Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

by Vladimir Nabokov

6,10199965 (4.26)1 / 305
1960s (27)
Romans (42)

English (94)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (99)
I have no doubt at all that I am Too Dumb for this book, nor did I go back and check/compare all the notes or anything. But I really liked this--it was fun to relish in the form of it, and it was very funny in the way Nabokov usually is. And as the story winds up, it really does suck you in and the narrative is so interesting and tight and self-involved and it's just a really good fun book that I would (and probably have to!) definitely return to for a number of rereads. ( )
  aijmiller | Aug 26, 2018 |
The ending was kind of a let down, I already knew the twist, I doubt Nabokov planned it to be a surprise, but that's not the problem, it lacked something, maybe more emotion, I don't think it was necessary to make it so obvious that Botnik was in fact crazy and all the story was a sham, the specific recalling on how he convinced Gray to lie for example, I don't know, the way it was written it felt forced, like Nabokov really needed to drive the point home and it had to be right now and very clear so nobody gets confused, ok?

Taking that aside I really enjoyed the book, I loved Botnik's cluelessness about things like Sherlock Homes and biclycle-made luminiscates, he was so out of touch with the world, the way he needed to make everything about himself, many times just making a note to a word, not a verse, a word, that would tie nicely to whatever he wanted to say, he interpreted the poetry however it pleased him and had no interest at all really in Shade, just in the idea of him.

I also want to mention that even though there are references to secrets at the beginning I thought they were talking about him being gay or something like that, and in retrospect I can see that it was always about him being the king and I love that, there must be so many things like that that I can't recall now but rereading would surely make me notice.

I loved the book but still I couldn't recommend, except for someone that already likes Nabokov or this type of literature, it's a weird and resembles a puzzle at times and I greatly enjoyed it but it's not an easy read.

More seriously the book one for a kind, an entire novel told in the commentary of a poem, I doubt there are many writers out there that could pull something like this, and with such care, and so beautifully written, there is beauty in the poem, and in the footnotes and it's a very different kind of beauty, they don't sound alike at all, Nabokov didn't pour all he had on the commentary and that's that, no, the poem is also perfectly written, in a way that serves the purpose of the commentary but doesn't have to sacrifice anything and can still be read as a stand alone, the last canto is weak that's true but it's also a work in progress and this shows too, it's amazing. ( )
  Rose98 | Jun 22, 2018 |
Such a unique, strange, mind-boggling puzzle of a book. You get sucked into the beautiful prose, and the unusual structure, and the disturbing events and characters - and you can't ever fully extricate yourself. I'm just not sure I have - actually, I'm quite certain I haven't - figured out everything that was going on. Far from it. It has so many patterns, so many possible interpretations - I'm dizzy just thinking about it. We're having a prolonged discussion about this book in my Paranoia as Hermeneutics course, and we've barely covered half of it by now. Vladimir Nabokov was a genius, that's all I'm certain of. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Well, what a book.
First the poem (that I found hard to read because I find poetry in general hard or very hard to read).
Then the commentary section, in which the writer not only comments on the poem, but also elaborates on his country of origin, its kings, gives hints that Nabokov-readers will surely understand.
All in all I liked the poem more than the commentary section. But I'm afraid I'm not at all a Nabokov-fan, no matter how much of a literary genius he may be. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 10, 2018 |
Absolutamente genial. Es tan posmoderna y metaliteraria que cuesta creer que haya sido escrita en los 60s. Es perfecta.
Tanto me gustó que no consigo ser objetivo. Tal vez tenga que dejar que pase un tiempo antes de escribir una reseña más fría.
Por el momento solo puedo ponerme de rodillas y agradecerle al universo por el genio de Nabokov. ( )
  andresborja42 | Mar 24, 2018 |
If the introduction and notes are eccentric, the index is of a similar quality ... Kinbote's index is a symptom of his insanity.
added by KayCliff | editNew Writing 9, Robert Irwin (Dec 12, 2010)

The integration of events described in the index into the text of Pale fire clearly qualifies this index as an example of indexes as fiction. The complex trail of cross-references by which the whole book may be alternatively read makes it possible also to regard this novel as an example of fiction as index.
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 5, 1997)

In fact, “Pale Fire” is a curiosity into which it is agreeable to dip rather than a book which can be read straight through with pleasure.

Nabokov, Vladimirprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinbote, CharlesForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rorty, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verstegen, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This reminds me of the ludicrous account he gave Mr. Langton, of the despicable state of a young gentleman of good family. "Sir, when I heard of him last, he was running about town shooting cats." And then in a sort of kindly reverie, he bethought himself of his own favorite cat, and said, "But, Hodge shan't be shot: no, no, Hodge shall not be shot."

--James Boswell, the Life of Samuel Johnson
To Véra
I was the shadow of the waxwing slain / By the false azure in the windowpane.
Pale Fire, a poem in heroic couplets, of nine hundred ninety-nine lines, divided into four cantos, was composed by John Francis Shade (born July 5, 1898, died July 21, 1959) during the last twenty days of his life, at his residence in New Wye, Appalachia, U.S.A.
I have no desire to twist and batter an unambiguous apparatus criticus into the monstrous semblance of a novel.
No lips would share the lipstick of her smoke.
Shadows, the, a regicidal organization which commissioned Gradus (q.v.) to assassinate the self-banished king; its leader’s terrible name cannot be mentioned, even in the Index to the obscure work of a scholar; his maternal grandfather, a well-known and very courageous master builder, was hired by Thurgus the Turgid, around 1885, to make certain repairs in his quarters, and soon after that perished, poisoned in the royal kitchens, under mysterious circumstances, together with his three young apprentices whose pretty first names Yan, Yonny, and Angeling, are preserved in a ballad still to be heard in some of our wilder valleys.
I'm puzzled by the difference between / Two methods of composing. A, the kind / Which goes on solely in the poet's mind, / A testing of performing words, while he / Is soaping a third time one leg, and B, / The other kind, much more decorous, when / He's in his study wielding his pen.
Come and be worshiped, come and be caressed, My dark Vanessa, crimson-barred, my blest My Admirable butterfly! Explain. - It is *so* like the heart of a scholar in search of a fond name to pile a butterfly genus upon an Orphic divinity on top of the inevitable allusion to Vanhomrigh, Esther! In this connection a couple of lines from one of Swift's poems (which in these backwoods I cannot locate) have stuck in my memory: When, lo! *Vanessa* in her bloom / Advanced like *Atalanta*'s star.
The curse of the verse!
(Note: this refers to Zembla.)
So: king, or madman?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723420, Paperback)

Like Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire is a masterpiece that imprisons us inside the mazelike head of a mad émigré. Yet Pale Fire is more outrageously hilarious, and its narrative convolutions make the earlier book seem as straightforward as a fairy tale. Here's the plot--listen carefully! John Shade is a homebody poet in New Wye, U.S.A. He writes a 999-line poem about his life, and what may lie beyond death. This novel (and seldom has the word seemed so woefully inadequate) consists of both that poem and an extensive commentary on it by the poet's crazy neighbor, Charles Kinbote.

According to this deranged annotator, he had urged Shade to write about his own homeland--the northern kingdom of Zembla. It soon becomes clear that this fabulous locale may well be a figment of Kinbote's colorfully cracked, prismatic imagination. Meanwhile, he manages to twist the poem into an account of Zembla's King Charles--whom he believes himself to be--and the monarch's eventual assassination by the revolutionary Jakob Gradus.

In the course of this dizzying narrative, shots are indeed fired. But it's Shade who takes the hit, enabling Kinbote to steal the dead poet's manuscript and set about annotating it. Is that perfectly clear? By now it should be obvious that Pale Fire is not only a whodunit but a who-wrote-it. There isn't, of course, a single solution. But Nabokov's best biographer, Brian Boyd, has come up with an ingenious suggestion: he argues that Shade is actually guiding Kinbote's mad hand from beyond the grave, nudging him into completing what he'd intended to be a 1,000-line poem. Read this magical, melancholic mystery and see if you agree. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Nabokov's parody, half poem and half commentary on the poem, deals with the escapades of the deposed king of Zemala in a New England college town.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185260, 0141197242

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,954,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible