Alec (2021)

by William Di Canzio

William di Canzio's Alec, inspired by Maurice, E. M. Forster's secret novel of a happy same-sex love affair, tells the story of Alec Scudder, the gamekeeper Maurice Hall falls in love with in Forster's classic, published only after the author's death. Di Canzio follows their story past the end of Maurice to the front lines of battle in World War I and beyond. Forster, who tried to write an epilogue about the future of his characters, was stymied by the radical change that the Great War brought to their world. With the hindsight of a century, di Canzio imagines a future for them and a past for Alec--a young villager possessed of remarkable passion and self-knowledge. Alec continues Forster's project of telling stories that are part of "a great unrecorded history." Di Canzio's debut novel is a love story of epic proportions, at once classic and boldly new.… (more)

Lovely, joyous, heart-rending, brilliant. Based on Forster, but just as reminiscent of Proust. If you’ve read Maurice, this is a true gift. ( )
  susanbooks | Jul 25, 2023 |
Di Canzio’s novel, published in 2021, is the story of Alec and Maurice, the lovers of E.M. Forster’s novel Maurice, written in 1913 but only published in 1971, the year after his death.

Where Forster’s novel is written from the viewpoint of Maurice, Di Canzio’s is from of Alec’s point of view. And he tells the story of what happens after the ending of Forster’s book. What follows is, In my opinion, one of the greatest love stories in literature. This is a story of how strong and deep love can be and all the hardships it can overcome.

Di Canzio’s writing style breathes that of the period where the story is set in, early twentieth century. The story deals with class, war, shellshock, found family, but above all: fierce love.

Reading this sublime novel made me think of David Leavitt’s While England Sleeps and also, near the end, of Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham who wrote about Alec: “Just when it began to seem that I couldn’t read E. M. Forster’s Maurice one more time, as much as I love it, here’s Alec, William di Canzio’s brilliant reimagining of Forster’s classic. Alec extends Maurice, delivers it to us intact but refreshed and reconsidered. I, for one, am extremely grateful."
  leoslittlebooklife | Sep 20, 2022 |
Maurice by E.M. Forster is a literary classic, and Maurice and Alec are a beloved, iconic couple.
So I was ecstatic to learn of this sequel to the classic novel.
It was authorized by Forster's estate, so I knew the material would be treated with reverance.
This is primarily Alec's back story and then it gives us a retelling of their first
meeting and declarations of love.
It's a new world for our boys as they balance their love within the confines of the law and then the heartbreaking separation by the war.
It's a sexy, brilliant, heartfelt, beautifully written reimanging of a classic.
This is highly recommended, a must read for anyone who has ever wondered what happened to Maurice and his beloved "Scudder".
I loved it. ( )
  silversurfer | Aug 22, 2022 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

For Jim
Early in the spring of 1893, in the village of Osmington in Dorset, the Scudders, Aderyn (nee Prothero, from Cardiff) and her husband, Elwood (the butcher), were surprised and not entirely pleased to discover that she was with child.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,997,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible