The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

The Goblin Emperor

by Katherine Addison

1,311999,036 (4.17)183
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (bookwormelf)
    bookwormelf: low on magic, high on characters and world-building
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For protagonists who have been thrown to the deep end, politically speaking.
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (octopedingenue)
    The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley (jain)
    jain: Kind-hearted protagonists experiencing the power of friendship against a backdrop of sociopolitical unrest.
    Among Others by Jo Walton (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Recovering from tragedy, holding to a moral centre.
    Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith (octopedingenue)
    Fortress in the Eye of Time by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: A much better take on the Innocent at Court theme, with the innocence coming across particularly well, and in a more detailed world.

When I started this book, I wasn't too sure what I was getting into. Some of the language seemed a bit dense and the names were very difficult to keep track of. While I never really got everything straightened out name-wise, the wonderful story contained in this book took me past my trepidation and I did truly enjoy it overall.

The main plot line itself reminded me quite a bit of the recent television series starring Kiefer Sutherland, Designated Survivor. In similar fashion to the show, the entire royal family is killed and the next in line for the throne is completely out of his depth having been brought up in an isolated corner of the system. The reader joins Maia on his attempt to learn what it takes to be emperor as quickly and as competently as possible.

While not exactly an action packed story, there is enough intrigue and some truly tension filled moments to keep the story moving. Along with my earlier complaint about the naming conventions that had me thoroughly confused throughout, I would also add that I would have greatly appreciated the inclusion of some sort of map to use to keep locations straight in my head.

This is a well written and entertaining fantasy novel that's a bit outside of the normal fare. I enjoyed it and would recommend it, just don't give up on it after the first couple of chapters. I almost did and I'm super glad that I did not. ( )
  StefanY | Feb 13, 2019 |
Soothing and low-stakes read. Never thought I'd give a crap about a monarch's rise to power, but Addison kept my interest. She hinted at the rest of the world outside the court enough to make me care, and even though she created a hero without darkness or many weaknesses, I believed in him. This is a good read for drifting away from real life.
  Latkes | Feb 11, 2019 |
Abandoned. World building and world building and world building without end. I read a review that said things really start happening in the last 20% of the book. I'm not an action junkie, but I read half of this book still waiting for anything of interest to happen. I'm not waiting until the last 20%.
  Citizenjoyce | Jan 31, 2019 |
I can't in good conscience give this book 5 stars because it took me a solid 20% of the book to stop actively recoiling from the language style used (archaic word forms like 'thou', characters speaking of themselves in nosism-style 'we's, not to mention complicated "THIS IS A FANTASY"-type names for people, positions, and places), but damn do I wish I could. I can give nothing but thanks to the many friends and reccers who got me excited enough about this book to keep reading while I struggled to get used to it. Thrust into rulership with very little to his name except an innate sense of compassion and fairness, our Goblin Emperor, Maia, immediately earns the reader's loyalty & it's a remarkable pleasure-pain to watch him win it from his courtiers and retainers throughout the course of the novel. There is a significant portion toward the middle of the book where he is very cornered and unhappy and I cried A WHOLE HECK OF A LOT out of directionless frustration and empathy (a good thing!! I love to feel feelings!!), but the last third brings the various plots to their a breaking points in ways that are both exciting and satisfying as hell. I'm incredibly excited that there will be a sequel, and until then I'll be fawning over fanart on Tumblr. ( )
2 vote epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
While properly billed as a fantasy, Katherine Addison's"The Goblin Emperor" is also a satisfying psychological novel about a young man thrust into the most difficult job in his world, uncertain if he has either the shoulders or the stomach for it. ... And while it is a novel for adults, I wouldn't hesitate to give "The Goblin Emperor" to the kind of teen reader inclined to ponder what true friendship is and what compassion means.

Katherine Addisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balbusso, AnnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCarley, KyleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Katherine on one side,
Addison on the other
Maia woke with his cousin's cold fingers digging into his shoulder.

Emperor Maia
must survive court politics,
learn to be himself
(euryale)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076532699X, Hardcover)

The youngest, half-goblin son of the Emperor has lived his entire life in exile, distant from the Imperial Court and the deadly intrigue that suffuses it. But when his father and three sons in line for the throne are killed in an "accident," he has no choice but to take his place as the only surviving rightful heir.

Surrounded by sycophants eager to curry favor with the naïve new emperor, and overwhelmed by the burdens of his new life, he can trust nobody. Amid the swirl of plots to depose him, offers of arranged marriages, and the specter of the unknown conspirators who lurk in the shadows, he must quickly adjust to life as the Goblin Emperor. All the while, he is alone, and trying to find even a single friend . . . and hoping for the possibility of romance, yet also vigilant against the unseen enemies that threaten him, lest he lose his throne–or his life.

Katherine Addison's The Goblin Emperor is an exciting fantasy novel, set against the pageantry and color of a fascinating, unique world, is a memorable debut for a great new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:41 -0400)

"The youngest, half-goblin son of the Emperor has lived his entire life in exile, distant from the Imperial Court and the deadly intrigue that suffuses it. But when his father and three sons in line for the throne are killed in an 'accident,' he has no choice but to take his place as the only surviving rightful heir. Entirely unschooled in the art of court politics, he has no friends, no advisors, and the sure knowledge that whoever assassinated his father and brothers could make an attempt on his life at any moment. Surrounded by sycophants eager to curry favor with the naîve new emperor and overwhelmed by the burdens of his new life, he can trust nobody. Amid the swirl of plots to depose him, offers of arranged marriages, and the specter of the unknown conspirators who lurk in the shadows, he must quickly adjust to life as the Goblin Emperor. All the while, he is alone, and trying to find even a single friend . . . and hoping for the possibility of romance, yet also vigilant against the unseen enemies that threaten him, lest he lose his throne--or his life" --… (more)

Sarah Monette is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,466,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible