dismiss

Henry IV, Part I

by William Shakespeare

"I feel that I have spent half my career with one or another Pelican Shakespeare in my back pocket. Convenience, however, is the least important aspect of the new Pelican Shakespeare series. Here is an elegant and clear text for either the study or the rehearsal room, notes where you need them and the distinguished scholarship of the general editors, Stephen Orgel and A. R. Braunmuller who understand that these are plays for performance as well as great texts for contemplation." (Patrick Stewart) The distinguished Pelican Shakespeare series, which has sold more than four million copies, is now completely revised and repackaged. Each volume features: * Authoritative, reliable texts * High quality introductions and notes * New, more readable trade trim size * An essay on the theatrical world of Shakespeare and essays on Shakespeare's life and the selection of texts… (more)

English (29)  Swedish (1)  All languages (30)
Still one of my most favorite histories, or at least part one of perhaps three. ;)

Our favorite wastrel, Prince Henry, Hal to his friends, a drunkard, a thief, the bosom buddy of dear fat old Falstaff, hides his bright sun behind vile clouds so as to shine all the brighter when his day finally arrives.

In here, of course, we establish the lout with a sharp mind and careful cunning, dissembling for all to see but careful of the long game. When his his father sore needs his son's aid, Hal comes to the rescue, throwing off all such base clouds, or as little as need be, to ensure both his father and the close court of his worthiness, and he does so with flying colors, killing the most worthy night in England, the poor Percy of the Hot Blood, and so restoring both his honor and his valor in both word and deed.

This, of course, is just the prelude. The foreshadowing. The stage upon such things as the Ides of March are set.

Ever since I first read this, I've always called such low tides in men "The Hal Effect".

"Let no one expect shit of thee, and when the time draws neigh, toot your horn and shock the living hell out of them."

;)

Seriously, Shakespeare? Who knew that when Will Shook his Spear, he'd ever have so much to say? ;) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
No. 18 in The People's Penny Shakespeare, this slim paperback has been used for a performance, intended for the person playing Hotspur. Pencil annotations on the cover suggest this and even the name of the actor, perhaps Miss Rucker - in pencil, with date 9/2/01, 7.30. Some redaction of text has been applied though crossings out and sticky paper.
  jon1lambert | Jun 1, 2020 |
2019 (link goes to a LibraryThing page with the review)
https://www.librarything.com/topic/301619#6776825 ( )
  dchaikin | Apr 18, 2020 |
Just reread this after finishing Richard II. I will move on to part 2 immediately. Interesting analysis by Folger of the Falstaff character. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Possibly going to see the RSC version of this (and part II) soon. Even if I don't, this is one of the good ones. Falstaff is one of Shakespeare's great characters, so it's always a pleasure to read this.

Also, Orson Welles has a really good version of these stories called Chimes at Midnight. ( )
  nushustu | Aug 5, 2019 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Towards the end of The First Part of King Henry IV, Prince Hal stands over two bodies.

Introduction, New Penguin Shakespeare.
So shaken as we are, so wan with care,

Find we a time for frighted peace to pant,

And breathe short-winded accents of new broils

To be commenc'd in stronds afar remote.
If all the year were playing holidays,

To sport would be as tedious as to work.
He hath eaten me out of house and home.
The better part of valor is discretion, in the which better part I have saved my life.
This work is for the complete Henry IV, Part I only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714561, 0141013664

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,896,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible