The Tattooist of Auschwitz (2018)

by Heather Morris

Other authors: Gary Sokolov (Afterword), Cecilie Winger (Translator)

Series: The Tattooist of Auschwitz (1)

6,1092321,606 (3.98)1 / 91
"In April 1942, Lale Sokolov, a Slovakian Jew, is forcibly transported to the concentration camps at Auschwitz-Birkenau. When his captors discover that he speaks several languages, he is put to work as a T├Ątowierer (the German word for tattooist), tasked with permanently marking his fellow prisoners. Imprisoned for more than two and a half years, Lale witnesses horrific atrocities and barbarism--but also incredible acts of bravery and compassion. Risking his own life, he uses his privileged position to exchange jewels and money from murdered Jews for food to keep his fellow prisoners alive. One day in July 1942, Lale, prisoner 32407, comforts a trembling young woman waiting in line to have the number 34902 tattooed onto her arm. Her name is Gita, and in that first encounter, Lale vows to somehow survive the camp and marry her"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (tina1969)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Vicki-Hale)
    Vicki-Hale: Night is a story of a young boy surviving Auschwitz and other camps. Elie gives a heartbreaking inside look into life as a Jew in Nazi Germany

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 75 Books Challenge for 2022: Hello i'am new9 unread / 9Tidy69, August 2022

English (233)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (2)  All languages (240)
I couldn't put this book down. It had me hooked! Don't get me wrong, this is a hard story to read (because of the awful things that happen), but it's a story of strength and courage and one that will stick with my the rest of my life. Reading this book, I felt like I knew this man so well he was family. That shows me how brilliant written this is and how enthralling it was. I really commend this author, this is absolutely brilliant. One of my all time favourites.
  KB23 | Mar 12, 2024 |
Wow! I had put off reading this one because I thought it was going to be depressing and hard to read. While it was at times depressing, overall it was a fascinating read. A quick read - I read it in one day.

This is a love story that starts in Auschwitz. It tells the true story of Lale and Gita. Lale is the tattooist because he can speak several languages. While performing his job one day, he falls in love with Gita. He vows to her that they will get out of the camp alive. He is very enterprising and finds ways to ensure that they both (and some of her friends) stay alive.

This is a beautifully written love story during the horrors of Auschwitz. ( )
  Cathie_Dyer | Feb 29, 2024 |
War
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
Great Historical Fiction based on accounts of a survivor of the Auschwitz Death Camp. A beautiful story, well written of the life of Lale Eisenberg (Sokolov) and his eventual wife, Gita. I read it with my 13 year old daughter and we both loved the book which was hard to put down. ( )
  ZachMontana | Feb 8, 2024 |
In 1942 Lale was transported to Auschwitz, the very name sending a shiver to all who know of it. He manages to gain the job of the tattooist to new arrivals which gives him a relatively better situation.

He comes across a female prisoner and is immediately taken by her.

There follows the most unlikely love story. We go through all the terrible situations with him. Violence, starvation and illnesses are never far away.

To me the simplicity of the language used is one of the strengths of this book. In many ways every day is much the same as the one before and along with the prisoners we sense the tedium. Friendships blossom but then end abruptly when someone disappears and sadly we are well aware what that means

Of course the true strength of the story is knowing that it's based on truth and these people did live.

I definitely recommend it ( )
  Northern_Light | Feb 6, 2024 |

Morris, Heatherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sokolov, GaryAfterwordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winger, CecilieTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Armitage, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuomisto, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To the memory of Lale Sokolov. Thank you for trusting me to tell your and Gita's story.
Lale tries not to look up. (Prologue)
He drops to his knees and dry retches. He has nothing to bring up; the only fluid in his body is tears.
Choosing to live is an act of defiance, a form of heroism.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Heather Morris's book The Tattooist of Auschwitz was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,083,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible