In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by…

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto (2008)

by Michael Pollan

English (173)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (175)
This one wasn't as much fun or interesting as the Omnivore's Dilemma or Botany of desire. I liked his structure better for those titles. There is some rehashing of information from Omnivore and a lot of the other information I had picked up in other places. (Except that bit about the dentist doing research in the 30s - that was pretty interesting) He also discounts nutritional research while relying on it. I probably should have read the book in print to have the advantage of a bibliography or any notes. The reader's tone verged on smug, which did not serve the material well. It's good information if you haven't read The Omnivore's dilemma. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
3.75 stars

Food is no longer what it used to be. It has been broken down into its parts (vitamins, nutrients, etc), some of those parts taken out and/or added back in, as studies find we need more or less of those parts. It has been overly processed. Pollan explains how this happened and what we can do to try to get back to eating real food, and hopefully stave off many diseases that seem to have ballooned since this overprocessing of food became the norm.

I found it quite interesting. There was some stuff I knew and some I didn't. Pollan writes in a way that the info is interesting and accessible, although there was a section in the middle where I did lose focus a few times (which is why I didn't quite rate it 4 stars). I didn't like it quite as much as The Omnivore's Dilemma, but still really interesting. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 2, 2019 |
This book taught me nothing new. I felt like he just took common sense advice, added a little bit of history to it, slapped his name on the cover and is raking in the big bucks for it. He also comes off as a very elitist snob - not everyone can afford quality food, what a shame, but I can!! YAY!!!.

Eat a lot of produce, don't overeat, shop the perimeter of the store, shop local when/if possible, don't make meat the star of your plate. I have read these things a million times. How is this actually a book? I'm glad I just rented it from the library and didn't purchase it. ( )
  thisismelissaanne | Oct 29, 2018 |
Awesome; very informative, yet slightly over my head. It made me want to go learn more about the crap I put in my body.
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
A disappointing follow-up to Omnivore's Dilemma, which was a wonderful book. There are a lot of things that Pollan is right about. His basic message: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." is great advice. What the book is missing is a nuanced approach to nutrition science, industrial agriculture, and what is wrong with the way most Americans eat. His black and white statements come across incredibly anti-science, particularly in the Age of Nutritionism section. He bashes all research that focuses on specific nutrients, but then goes on to praise Omega-3 research, the same of kind nutrient-specific research that he condemned in the previous 5 chapters.

Despite not liking this book, I am an overall fan of Pollan and his general message. This book is not in the same category as his others. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
It is better not to do acupressure directly before and after a meal. When performing a massage, breathe deeply and relax your muscles as much as possible.
Try to keep the pressure on the point constant and the finger does not move. Influence on each point from 1 to 3 minutes. Sometimes there may be a feeling of tension or numbness, sometimes of tingling or pain.
Do not press on the skin too much - your movements should be slow, cautious and at the same time rhythmic.
If after pressing in the point there is a feeling of pulsation, then the massage was performed correctly.

Michael Pollanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann and Gerry,
With gratitude for your loyal friendship
and inspired editing
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
…the "what to eat" question is somewhat more complicated for us than it is for, say, cows. Yet for most of human history, humans have navigated the question without expert advice. To guide us we had, instead, Culture, which, at least when it comes to food, is really just a fancy word for your mother.
Challenges current approaches to healthy eating, arguing that the real food consumed by past generations is being replaced with commercialized, scientifically altered foods that offer no health benefits and may cause serious damage, and encourages people to change the way they eat and return to basic nutrition rules.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143114964, Paperback)

Amazon Significant Seven, January 2008: Food is the one thing that Americans hate to love and, as it turns out, love to hate. What we want to eat has been ousted by the notion of what we should eat, and it's at this nexus of hunger and hang-up that Michael Pollan poses his most salient question: where is the food in our food? What follows in In Defense of Food is a series of wonderfully clear and thoughtful answers that help us omnivores navigate the nutritional minefield that's come to typify our food culture. Many processed foods vie for a spot in our grocery baskets, claiming to lower cholesterol, weight, glucose levels, you name it. Yet Pollan shows that these convenient "healthy" alternatives to whole foods are appallingly inconvenient: our health has a nation has only deteriorated since we started exiling carbs, fats--even fruits--from our daily meals. His razor-sharp analysis of the American diet (as well as its architects and its detractors) offers an inspiring glimpse of what it would be like if we could (a la Humpty Dumpty) put our food back together again and reconsider what it means to eat well. In a season filled with rallying cries to lose weight and be healthy, Pollan's call to action—"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."--is a program I actually want to follow. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:50 -0400)

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." These simple words go to the heart of food journalist Pollan's thesis. Humans used to know how to eat well, he argues, but the balanced dietary lessons that were once passed down through generations have been confused and distorted by food industry marketers, nutritional scientists, and journalists. As a result, we face today a complex culinary landscape dense with bad advice and foods that are not "real." Indeed, plain old eating is being replaced by an obsession with nutrition that is, paradoxically, ruining our health, not to mention our meals. Pollan's advice is: "Don't eat anything that your great-great grandmother would not recognize as food." Looking at what science does and does not know about diet and health, he proposes a new way to think about what to eat, informed by ecology and tradition rather than by the nutrient-by-nutrient approach.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible