Seize the Day by Saul Bellow

Seize the Day (1956)

by Saul Bellow

English (32)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
Story of the sort of wayward middle aged guy who is living in a hotel in NYC. His father is a doctor. About the guy's despair and failure.
  JoshSapan | May 29, 2019 |
Una novelita bastante buena. Me gustó el estilo de Bellow, que brinca a cada rato de lo muy trágico a lo muy simpático. Su personaje es bastante patético, sí, pero me cayó bien. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
A lo mejor no estaba en la mejor disposición para la lectura de este libro. No logré conectarme con Tommy Wilhelm. Toda su queja y llanto me recordaron a "El lamento de Portnoy" de Philip Roth, y aún así, aquel me pareció mucho más rico y hasta divertido. No quiero juzgar a Bellow a partir de esta obra, sé que es un gran escritor. Después de un tiempo quizás lea "Herzog"; por ahora, la lectura de este me hace buscar desesperadamente algo de emociones fuertes, algo que me mueva y me involucre. ( )
  andresborja42 | Mar 24, 2018 |
Perhaps it is the fact that we have read so many books in the club with pathetic, immature male characters but I did not like this book! In fact, I traded with someone rather than lead the discussion. I may try to read something else of his but this one was just too depressing and bleak. ( )
  Pat_Gibson | May 28, 2017 |
"Seize the day for what you can get from it."
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Aug 23, 2016 |
It is the intense world of the ordinary, the mean daily detail, the outrage of being alive, the existential sense of one's self as human creature, which is bravely at the center of Mr. Bellow's fiction. Each detail is cruel, plain, irremediable, yet one feels that it is about to burst forth into the radiance of consciousness.

When it came to concealing his troubles, Tommy Wilhelm was not less capable than the next fellow.
“Oh, God,” Wilhelm prayed, “Let me out of my trouble. Let me out of my thoughts, and let me do something better with myself. For all the time I have wasted I am very sorry. Let me out of this clutch and into a different life. For I am all balled up. Have mercy."
Bringing people into the here-and-now. The real universe. That's the present moment. The past is no good to us. The future is full of anxiety. Only the present is real--the here-and-now. Seize the day.
...in Los Angeles all the loose objects in the country were collected, as if America had been tilted and everything that wasn’t tightly screwed down had slid into Southern California.
Everyone was like the faces on a playing card, upside down either way.

Deftly interweaving humor and pathos, Saul Bellow evokes in the climactic events of one day the full drama of one man's search to affirm his own worth and humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:26 -0400)

The story of Tommy Wilhelm, an honest, hard-working man who has lost his job, his girlfriend, and part of his sanity as he heads to New York to pick up the pieces of his life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,345,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible