The Other Boleyn Girl (2001)

by Philippa Gregory

Series: Tudor Court: Chronological Order (3), Plantagenets and Tudors (9)

When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family's ambitious plots as the king's interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands.… (more)
    Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir (shamicnic, al.vick)
    shamicnic: This historical fiction book preceeds "Innocent Traitor" by telling the story of Anne Boleyn from the intriguing point of view of her sister, Mary Boleyn.
    Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir (meggyweg)
    The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George (citygirl)
    citygirl: Way better.
    Duchess: A Novel of Sarah Churchill by Susan Holloway Scott (cataylor)
    The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although The Twentieth Wife is set in Mughal India, not Tudor England, I think Sundaresan and Gregory write similar romance-infused history about a royal court populated by ambitious courtiers, including some scheming women.
    Mary Boleyn: The True Story of Henry VIII's Mistress by Josephine Wilkinson (meggyweg)
    The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Borgia Bride takes a look at another controversial historical figure - Lucrezia Borgia through the eyes of her sister-in-law. There is plenty of scandal, drama, and ambition.
    The rise and fall of Anne Boleyn : Family politics at the court of Henry VIII by Retha M. Warnicke (meggyweg)
    Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett (PatMock)
    The Concubine by Norah Lofts (carport)
    carport: I enjoyed this characterization of Anne Boleyn very much. Written in the 1950s, the book contains some inaccuracies, but is an excellent portrait of Henry VIII's notorious wife.

English (368)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (377)
Superbly written, captivating look at the story of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, told from the new and enchanting viewpoint of Mary Boleyn. Gregory's style is fluid and fits the era to a tee. This will not be the last book of hers that I will enjoy, I am sure. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
This book has been sitting on my shelf for a few years. I bought it because my cousin recommended it to me, and since that time I have had many many other recommendations. It just always seemed their was something a bit more pressing to read.

I finally started to read it last Sunday evening and finished it Wednesday morning. I enjoyed it so much I kept looking for excuses to leave what I was doing and go back to it. Gregory develops her characters extremely well, and they grow through the book in a way that is quite engaging. It must be remembered that except for those known facts her story is quite fictional. However, she develops the plot so well that I had to keep reminding myself of that fact. I do wish she had continued the story for a little longer. I cannot help but think thee could be a great deal of story development between the death of Anne and the marriage of her children to the next generation of courtiers and nobles.
1 vote M.J.Perry | Apr 21, 2022 |
The year is 1521. One of Mary Boleyn's uncle has just been ceremoniously executed; beheaded in front of the entire watchful community. Married at twelve years old, aristocrat Mary Boleyn no longer thinks life is a joke. She definitely isn't laughing when her father and uncle start putting Mary in King Henry the VIII's way. The devious plot is to woo the philandering king away from his Spanish wife who, horrors upon horrors, hasn't been able to produce an heir to the throne. Mary, successfully in capturing Henry's attention, also succeeds in giving Henry first a daughter and then a much needed son. Unfortunately, despite wanting this heir to the throne, King Henry desires every last ounce of Mary's attention. When motherhood agrees with Mary and she starts to dote on her children more than the needy king, she quickly loses favor with Henry and his court. This isn't good. The more dear a Boleyn girl is to the throne, the more her family benefits. Which is why no one cares when Mary's sister, Anne, begins to seduce the king right under Mary's nose. Never mind the king is married. Never mind that Mary is married. You get the picture. King Henry the VIII switches love interests as often as the tower beheads people.
The moral of the story is stand too close to the sun and you will get burned. Or beheaded. ( )
1 vote SeriousGrace | Mar 28, 2022 |
I've read this book countless times and it remains one of my favorites. It is because I like Mary Stafford nee Boleyn. I like watching the way she grows throughout the book and I like watching the changes in Anne Boleyn's personality. But my favorite part of the Mary's is when Queen Anne is arrested, being held in the tower, Mary comes to her defense. She mentions tutoring Anne in "whorish tricks", the constant pressure to keep the king's favor and to get pregnant at all costs. She asked, "Isn't it we, Howards who put her here in the first place?" In "The Other Boleyn Girl" you can see the contrast between the two Boleyn girls, and clearly, Anne wanted to be Queen and Mary did not. Mary is always driven by love. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyons, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

For Anthony
Spring 1521

I could hear a roll of muffled drums.

The King wants a son.
He'd better get one or else
Heads are gonna roll.

(Carnophile)
This book teaches us
Sisters really aren't always
Best Friends Forever.

(Carnophile)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,166,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible