Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave (1845)

by Frederick Douglass

A dramatic autobiography of the great 19th century black leader and abolitionist.
    Autobiography of Josiah Henson: An Inspiration for Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom by Josiah Henson (HistReader)
    HistReader: Both men discuss their treatment and lifestyle under subjection as slaves.
    The Life of Olaudah Equiano by Olaudah Equiano (joririchardson)
    To Be a Slave by Julius Lester (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: If your enjoyed the poignant narrative of Frederick Douglass, you will be moved by the perserved accounts of slave life in this book.
    The Mind of Frederick Douglass by Waldo E. Jr. Martin (eromsted)

English (98)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (103)
Have thoroughly enjoyed and been taught well by the insights from Frederick Douglass' narrative, "An American Slave" - highly recommend reading http://bit.ly/1wUkIzA - "I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted." The information and perspective is valuable beyond even it's historical significance and application can be found in day-to-day life. ( )
  fsckeith | Jan 4, 2021 |
Why was this not required reading in any of my schooling?! ( )
  Mike_B | Oct 22, 2020 |
I would have given it 5 stars, but it was very difficult to get through some parts because of the absolute brutality he faced. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Frederick Douglass recounts his life as a slave and his eventual freedom. He endured beatings, whippings, hunger, and multiple setbacks before finally escaping the clutches of slavery. He tells his story with quiet grace, but with a steely core that demonstrates how resilient he had to be to survive. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jul 23, 2020 |
I was really looking forward to how he escaped slavery. And then he patiently explained why he didn't put those details into the narrative. Similarly he did not spare naming those who were cruel, but in cases where it might "embarras" those who were kind and good, he refrained from naming them. He did that so well.

Wow, it takes a long time from society to change from the idea that slavery is acceptable to where all men truly are accepted as equal. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |

Frederick Douglassprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, Houston A., Jr.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blight, David W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dworkin, IraEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gomes, Peter J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Meally, Robert G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was born in Tuckahoe, near Hillsborough, and about twelve miles from Easton, in Talbot country, Maryland.

Legacy Library: Frederick Douglass

Frederick Douglass has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Frederick Douglass's legacy profile.

See Frederick Douglass's author page.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300087012, 0300088310

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,571,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible