dismiss

The Quiet American (1955)

by Graham Greene

Series: Julien Green, Oeuvres complètes

This novel is a study of New World hope and innocence set in an Old World of violence. The scene is Saigon in the violent years when the French were desperately trying to hold their footing in the Far East. The principal characters are a skeptical British journalist, his attractive Vietnamese mistress, and an eager young American sent out by Washington on a mysterious mission.… (more)

English (143)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (152)
Two selfish white men
meddling with foreign affairs
and the same woman. ( )
1 vote Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
I spent a lot of the novel wondering whether the novelist was a terrible racist and sexist or merely the narrator he'd created. I'm leaning towards the former. Basically the entire novel is about this battle between a cynical Briton and an optimistic yet deeply stupid American to win and retain the affections of a Vietnamese woman, Phuong, during the French occupation in the 1950s. Phuong is truly depicted as an object - the narrator claims that Vietnamese don't feel emotion as Europeans do, as if this were some justification for writing her character as a mere object of affection - and it's extremely annoying.

Like I didn't HATE the book I guess (thus two stars, not one) but I didn't like it by a long stretch... ( )
  Jayeless | May 27, 2020 |
The Quiet American by Graham Greene (first edition ISBN-13: 978-0670585526)

Even though it's been about sixty years since I read this novel, I remember it well. A very influential book in my life, in helping me better understand how and why we get into these messes. A soldier myself at the time, my understanding was further reinforced in seeing the 1958 Hollywood adaptation that propagandized the book in turning around its theme. (A 2002 film version was truer to the book.)

Needless to say, I thought at the time, and still do, that it's an important read. And, it's an engrossing story. ( )
  LGCullens | Apr 14, 2020 |
Graham Greene's protagonist, Thomas Fowler, imagines himself a world weary cynic, someone whose considerable past as a reporter has given him a special insight into the failures of people and peoples. He reeks of superciliousness. And the reader might be forgiven for mistaking the fictional Fowler for the real Graham Greene, as many indeed have done. But that would be to mistake content for intent. And I don't think that is what is at work, here.

What does happen is the great reveal. The revelation, that is, that Fowler, the cynic, is at heart a failed romantic who lies to himself. All his constant psychoanalyzing of others and himself is a deception. It all becomes too apparent when we find at the end that Fowler has been lying to the reader and himself throughout the novel. He is complicit in a murder and just as morally compromised as his antagonist, Pyle, the American ideologue who nonchalantly consigns Vietnamese innocents to an acceptable "body count" that will eventually bring about democracy.

This novel still carries tremendous impact because of the moral chaos that Fowler falls prey to. Ultimately, he cannot keep from involving himself in things that he, too, cannot really understand. Fowler is not the moral idiot that Pyle is, but he is the outsider who can never belong but somehow wants to belong to something. And once he thinks he finds it, he stops "reporting" and instead "corresponds" and becomes a pawn himself. Like Pyle, he attaches himself to an idea. In so doing, he has become a cut rate version of Pyle's hero, the diplomatic correspondent York Harding who "gets hold of an idea and then alters every situation to fit that idea. Pyle came out here full of York Harding's idea. Harding had been here once for a week on his way from Bangkok to Tokyo. Pyle made the mistake of putting his idea into practice. Harding wrote about a Third Force. Pyle formed one--a shoddy little bandit with two thousand men and a couple of tame tigers. He got mixed up."

Beyond the personal, The Quiet American is also one of the great political novels of any age. And, of course, as a political novel, it could not be more prescient about America's upcoming debacle in Vietnam. When all the real life York Hardings arrived by the planeload. ( )
  PaulCornelius | Apr 12, 2020 |
The irony of this anti-American tale is that the main character, the Yankee-hating Thomas Fowler, is actually patterned after the characters in the hard-boiled school of American fiction such as the books of Raymond Chandler. The literary war has really been won by the Americans. [1956]
  GLArnold | Apr 4, 2020 |
Easily, with long-practiced and even astonishing skill, speaking with the voice of a British reporter who is forced, despite himself, toward political action and commitment, Greene tells a complex but compelling story of intrigue and counter-intrigue, bombing and murder. Into it is mixed the rivalry of two white men for a Vietnamese girl. These elements are all subordinate to the political thesis which they dramatize and which is stated baldly and explicitly throughout the book.

There are many natural storytellers in English literature, but what was rare about Greene was the control he wielded over his abundant material. Certainly one can imagine nobody who could better weave the complicated threads of war-torn Indochina into a novel as linear, as thematically compact and as enjoyable as The Quiet American

Greene, Grahamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caddell, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
English, BillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorra, MichaelSuggestions for Further Readingsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundblad, JaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnus, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheepmaker, H.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, ZadieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Springer, KätheÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stingl, NikolausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valja, JiøíTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the patent age of new inventions
For killing bodies, and for saving souls,
All propagated with the best intentions. — Byron
I do not like being moved; for the will is excited, and action
Is a most dangerous thing; I tremble for something factitious,
Some malpractice of heart and illegitimate process;
We're so prone to these things, with our terrible notions of duty. — A. H. Clough
After dinner I sat and waited for Pyle in my room over the rue Catinat; he had said, ‘I’ll be with you at latest by ten,’ and when midnight struck I couldn’t stay quiet any longer and went down into the street.
innocence is like a dumb leper who has lost his bell, wandering the world, meaning no harm.

While the French Army in Indo-China is grappling with the Vietminh, back in Saigon a young and high-minded American named Pyle begins to channel economic aid to a "Third Force."

Caught between French colonialists and the Vietminh, Fowler, the narrator and seasoned foreign correspondent, observes: "I never knew a man who had better motives for all the trouble he caused." As young Pyle's policies blunder on into bloodshed, the older man finds it impossible to stand aside as an observer. But Fowler's motives for intervening are suspect, both to the police and to himself: for Pyle has robbed him of his Vietnamese mistress.

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,280,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible