Still Life by Louise Penny

Still Life (2005)

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1)

Recently added by65656565, private library, rena75, csobolak, KathySpann, Wapshin, e-zReader, kd_lawson
    The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (271)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (277)
Synopsis: An elderly woman is found shot with an arrow. At first people believed that it was a hunting accident, but as Inspector Gamache investigates, he finds that it was murder.
Review: This was a nice introduction to Louise Penny and the town of Three Pines. ( )
  DrLed | Dec 7, 2018 |
Very clever book. It contains very good character development and slow unfolding mystery that kept one engaged. ( )
  csobolak | Dec 6, 2018 |
This book is about a family living in South Carolina in the 1950’s whose story is told by thirteen-year-old Jubie Watts. As Jubie tells about the Watts family she also reveals the extreme racism that exists in the south during this time period. Even so, Jubie does not see black and white in people. To her, skin color is unimportant. Unfortunately, dreadful things happen and those events force her to mature and face life in a world that is not always kind. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Still Life - Penny
4 stars

There’s been a murder in a a small, rural community south of Montreal. It’s Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec gets the call to attend the crime scene with his team of investigators. It’s a good start for a mystery series.

I’ve had this book on my kindle for years without tapping into it. I usually listen to these kinds of books, but I wasn’t happy with Ralph Cosham’s performance. I did enjoy that story once I sat down with it. I liked the atmosphere of the community and the quirky characters. Inspector Gamache has personality that extends beyond his profession. I liked that the story revolved around a controversial work of art and that many of the characters were artists. The mystery had enough puzzle and suspense to maintain my interest without keeping me awake at night. I will probably read more of this series but I don’t think I’ll be listening to it. ( )
  msjudy | Oct 18, 2018 |
This idlyllic Montreal village is full of artists and quiet winter scenery. But, as in all worlds, it's also home to the darker side of our nature, which includes murder. We get to know the insightful inspector Gamache and his team, including a new, problematic member, as well as the witty, brilliant, and sometimes strange reisdents of Three Pines, as personal histories unfold and questions find their answers. ( )
  bufsemlibrary | Sep 26, 2018 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tse, EdwinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table. (From the third verse of 'Herman Melville' by W. H. Auden, quoted by Jane Neal in chapter one)
Every year the hunters shot cows and horses and family pets and each other. And, unbelievably, they sometimes shot themselves, perhaps in a psychotic episode where they mistook themselves for dinner. It was a wise person who knew that some hunters -- not all, but some -- found it challenging to distinguish a pine from a partridge from a person. (Chapter 1)
[Gamache is talking with Myrna Landers]

'The funny thing about murder is that the act is often committed decades before the actual action. Something happens, and it leads, inexorably, to death many years later. A bad seed is planted. It's like those old horror films from the Hammer studios, of the monster, not running, never running, but walking without pause, without thought or mercy, toward its victim. Murder is often like that. It starts way far off.' (chapter 7)

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:00 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,722,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible