The Sandman: Fables & Reflections by Neil…

The Sandman: Fables & Reflections (1993)

by Neil Gaiman, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Duncan Eagleson (Illustrator), Dick Giordani (Illustrator), Vince Locke (Illustrator)7 more, Shawn McManus (Illustrator), P Craig Russell (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Jill Thompson (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator), Kent Williams (Illustrator), Stan Woch (Illustrator)

Other authors: Lovern Kindzierski (Colorist), Todd Klein (Letterer), Sherilyn van Valkenburgh (Colorist), Daniel Vozzo (Colorist), Gene Wolfe (Introduction)

Series: The Sandman TPBs (6), The Sandman (29-31, 38-40, 50, Special 1)

Recently added byprivate library, althaeria, dylzim, bardicpress, ez_reader, FraterDecus, MichaelandAndrea

This was one set of stories I didn't remember much at all from my reading back when the comics were first published. I tend to prefer the contemporary tales to the historical/mythological ones collected here. These were spread out in the original run, and grouped together they made me anxious to return to the present. Still, they are very good, and I think I appreciate them more now that I'm older. "Ramadan," in particular, is exquisite. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
In the introduction, Gene Wolfe says:

"... you will understand yourself and the world better for having read [this] and ... you will have been both ennobled and troubled by the experience ... this is not just art ... but great art."

I can give no better or more accurate review than this. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 24, 2018 |
Do you remember those days when you were young, singing in front of the campfire, listening to the stories those around you had to tell? Maybe a parent, maybe a grandparent or a sibling - but whoever it was who told the stories, they told them magnificently. You could close your eyes and see the past, not as it was, but as it should have been. You hung upon every word, and by the time the tale was over, for a day, two days, a week or more the images - the feelings - they stuck with you. They may not have been true stories, but still, the truth lived in them.

Thus is Fables and Reflections. Each tale is woven carefully, fact and fiction melding together to create a new truth. The figures are very real, the settings likewise so - and what unfolds? Well, all writers are liars who still speak a truth.

Magnificent. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
3.5 stars.

I love how Morpheus, or the Sandman, or the Dream King, is somehow entangled in so many stories throughout history, and in how many strange disguises he parades across them... He is such a great character; mysterious and powerful and yet, somehow, a little vulnerable.
This volume, however, felt somewhat disjointed to me. Some of the stories I really enjoyed; some not so much... ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Finished at work today (finally). Compared to the other Sandman works from Gaiman (#1-5 Overture) this one took me a little bit longer to finish. Not saying it was bad, just a bit different. I enjoyed the short story style with it covering the different religions. The Ramadan one was interesting, the Cain Abel one not so much. I liked the Augustus one, but the Orpheus one dragged a bit though was still pretty good. ( )
  BenKline | Jan 11, 2018 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Valkenburgh, Sherilyn vanColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, GeneIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lafeu: They say miracles are past; and we have our philosophical persons to make modern and familiar things supernatural and causeless. Hence it is that we make trifles of terrors, esconcing ourselves into seeming knowledge when we should submit ourselves to an unknown fear.
William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
I know the story, you see. I'm writing it all down for you. So it'll be remembered.
Rustichello of Pisa
Nine short stories for nine fine people, with affection and respect: For Steve Jones, James Herbert, Mary Gentle, Geoff Ryman, Colin Greenland, Ramsey Campbell, Roz Kaveney, John Chute and Lisa Tuttle. - Neil Gaiman
It was getting late, and I was losing it fast.
Terminus is the only god to whom Jupiter must bow.
But still I persist in wondering: what was Augustus afraid of? Why did he wake in the night, screaming...? Why was he angry? Why was he scared? I do not know his secret, and Augustus has taken it with him. To Olympus. Or to the grave.
I never saw him more. But, as the Years have passed, I have on Occasion, seen him in my Dreams. And, from that Time on, the Song of Orpheus has always hovered at the Edge of my Perception; a Melody I can never truly recapture, try howsoever I will. And do not doubt that there are many in Authority to whom I would sing it, if 'twere within my Power.
I've met a lot of kings, and emperors and heads of state in my time, Joshua. I've met them all. And you know something? I think I liked you best.

Collects "Fear of Falling," "Three Septembers and a January," "Thermidor," "The Hunt," "August," "Soft Places," "The Song of Orpheus," "The Parliament of Rooks" and "Ramadan," originally published in Vertigo Preview #1, The Sandman #29-31, 38-40, 50 and Sandman Special #1.

The critically acclaimed THE SANDMAN: FABLES AND REFLECTIONS continues the fantastical epic of Morpheus, the King of Dreams, as he observes and interacts with an odd assortment of historical and fictional characters throughout time. Featuring tales of kings, explorers, spies, and werewolves, this book of myth and imagination delves into the dark dreams of Augustus Caesar, Marco Polo, Cain and Abel, Norton I, and Orpheus to illustrate the effects that these subconscious musings have had on the course of history and mankind. -- from Vertigo(www.dccomics.com)

Nine stories about the Lord of Dreams as he touches the lives of kings, spies, emperors, actors, ravens and werewolves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,357,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible