The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (2006)

by Michael POLLAN

What should we have for dinner? When you can eat just about anything nature (or the supermarket) has to offer, deciding what you should eat will inevitably stir anxiety, especially when some of the foods might shorten your life. Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from a national eating disorder. As the cornucopia of the modern American supermarket and fast food outlet confronts us with a bewildering and treacherous landscape, what's at stake becomes not only our own and our children's health, but the health of the environment that sustains life on earth. Pollan follows each of the food chains--industrial food, organic or alternative food, and food we forage ourselves--from the source to the final meal, always emphasizing our coevolutionary relationship with the handful of plant and animal species we depend on. The surprising answers Pollan offers have profound political, economic, psychological, and even moral implications for all of us.--From publisher description.… (more)
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honoré (Musecologist)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler (AmourFou)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Altered Genes, Twisted Truth: How the Venture to Genetically Engineer Our Food Has Subverted Science, Corrupted Government, and Systematically Deceived the Public by Steven Druker (davidgn)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar (Othemts)
    Mercy For Animals: One Man's Quest to Inspire Compassion and Improve the Lives of Farm Animals by Nathan Runkle (renardkitsune)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (328)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (330)
Learn about corn! And what a capitalist industry can do for cheap abundant food (not to mention large scale organic food). Learn about local farms and ask yourself questions about where your food comes from! A fun roller coaster that’s super informative, deep, and disturbing at times. ( )
  ds_db | Apr 25, 2022 |
Disturbing book about our food supply. More disturbing than Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
Audiobook. Okay narration, excellent content. I know I should have been reading Pollan for years, and much of this book is stuff I already knew (thanks likely to his influence on the foodie culture that surrounds us).

The most interesting thing I learned from this book is just how many new age, environmental hypocrites there are out there. Many of the people who have recommended this book to me over the years have not significantly changed their lifestyle based upon the important knowledge they say is contained herein. Many are happy to embrace science when it comes to upbraiding conservatives about climate change, but continue to custom the health food industrial complex (I forget what Pollan dubbed it) despite its reliance on fossil fuels and subsidized monocrop agriculture. Having whatever dinner you like whatever week of the year you care to is still too important to most progressive environmentalists I meet. Convenience is the shoe in the door of crony capitalism. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |

invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
This was very revealing in many ways; I learned plenty. He rationalized more than I had hoped and disappointed me, but I am very glad I read it. Perhaps I just wanted him to stop eating meat because of the cruelty he found in the farming industry, rather than "solving" the dilemma by doing the killing himself for a grand, single meal thus justifying it, and so not condemning eating the horribly treated animals in industrial farms. I skipped the parts that talked about butchering, since I don't need to pay that price... ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

POLLAN, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gissinger, HansCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
GODOFF, AnnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HAGGAR, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?
The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Readers Edition, and The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids are three separate works. Please do not combine them.
ISBN 0606087230 is for The Omnivore's Dilemma: The Secrets Behind What You Eat, Young Readers Edition

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,516,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible