The Crucible by Arthur Miller

The Crucible (1953)

by Arthur Miller

11,202122349 (3.65)216

English (114)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All languages (119)
This is a play that is based on historical people and real events. It tells the story of the Salem witches in Massachusetts in the 1600s. There is a group of teenage girls that were caught practicing witchcraft in the woods, but turn the tables and confess to seeing at least 100 women and men in the town with the Devil. The courts believe the children and arrest all the people they name.

This story was quite good. I live in Massachusetts, and enjoyed visiting Salem and learning about the witch trials. I shook my head several times reading this book - did these adults really take the word of these children over well respected men and women in the town? If these adults confessed - they were let go. If they didn't confess - even though they weren't guilty, they were hanged. Huh? Madness. Many women and men died because they were accused and tried in court for witchcraft, and they were hanged even if they were innocent. Incredible.

I recommend this book. It was well written, and flowed nicely, and the story was easy to read. Check it out. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Fred Wood's copy from Marietta High School
  Savornin | Dec 19, 2018 |
Script I used when playing Rev. Parris at ND
  Savornin | Dec 19, 2018 |
I read this play in my junior year of high school. The best part about this book at that time was that I was chosen to read the part of Abigail and my biggest crush was picked as John Proctor! Re-reading this almost 20 years later has been enlightening. I wish some of these books were still studied by students in today's high schools. This book definitely taught me in my youth about the frenzy of group mentality. As I read it now, I was struck by how much more I could relate to the Proctors. Elizabeth seemed to go from tragic (back in the day) to heroic (present). I still cannot imagine living in that time period. I know there is a connection to McCarthyism, but I didn't live through that period either, so I don't have a very educated opinion there. I get the reference to the group frenzy again. Overall, I still enjoy this play! ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
Absolutely love. Lucky enough to live near Salem and haven gotten to see many of the sites ( )
  mollygerry | Nov 19, 2018 |

Miller, ArthurAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bigsby, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watts, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, E. R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary
A small upper bedroom in the home of Reverend Samuel Parris, Salem, Massachusetts, in the spring of the year 1692.
A Note on the Historical Accuracy of This Play

This play is not history in the sense in which the word is used by the academic historian.
PROCTOR: I have trouble enough without I come five mile to hear him preach only hellfire and bloody damnation. Take it to heart, Mr. Parris. There are many others who stay away from church these days because you hardly ever mention God any more.
PARRIS: There is a party in this church. I am not blind; there is a faction and a party.

PROCTOR: Against you?
PUTNAM: Against him and all authority.
PROCTOR: Why, then I must find it and join it.
PARRIS. Why could there not have been poppets hid where no one ever saw them?

PROCOTR. There might also be a dragon with five legs in my house, but no one has ever seen it.

Arthur Miller's, The Cucible, is a play that is based on the tragic event in history of the Salem Witch Trials in Salem, Massachusetts. Presenting the themes of right and wrong, truth and decit, and prejudice and accepance, The Crucible causes its readers to reflect on their own morals and standards along with informing them of a terrible moment in America's past where many innocent people lost their lives. I really enjoyed this book; and the ideas and challenges it presents seem to be very valuable and insighful.

Based on historical people and real events, Arthur Miller's play uses the destructive power of socially sanctioned violence unleashed by the rumors of witchcraft as a powerful parable about McCarthyism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:08 -0400)

"I believe that the reader will discover here the essential nature of one of the strangest and most awful chapters in human history," Arthur Miller wrote in an introduction to The Crucible, his classic play about the witch-hunts and trials in seventeenth-century Salem, Massachusetts. Based on historical people and real events, Miller's drama is a searing portrait of a community engulfed by hysteria. In the rigid theocracy of Salem, rumors that women are practicing witchcraft galvanize the town's most basic fears and suspicions; and when a young girl accuses Elizabeth Proctor of being a witch, self-righteous church leaders and townspeople insist that Elizabeth be brought to trial. The ruthlessness of the prosecutors and the eagerness of neighbor to testify against neighbor brilliantly illuminate the destructive power of socially sanctioned violence. Written in 1953, The Crucible is a mirror Miller uses to reflect the anti-communist hysteria inspired by Senator Joseph McCarthy's witch-hunts in the United States. Within the text itself, Miller contemplates the parallels, writing: "Political opposition ... is given an inhumane overlay, which then justifies the abrogation of all normally applied customs of civilized behavior. A political policy is equated with moral right, and opposition to it meets with diabolical malevolence."… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,573,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible