Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth

by Chris Ware

Series: The Acme Novelty Library (5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14)

For five years Chris Ware has been drawing amazingly innovative 'comic strips' about a character called Jimmy Corrigan - a boy with the face of a disappointed old man. Jimmy Corrigan has rightly been hailed as the greatest comic/graphic novel ever to be published and is now available for the first time in paperback.… (more)

English (46)  French (2)  Danish (2)  All languages (50)
An adult story about a man, abused by his father as a child, growing up to become a very dysfunctional person. Picked it up at the store mainly because (a) it was different (all comic strip style) and (b) used copies on the internet were very expensive. I didn't care for it that much. Kept getting confused between the historical family and the contemporary family, because of flashbacks. Some adult themes, so not a book for kids. Some of the dialogue was written in a very small font and was very hard to read. ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
Sometimes you come across a recommendation that wasn't positive at all but it sounds so intriguing you can't help yourself.

That was the case with this book. The booktuber who talked about this book couldn't read on because it disturbed her. And weirdly enough that made me want to check it out. Even though I do the same thing...

So I carried on reading the reviews... Best thing ever. A story that evoke such strong emotions.. Both negative and positive is one I must read.

Now I'm hoping I will finish it...
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I felt like I ought to give this four stars because people whose opinions I respect really like Ware. It was neat to see how much info he could convey in simple pictures, but the story itself was a little sluggish for me at times. I admire the work but don't love it. I'd give it 3.5 stars if that were an option. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
I’m re-reading it because the first time (several years ago) I didn’t fully appreciate it. It’s as if Sartre was done in comic book form. Artistic but full of tragedy, despair, sadness, angst, and ennui. To get the full effect, you should also be listening to Leonard Cohen songs while reading. Or maybe some dirges.

Many of the panels are brilliantly creative. The style is captivating, crisp, and powerful. I have no particular interest in graphic novels, but this one caught my attention and it’s the only one of that genre I own or have ever wanted to own.

The only real criticism is the size of the panels: too small for my old eyes to read all the writing without effort. A larger edition would have been more appropriate for me. ( )
  ichadwick | Dec 7, 2020 |
Only read a few pages and realized it wasn't for me. Writing too small, did not like illustrations or story line. Not for me.
  booklover3258 | Oct 18, 2020 |
Some will find Jimmy Corrigan slow and depressing; they will be wrong. It is thrilling, moving, profoundly sympathetic — and it is the most beautiful-looking book of the year.

In Ware's world, lost boys grow up (or fail to do so), turning into lost men. Grey waves of depression cascade endlessly down though lost generations. No feel- good endings here: what prevents the bleakness of Ware's vision from overwhelming the reader in a flood of cosmic pessimism is the sheer craftsmanship, imagination, inventiveness and compassion with which it is realised.

While so many similar projects are little more than strings of striking images, Jimmy Corrigan forces you to pause, flick back a few pages and read again, rewarding you with another insight, another overdue connection. It is a rare and uplifting example of an artistic vision pushed to the limits.

Chris Wareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Janiš, ViktorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Acme Novelty Library (5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14)
DEDICATION (dĕd'ə-kā'shən) n. In this semi-autobiographical work of fiction, I fear I may have potentially impugned (at least, perhaps, in a careless, reader's comprehension of the book) some "real life" alter-egos, most notable of whom might be my mother, who, being thoughtful, intelligent, and supportive woman thus bears no resemblance whatsoever to the miserable wretch who dominates poor Jimmy. As such, this book is dedicated to her, especially as it is wholly characterized by her absence.
Jimmy, come ON!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,677,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible