The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (2006)

by Michael Pollan

What should we have for dinner? When you can eat just about anything nature (or the supermarket) has to offer, deciding what you should eat will inevitably stir anxiety, especially when some of the foods might shorten your life. Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from a national eating disorder. As the cornucopia of the modern American supermarket and fast food outlet confronts us with a bewildering and treacherous landscape, what's at stake becomes not only our own and our children's health, but the health of the environment that sustains life on earth. Pollan follows each of the food chains--industrial food, organic or alternative food, and food we forage ourselves--from the source to the final meal, always emphasizing our coevolutionary relationship with the handful of plant and animal species we depend on. The surprising answers Pollan offers have profound political, economic, psychological, and even moral implications for all of us.--From publisher description.… (more)
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honoré (Musecologist)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler (AmourFou)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Mercy For Animals: One Man's Quest to Inspire Compassion and Improve the Lives of Farm Animals by Nathan Runkle (renardkitsune)
    Altered Genes, Twisted Truth: How the Venture to Genetically Engineer Our Food Has Subverted Science, Corrupted Government, and Systematically Deceived the Public by Steven Druker (davidgn)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar (Othemts)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (312)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (314)
Where does my food come from?

This book tries to answer the question on where our food comes from. It looks at every aspect of food from modern industrial producers to individual hunter and gathers. It provides a lot of interesting information and is for most part enjoyable to read. My main complaint about the book is that I found at times the author tended to be a little too reflective and navel gazing for my taste. Overall though I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning about where their food comes from ( )
  klrabbit58 | May 3, 2021 |
This will not turn you into a vegetarian, but it may turn you into a locavore. It inspires a thoughtful consciousness to what we eat that is enriching. Eventually, it returns us to the meaning of grace. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Pollan's writing is wonderful, he opens up this subject like sucessive leaves on a head of lettuce, peeling back leaf after leaf and exposing more and more of what's inside. I first read his treatise in the New York Times that appears in the beginning of the book back in 2001, and didn't realize that it was the same author.

I'll be thinking about this book, its ideas and revelations, for a long, long time.

Thanks to Glen for the recommendation. ( )
  wickenden | Mar 8, 2021 |
I learned things about food production that I would rather not know. I particularly enjoyed the section about mushrooms. ( )
  francesanngray | Mar 5, 2021 |
This book offers fresh insight that makes readers question where our own food comes from and how we can eat more sustainably. ( )
  Akacya | Feb 28, 2021 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gissinger, HansCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?
The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Readers Edition, and The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids are three separate works. Please do not combine them.
ISBN 0606087230 is for The Omnivore's Dilemma: The Secrets Behind What You Eat, Young Readers Edition

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,739,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible