The Mysterious Affair at Styles (1920)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (1)

Set in the summer of 1917, the story follows the war-wounded Hastings to the Styles St. Mary estate of his friend John Cavendish. The Cavendish household is wrought with tension due to the marriage of John's widowed mother to a suspicious younger man. In the village, Hastings runs into his old friend Hercule Poirot and, when the estate's trouble turns deadly, the friends unite to solve a most baffling case.… (more)

English (235)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (251)
A very delightful mystery. I had no idea who the perp was going to be. ( )
  FaithBurnside | Aug 17, 2022 |
This mystery is more than a bit convoluted, but it was an enjoyable listen. ( )
  natcontrary | Aug 16, 2022 |
I was looking for something lighter to read, and knowing the RFP group had this Christie going at the moment, decided this would be a good day for that. I truly enjoyed this murder romp with so many red herrings that I completely lost count. I changed my mind about who the culprit was right up to the end, and adored the clever way in which Poirot kept his sidekick, Hastings, in the dark. In fact, the sidekick added a great deal of humor to the book, so easily led down any path that seemed the most convenient.

I was musing at why this story was so enjoyable when the last two Christie’s I read left me feeling let down. I realized it was because I had never heard this story before. I had not an inkling as to where it was going, and Poirot was like a new character to me. I think I might have gotten a glimpse of what original readers must have felt on reading Christie and an explanation of what made her so enormously popular.

No need to discuss the plot, it is typical of a good Poirot novel, it twists and turns and leads one toward and away from the actual murderer numerous times. It has a complicated set of characters and people with possible motives and opportunities, but in the end it leaves you sighing “of course”.
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
I love Hercule Poirot, and I think David Suchet's long-running portrayal of the Belgian detective is perfect.

The books are harder to read than the TV and movie renditions. Definitely written for an earlier era, with a little too much "tell" instead of "show" in my opinion. I definitely prefer thrillers to pure mysteries.

sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
Hastings on edelleen raivostuttava, mutta siitä huolimatta kirja oli hyvä. Neljä tähteä, koska kirja oli ensi kosketukseni Christien tuotantoon ja myöskin ensirakkauteni samassa kategoriassa ja olen puolueellinen. Oikeastaan kolme tähteä olisi osuvampi. ( )
  AceVonS | Jul 14, 2022 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

To my Mother
The intense interest aroused in the public by what was known at the time as "The Styles Case" has now somewhat subsided.

Set in the summer of 1917 in an Essex country estate, the story follows the war-wounded Captain Arthur Hastings to the Styles St. Mary manor of his friend John Cavendish. The Cavendish household is wrought with tension due to the marriage of John's widowed old aunt Emily, she of a sizeable fortune, to a suspicious younger man, Alfred Inglethorp, twenty years her junior. Emily's two stepsons, John and Lawrence Cavendish, as well as John's wife Mary and several other people, also live at Styles. Late one night, the residents of Styles wake to find Emily Inglethorp dying. When Emily's sudden heart attack is found to be attributable to strychnine, Hastings, who had runs into his old friend, the Belgian Hercule Poirot, he recruits him to aid in the local investigation. With impeccable timing, Hercule Poirot, the insightful retired detective, makes his dramatic entrance to solve a most baffling case.

Who poisoned the wealthy Emily Inglethorpe, and how did the murderer penetrate and escape from her locked bedroom? Suspects abound in the quaint village of Styles St. Mary--from the heiress's fawning new husband to her two stepsons, her volatile housekeeper, and a pretty nurse who works in a hospital dispensary. On the day she was killed, Emily Inglethorp was overheard arguing with someone, most likely her husband, Alfred, or her stepson, John. Afterwards, she seemed quite distressed and, apparently, made a new will--which no one can find. Nobody can explain how or when the strychnine was administered to Mrs. Inglethorp. High on Poirot's list of suspects are: John Cavendish, the elder stepson; Mary Cavendish, his wife; Lawrence Cavendish, the younger stepson; Evelyn Howard, Mrs. Inglethorpe's companion; Cynthia Murdoch, her protegee; and Dr. Bauerstein, a mysterious stranger who lives in Essex. All have motive and opportunity but only Poirot can discover the truth.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102715, 1400109191

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,523,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible