Meditations

by Marcus Aurelius

10,408113519 (4.12)1 / 144
A new translation, the first in thirty-five years, of one of the most influential and admired books of the ages, the reflections of Marcus Aurelius, Stoic philosopher and emperor of Rome 161-180 A.D., few books have meant as much to as many as Marcus Aurelius's Meditations. It remains a life-enhancing work of the basics of Stoic doctrine, Aurelius's life and career, the recurring themes and structure of the work's ongoing influence.… (more)

English (103)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (113)
Lots of CBT in this. :)
  RebeccaBooks | Sep 16, 2021 |
I'll be reading this again for sure. Again and again ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
I bought it when I had a bad roommate situation. I read this in fits and starts over the last few years. If I had a bad day or week, then I would pick it up and read a few entries. Probably a 2/2.5, but I'll give 3 stars for its therapeutic effect.

If there's anything of intellectual interest here, I am curious how the Logos of the Stoic world relates to the Dao from ancient Chinese thought. I'm sure there's a lot written on that already. But otherwise, this little book was not meant to be philosophically rich anyways, say, compared to an actual treatise on Stoicism. I used this book as the author did. To remind myself not to be angry at things or people I should not be angry about. To forgive myself about not being productive and to just get going now. To not fear the end of life, of relationships, of a temporary phase in one's career/efforts. To remember that I can't help others as effectively if I don't understand what my long-term priorities are and focus on them. ( )
  tonberrysc | Aug 20, 2021 |
This was a fun read, and I think it is a useful read during quarantine. I feel like - although Aurelius write this centuries ago - this can truthfully be applied to any time and place. He takes his situation as a Roman emperor and tries to figure out how to be the best at what he was, which is something we can all do (although not the Roman emperor part, lol). ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
Opium daddy who was also the god-king of the roman empire tells the common man to pull himself up by the bootstraps and be grateful for what he's got. There, I saved your 7 dollars, the gods will take care of the rest.
Don't recommend this book to depressed people if you don't know the first thing about depression. ( )
  Vertumnus | Jul 22, 2021 |
The translation doesn't shrink from anachronism (there's talk of atoms) and sometimes verges on the new age: "Stay centred on that", "Let it hit you". But it's sparky and slangily readable, and for those who know Marcus only as the Richard Harris character in Ridley Scott's Gladiator, this is a chance to become better acquainted.

As a critic once said, the Meditations are an "unassailable wintry kingdom". But in the desert of 2003, their icy blasts are refreshing and restorative. They tell you the worst. And having heard the worst, you feel less bad.

Marcus Aureliusprimary authorall editionscalculated
Segura Ramos, BartoloméTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staniforth, MaxwellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wester, EllenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wittstock, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My grandfather Verus: Character and self control.

Marcus Aurelius wrote 'Meditations' around 170 - 180, whilst on a campaign in central Europe, most probably in what is now Serbia, Hungary and Austria.
The 12 books that make up 'Meditations' were not written as an exercise in explaining his philosophy but rather as a personal notebook for self-improvement and study.
'Meditations' illustrates just how important the Stoic Epictetus was to Marcus as he quotes the Greek philosopher's famed 'Discourses' on more than one occasion. Epictetus was a legendary figure in Greek philosophy and many claim he is the greatest of the Stoics; texts that remain in existence from the period suggest that in his native Greece, he was even more popular than Plato.
As was previously mentioned, 'Meditations' was not written for public consumption but rather as an aid to personal development. Marcus wanted to change his way of living and thinking and to do this he embarked on a set of philosophical exercises. He would reflect on philosophical ideas and by writing them down and by repeating them he hoped to re-programme his mind and find his own philosophy to live by.One of the key exercises in the book discusses Marcus attempting to look at the world from 'the point of view of the cosmos' in a bid to try and look at life and the universe outside of the common and limited parameters of individual concerns.
“You have the power to strip away many superfluous troubles located wholly in your judgment, and to possess a large room for yourself embracing in thought the whole cosmos, to consider everlasting time, to think of the rapid change in the parts of each thing, of how short it is from birth until dissolution, and how the void before birth and that after dissolution are equally infinite.”
Marcus Aurelius died on March 17, 180, in the city of Vindobona which was situated where Vienna is today.
Live life with reason. / The cosmos doesn't need you. / Be still. Watch. Listen. (johnxlibris)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140449337, 0141018828, 0143566326

Liberty Fund, Inc

2 editions of this book were published by Liberty Fund, Inc.

Editions: 0865975116, 0865975108

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,425,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible