Howards End (1910)

by E. M. Forster

7,781119844 (3.99)486
Howard's End is a charming country house in Hertfordshire which becomes the object of an inheritance dispute between the Wilcox family and the Schlegel sisters. Through romantic entanglements, disappearing wills, and sudden tragedy, the conflict over the house emerges as a symbolic struggle for England's very future. A clear, vibrant portrait of life in Edwardian England, Howard's End deals with personal relationships and conflicting values.… (more)
    A Room with a View by E. M. Forster (sturlington)
    sturlington: Where A Room with a View is comedy, Howards End is tragedy.
    On Beauty by Zadie Smith (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: contemporary novel is an homage to Howard's End
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another Margaret who extends her sympathy across social strata.
    The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (Limelite)
1910s (2)
My TBR (98)
Modernism (122)

English (113)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (117)
Thoroughly delectable from beginning to end. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
Howards End is a country house, not a place.

First published in 1910, it felt good to exercise my 21st Century brain muscles on #38 on Modern Library's list of the 100 Best English-language novels of the 20th Century.

I liked the Schlegel sisters, Margaret and Helen, and their annoying brother, Tibby. All the intellectual conversations in this book were difficult at times to wrap my mind around, but well worth the effort.

My favorite part of the book was when they went to Queen's Hall, the "dreariest music-room in London, though not as dreary as the Free Trade Hall, Manchester" to hear Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. It was all described so wonderfully I had to pull that up on Spotify to see if I, like Helen, could envision goblins walking and elephants dancing.

Next up I want to watch the 1992 film and the 2017 4-part mini series. I'm curious to see how the very likeable Anthony Hopkins plays the horribly sexist, male chauvinist Henry Wilcox.

Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
There are books that you get into, and there are books that you just don't get into.

This is one book that I just did not relate to. Even though many people have recommended this book highly, for me - it went over my head! ( )
  RajivC | Jul 16, 2021 |
two liberal sisters interact with conventional family centered on country house
  ritaer | Jul 9, 2021 |
I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and I have meant to come back to write a review. I write these reviews here on GR mainly because in a year or two I will be back trying to recollect my thoughts on a book, and I hate when I realize that at the time I didn't write it.

Then, serendipity lead me to find a review of Howard's End written by Lydia Kiesling of "The Millions". I doubt that I could write any better review, so here it is. Enjoy it! ( )
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
"The season's great novel"
added by GYKM | editDaily Mail

"A fine novel"
added by GYKM | editGraphic

"My impression is that the writer is a woman of a quality of mind comparable to that of the Findlater sisters or to May Sinclair."
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

"A story of remarkably queer people"
added by GYKM | editWestern Mail

Pessarrodona, MartaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petherbridge, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Only Connect . . ."
Editor's Introduction
Idea for another novel shaping, and may do well to write it down.
One may as well begin with Helen’s letters to her sister.
Theatres and discussion societies attracted her less and less. She began to ‘miss’ new movements, and to spend her spare time re-reading or thinking . . . she had outgrown stimulants, and was passing from words to things. It was doubtless a pity not to keep up with Wedekind or John, but some closing of the gates is inevitable after thirty, if the mind itself is to become a creative power.
Only connect! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer.
Margaret greeted her lord with peculiar tenderness on the morrow. Mature as he was, she might yet be able to help him to the building of the rainbow bridge that should connect the prose in us with the passion. Without it we are meaningless fragments, half monk, half beasts, unconnected arches that have never joined into a man. With it love is born, and alights on the highest curve, glowing against the grey, sober against the fire. Happy the man who sees from either aspect the glory of these outspread wings. The roads of his soul lie clear, and he and his friends shall find easy-going.
The train sped northward, under innumerable tunnels. It was only an hour’s journey, but Mrs. Munt had to raise and lower the window again and again. She passed through the South Welwyn Tunnel, saw light for a moment, and entered the North Welwyn Tunnel, of tragic fame. She traversed the immense viaduct, whose arches span untroubled meadows and the dreamy flow of Tewin Water. She skirted the parks of politicians. At times the Great North Road accompanied her, more suggestive of infinity than any railway, awakening, after a nap of a hundred years, to such life as is conferred by the stench of motor-cars, and to such culture as is implied by the advertisements of antibilious pills. To history, to tragedy, to the past, to the future, Mrs. Munt remained equally indifferent; hers but to concentrate on the end of her journey.
They were both at their best when serving on committees. They did not make the mistake of handling human affairs in the bulk, but disposed of them item by item, sharply. ... It is the best—perhaps the only—way of dodging emotion.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118213X, 0141199407

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,325,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible