dismiss

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the…

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking

by Samin Nosrat

Other authors: Wendy MacNaughton (Illustrator)

Whether you've never picked up a knife or you're an accomplished chef, there are only four basic factors that determine how good your food will taste. Salt, Fat, Acid, and Heat are the four cardinal directions of cooking, and they will guide you as you choose which ingredients to use and how to cook them, and they will tell you why last minute adjustments will ensure that food tastes exactly as it should. This book will change the way you think about cooking and eating, and help you find your bearings in any kitchen, with any ingredients, while cooking any meal. --… (more)
Recently added byyfarrington, yulischeidt, private library, gakgakg, venusian, haakonkindem, Spurts, alizarin

This is really good. Not only is there a lot of good information, but it is well presented and interesting to read.

The original is American, and I have the British edition with metric measurements. The translation is fairly good compared to some I've seen, although I won't buy a second package of marzipan if I find a 1/4 kilo package, just because the recipe calls for 255g. However there are a few places where whoever changed things didn't pay enough attention to the context, and some rather peculiar things resulted. ( )
1 vote MarthaJeanne | Aug 12, 2019 |
I'm a fairly confident cook. Reading this book was like seeing a map of my neighborhood for the first time. I had intuitive knowledge about these different dimensions of food, but had no such framework for thinking about my cooking. This helps me orient myself when I'm cooking and points out areas where I haven't explored as much. So I highly recommend it. I myself couldn't put it down.

Some people complain that the recipes are too vague. That's the point, dummies! Learn to trust your senses!

I do want someone to give me a similar framework for thinking about spices and herbs - that was sort of handwaved in this book, and I accept that, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. ( )
  haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
The most amazing cookbook ever. I learned I have been using the wrong salt my whole and life and just that one little thing has made my food more flavorful already. Can't wait to apply the rest! ( )
  bookwormteri | May 22, 2019 |
Even though recipes of course aren’t available on the audiobook, it’s really fun listening to Samin read this. I checked the audiobook out of the library, but I will likely buy the physical book because I definitely want to refer back to it many times. She’s made cooking sound so amazingly fun, and I actually want to dig into my cookbooks again and make some stuff. Highly recommend this; also as a side note I don’t have Netflix so haven’t seen her show but am sure it’s fun just from listening to Samin here. ( )
  spinsterrevival | Apr 22, 2019 |
UPDATE: I purchased the hardcover and it's incredible! I love all the illustrations and the charts that help you break down the flavors and cooking styles that work well together.

I enjoyed this one, but wished I'd read a hard copy instead of the audio version. I love that she shares her own mistakes as a young chef and works practical advice for improving your cooking in your own home. She also incorporates spice and cooking tips from cultures around the world. I wanted to take notes on some of her cooking tips. If you enjoy this, I'd highly recommend the author's Netflix series of the same name. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jan 31, 2019 |

Nosrat, Saminprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacNaughton, WendyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pollan, MichaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anyone who likes to eat, can soon learn to cook well.
--Jane Grigson
For Alice Waters, who gave me the kitchen, and for Maman, who gave me the world

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,612,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible