The Sandman Vol. 06: Fables & Reflections (1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Duncan Eagleson (Illustrator), Dick Giordani (Illustrator), Vince Locke (Illustrator)7 more, Shawn McManus (Illustrator), P Craig Russell (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Jill Thompson (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator), Kent Williams (Illustrator), Stan Woch (Illustrator)

Other authors: Lovern Kindzierski (Colorist), Todd Klein (Letterer), Sherilyn van Valkenburgh (Colorist), Daniel Vozzo (Colorist), Gene Wolfe (Introduction)

Series: The Sandman (6 (Issues 29-31, 38-40, 50, Special 1, Vertigo Preview 1))

Written by Neil Gaiman; Art by Jill Thompson and Vince Locke; Painted Cover by Dave McKean Dream's youngest sister, the loopy Delirium, convinces him to go on a quest for their missing brother, Destruction. But Dream may learn that the cost of finding his prodigal sibling is more than he can bear.

Volume 6 of 10 in the Sandman series, this volume ties together all of the books. I didn't realize it when I read it the first time, but it is perfectly placed in the middle, recalling themes and stories from the first 5 volumes, and foreshadowing what is to come.

It is a set of 8 individual stories, all tied together by dreams and Morpheus and the larger story of the series. Some are great and completely self-contained (Ramadan and Soft Places), and others serve the purpose of unifying the big story (Orpheus and Thermidor). They are all good, and while it might seem like an interlude in the greater story, it is essential reading for the Sandman series. ( )
  evenlake | Mar 23, 2021 |
I enjoyed the retelling of the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice.

Also, li'l Death and li'l Morpheus? dawwwwwwwwww. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I think I like The Sandman series best when it's a series of vignettes, as opposed to one continuous story. Here, the variety of stories give me a better perception of Dream/Morpheus, and I appreciate the many facets of his character. I really liked the story of Orpheus. I feel that Gaiman looks at mythology and retells it in such a way that it feels new and fresh. The story of Ramadan is JUST fantastic. I might even teach that piece in my class this fall... ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
I like the shorts in this one. Short stories are my favourite.
Three Septembers and a January was nice because we got to see some of the other Endless. And, I learned about the actual emperor of the United States, Emperor Norton.

The Hunt I liked because I liked fairy tales. The relationship between grandpa storyteller and grandaughter was adorable, and Baba Yaga showed up - I liked her creepy chicken leg house!

I was very happy to see Fiddler's Green again in Soft Places, and his being so disgruntled about the explorers disappearing the soft places with their discovering.

Cain and Abel always make me sad because Abel hates dying all the time. They tell some lovely stories to baby Daniel in The Parliament of Rooks, along with Eve and Matthew (the raven). I especially liked the "L'il Endless" because they were SO CUTE.

Ramadan was gorgeously illustrated. The story was adorable as well...I loved the last couple panels where Dream is holding the city in a bottle. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
Not my favorite in terms of storylines, but I felt like there was a big improvement in the art at this point. It’s looking a lot more consistent. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Valkenburgh, Sherilyn vanColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, GeneIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lafeu: They say miracles are past; and we have our philosophical persons to make modern and familiar things supernatural and causeless. Hence it is that we make trifles of terrors, esconcing ourselves into seeming knowledge when we should submit ourselves to an unknown fear.
William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
I know the story, you see. I'm writing it all down for you. So it'll be remembered.
Rustichello of Pisa
Nine short stories for nine fine people, with affection and respect: For Steve Jones, James Herbert, Mary Gentle, Geoff Ryman, Colin Greenland, Ramsey Campbell, Roz Kaveney, John Chute and Lisa Tuttle. - Neil Gaiman
It was getting late, and I was losing it fast.
Terminus is the only god to whom Jupiter must bow.
But still I persist in wondering: what was Augustus afraid of? Why did he wake in the night, screaming...? Why was he angry? Why was he scared? I do not know his secret, and Augustus has taken it with him. To Olympus. Or to the grave.
I never saw him more. But, as the Years have passed, I have on Occasion, seen him in my Dreams. And, from that Time on, the Song of Orpheus has always hovered at the Edge of my Perception; a Melody I can never truly recapture, try howsoever I will. And do not doubt that there are many in Authority to whom I would sing it, if 'twere within my Power.
I've met a lot of kings, and emperors and heads of state in my time, Joshua. I've met them all. And you know something? I think I liked you best.

Collects "Fear of Falling," "Three Septembers and a January," "Thermidor," "The Hunt," "August," "Soft Places," "The Song of Orpheus," "The Parliament of Rooks" and "Ramadan," originally published in Vertigo Preview #1, The Sandman #29-31, 38-40, 50 and Sandman Special #1.

The critically acclaimed THE SANDMAN: FABLES AND REFLECTIONS continues the fantastical epic of Morpheus, the King of Dreams, as he observes and interacts with an odd assortment of historical and fictional characters throughout time. Featuring tales of kings, explorers, spies, and werewolves, this book of myth and imagination delves into the dark dreams of Augustus Caesar, Marco Polo, Cain and Abel, Norton I, and Orpheus to illustrate the effects that these subconscious musings have had on the course of history and mankind. -- from Vertigo(www.dccomics.com)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,161,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible