Shalimar the Clown (2005)

by Salman Rushdie

When Maximilian Ophuls is murdered outside his daughter's home by his Kashmiri Muslim driver, it appears to be a political killing. Ophuls is the former U.S. Ambassador to India and America's leading figure in counter-terrorism. But there is much more to Ophuls and his assassin, a mysterious man calling himself "Shalimar the Clown," than meets the eye. One woman is at the center of their shared history--a history of betrayal and deception that moves from World War II Europe to the troubled Kashmir region to contemporary America.… (more)

English (48)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (51)
I was impressed at how Rushdie managed to create such a vast historical and geopolitical context and then set his diverse characters in it in such a way as to illuminate both the political context and its effect on individuals, while the individuals can also be interpreted almost allegorically. I rather disliked the character India at the beginning of the novel, and I found it hard to get into at first, but after a few chapters, it became engrossing. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
Faith is a key component of living. Without it in some form or the other, I daresay, there is no existence.

Faith in love. Faith in military institutions. Faith in religion. Faith in neighborliness. Faith in the old ways that define us. Faith in the arts. Faith in the love and self-sacrifice of family. Faith in marriage and a spirit of unbroken togetherness. Faith in the hope for a better future.

Faith hurts when it is broken or misused.

Shalimar the Clown is a novel of Faith and the hurt caused by breaking the spirit of faith. A must-read novel. ( )
  nvenkataraman1 | Feb 5, 2021 |
Wonderful. Takes you from Kashmir to Los Angeles, from an indian fable to an intriguing resistance story during World War II in France. Terrorism, love, revenge, religion, it's all here. Rushdie is a master storyteller and even though I liked the Satanic Verses (the first thing I read by Rushdie), I think I might like this one better and I sure as hell finished it faster. It's still not a fast read though, but I feel as if everything comes together much more smoothly here. Highly Recommended. ( )
  superpeer | Feb 1, 2021 |
The depiction of Kashmir in the book is so gripping! There are parts which will stay with me for a long time. ( )
  vishalshah_lt | Jun 8, 2020 |
Not my cup of tea. Part way through I said, "Do I care? No." and tossed it. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
' "Shalimar the Clown" is hobbled by Mr. Rushdie's determination to graft huge political and cultural issues onto a flimsy soap opera plot.... What is most engaging about this novel - and represents a return to form, after two particularly weak and poorly observed novels - is Mr. Rushdie's creation of several compelling characters....'

Salman Rushdieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Günther, CathrinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robben, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Karina vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheikh, NilimaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vosmaer, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

rororo (23931)
"I am being rowed through Paradise on a river of Hell:
Exquisite ghost, it is night.
The paddle is a heart; it breaks the porcelain waves...

I'm everything you lost. You won't forgive me.
My memory keeps getting in the way of your history.
There is nothing to forgive. You won't forgive me.
I hi my pain even from myself; I revealed my pain only to myself.
There is everything to forgive. You can't forgive me.
If only somehow you could have been mine, what would not have been possible in the world."
— Agha Shahid Ali, The Country Without a Post Office
"A plague on both your houses."
— Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
In loving memory of my Kashmiri grandparents
Dr. Ataullah and Amir un nissa Butt
(Babajan and Ammaji)
At twenty-four the ambassador's daughter slept badly through the warm, unsurprising nights.
Everybody was sensitive nowadays. Everybody had a vocabulary to peddle. Words had become as painful as sticks and stones, or maybe skins had become thinner. India blamed the ozone layer, apologized and changed the subject.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,495,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible