Watch. Listen. (johnxlibris)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140449337, 0141018828, 0143566326

Liberty Fund, Inc

2 editions of this book were published by Liberty Fund, Inc.

Editions: 0865975116, 0865975108

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,767,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible