The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel,…

The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They… (2015)

by Peter Wohlleben

Series: The Mysteries of Nature Trilogy (1)

Are trees social beings? Forester and author Peter Wohlleben makes the case that, yes, the forest is a social network. He draws on groundbreaking scientific discoveries to describe how trees are like human families: tree parents live together with their children, communicate with them, support them as they grow, share nutrients with those who are sick or struggling, and even warn each other of impending dangers. Wohlleben also shares his deep love of woods and forests, explaining the amazing processes of life, death, and regeneration he has observed in his woodland.… (more)

English (42)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (49)
The Hidden Life of Trees is full of scientific facts and observations by a professional forester that show how communal, resourceful, and downright intelligent trees really are. It makes the perfect companion read to Richard Powers’ prizewinning novel The Overstory . ( )
  wandaly | Oct 3, 2019 |
The concept of this book was really interesting to me but I didn't love the way it was written. I found it repetitive and many chapters felt like filler to me. Definitely had a lot of cool information but I felt like I had to sift through a lot to get it. ( )
  munchie13 | Jun 30, 2019 |
A very interesting look through trees and in particular, forests and how the constituents interact, support and thrive. Interesting links between symbiotic and complex organisms like higher plants and fungal I are developed. Concepts like the world wood web are discussed. Interesting and will make you look at forests in a completely different way. ( )
  aadyer | Jun 12, 2019 |
The Hidden Life of Trees, tells you about trees (what else would it tell you about). It tells you how they perform Photosynthesis, how they communicate, and more. Another thing it makes a pretty big deal about is how trees need other trees. Did you know that when one tree is sick trees around it give the sick tree nutrients. Another interesting fact is that, to prolong the life of younger trees mother trees block lots of the sunlight from baby trees before they sprout. When people cut trees down or an animal starts eating trees, the tree being hurt sends gas out to the other trees in the area. This gas lets the other trees know to release toxins that make them taste gross. Trees can also taste. Tasting is important. Trees can taste the soil, and all of their vital nutrient in the soil. Tasting is also how trees know what are chemicals, and what are not.

This book was okay. It didn't really interest me, as I don't really like non- fiction books. I did think that it was pretty cool that this book was based off the forests in Germany. This book was also originally written in German too, but the English translation was fantastic. If you really like plants and nature, I would recommend this book for you, however I don't really like plants as much as I do animals, and I feel like maybe if it was about animals it would've really interested me. I think that Peter Wohlleben should write a book exactly like this, but about animals instead. I would rate this book 1.5 stars, just because it didn't really interest me. ( )
  LiliaP.G1 | Jun 2, 2019 |
A great introduction to the ecology of forests. The trees are only part of the equation; life and death in the forest stems from many inter-dependencies. It was interesting to learn how trees may sense, react and communicate changes in their environment. ( )
  brewbooks | Apr 14, 2019 |
Wohlleben's anecdotes are engaging, but sadly his book contains only a few.
added by MarthaJeanne | editNew Scientist, Sandrine Ceurstemont (Oct 29, 2016)

Peter Wohllebenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Billinghurst, JaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flannery, TimForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kytömäki, AnniForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simard, Dr. SuzanneAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tresca, CorinneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alle Natur, alles Wachsen, aller Friede, alles Gedeihen und Schöne in der Welt beruht auf Geduld, braucht Zeit, braucht Stille, braucht Vertrauen. (Hermann Hesse)
The Earth has its music for those who listen.
(William Shakespeare)
Years ago, I stumbled across a patch of strange-looking mossy stones in one of the preserves of old beech trees that grows in the forest I manage.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,924,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible