Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert

Season of the Witch (2007)

by Natasha Mostert

This was actually a pretty decent story. It started off slowly and I had very little interest, but I pushed through and ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

The "magic" in this book is one I had not really encountered before and was done in such a way that anyone could grasp and understand it.

The characters were all wonderfully done. The sisters were the perfect amount of mysterious and haughty. Isidore was the classical messy super intelligent side kick.

Gabriel was the classical arrogant protagonist who learns a great lesson and learns the price of his actions through loss. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I really struggled with this book and have not managed to finish it. I have added it to my 'books not finished' list in order to come back to it at a later date. ( )
  bollydophie2016 | Mar 24, 2016 |
This was my first book by Natasha Mostert, and I really, really loved it. My only "complaint" was the ending (I kind of didn't get it...or why she ended it like she did), but I understand an author's vision is just that. And I respect it. Love the way she writes. Loved learning about memory palaces...fascinating stuff. ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
4.5 stars

I have a confession to make. I downloaded Season of the Witch and two other Natasha Mostert books from NetGalley over a year ago, but because they were independently published, they were not high on my TBR list. I should know better; since joining Goodreads, I have discovered several excellent indie authors, so I have no idea where my prejudice against Mostert's books came from. Fortunately, Season of the Witch was selected as a May Book of the Month by Modern Good Reads, prompting me to figuratively dust off my copy, and I was quickly enthralled by Mostert's tale of remote viewers, memory palaces, alchemy, and witchcraft. I was familiar with all of these concepts already, but Mostert brought all of the disparate elements together in a new way, emphasizing the idea that science and magic might just be two sides of the same coin.

What prevented me from giving Season of the Witch a full 5-star rating was Mostert's tendency to raise potential plot threads, only to drop them without development or discussion. In a classic murder mystery, these might be brushed off as red herrings meant to misdirect the reader away from the killer's true identity, but in this case, there was no real mystery to be solved.

Minor quibbles aside, I thoroughly enjoyed Mostert's storytelling skill, which kept me fully engaged with Gabriel, Minnaloushe, and Morrighan even when the technicalities of the memory palace lost me. I highly recommend Season of the Witch to fantasy readers, and I'm moving Mostert's other books to the top of my TBR list.

I received a free copy of Season of the Witch through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BrandieC | May 11, 2015 |
For Carl: pint-sized warrior
He was at peace: his brain no longer blooming like a crimson flower.

The Matrix meets Interview with the Vampire in this sexy gothic thriller about two beautiful witch sisters and the love triangle that consumes the information thief who is drawn into their intrigues.

Season of the Witch tells the story of Gabriel Blackstone: hacker, information thief, and skilled "remote viewer." Asked by a former lover to investigate the disappearance of her stepson, Gabriel’s suspicions fall on Minnaloushe and Morrighan Monk, two beautiful sisters who live in a rambling Victorian house in London. Independently wealthy, the sisters spend their time dabbling in alchemy and the ancient Art of Memory—invented by the Greeks and used by alchemists and magi such as Giordano Bruno and Leonardo Da Vinci. The sisters are white, or "solar," witches, who aim to use alchemy not to turn lead into gold but to attain ultimate knowledge and therefore ultimate power. Gabriel soon becomes convinced that his client’s son had been murdered and that one of the women is the killer. But which one?

As Gabriel infiltrates the world of the sisters, he finds himself drawn inexorably deeper— becoming entranced even as he realizes that he is in mortal danger. When he is caught snooping, Gabriel must race to unlock their secrets before they can retaliate. To save himself— and the one he loves, presuming she is not guilty—Gabriel will have to fight one of the sisters within the landscape of her own mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

Asked by a former lover to investigate the disappearance of her stepson, information thief and skilled "remote viewer" Gabriel Blackstone begins to investigate a pair of beautiful witch sisters who use their magic to attain vast levels of power.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,472,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible