The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu

The Three-Body Problem (2008)

by Cixin Liu, 刘 慈欣 (Author)

Series: Remembrance of Earth's Past (1)

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: There are stylistic and societal-implications similarities between the English translation of The Three-Body Problem and Anathem, despite being of very different worlds, and deep into different scientific areas.
    Contact by Carl Sagan (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Stories about man's search for intelligent life in the universe with elements of hard science
    Tau Zero by Poul Anderson (br77rino)
    br77rino: I put this because both books are what I would consider hard science fiction.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)

English (147)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (155)
I am slightly torn on this review. I have already read Book 2 as well and would make the same comments about it as well. I must say that I find the writing dull and the characters odd - particularly in the way they behave some of the time. There are long philosophical discussions that add very little to the plot as well - making this book somewhat dull. Its' saving grace is the originality of the premise and it is that, that kept me going. I wanted to know what happened and so ended up leafing through the book reading 1 page out of 3 without really missing much. It could be the translation I guess but the pacing and content are unlikely to be poor purely because of translation - are they ? ( )
  muwaffaq | Mar 20, 2019 |
I was late to the party on this one, but so glad I finally read it. This one hit a lot of buttons for me. Hard SF, cool VR tech, noiry-espionage, weird-other worldly landscapes, paragraphs of awe and wonder. Lots of science. But these weren’t your run of the mill info dump slogs. String theory, quantum mechanics & astronomy passages were rendered in a readable, prose-like efficiency that engaged me. Sublime passages about cold empty space. These are things I live for in literature. Cixin Liu has a brilliantly way of showing humanity in the face of such punishing emptiness. (Please suggest other authors/stories for me that do the same anyone!)This book informed me on Chinese Cultural Revolution. Actually had to stop reading the first chapter and go and do some homework. Story jumps back and forth, something I don’t normally like, but in the end I agreed it was an effective. Ken Liu, who is a master author in his own right, translated this book. He gives a thoughtful reflection on his task in an afterward. I had the privilege of meeting him after hearing talk on the art/technique of translation.
And the pendulums were awesome.
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
Fantastic story and solid hard fiction. ( )
  travelster | Mar 9, 2019 |
Five stars for ideas and plot, two stars for the characters and writing, which exist just to explain the ideas and further the plot, often in info-dumping fashion. Faced with the choice of reading the info dumps slowly to try and understand the physics, or just skimming, I chose skim. But I am inspired to push [b:Astrophysics for People in a Hurry|32191710|Astrophysics for People in a Hurry|Neil deGrasse Tyson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1479535337s/32191710.jpg|52832605] and [b:Seven Brief Lessons on Physics|25734172|Seven Brief Lessons on Physics|Carlo Rovelli|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1443551746s/25734172.jpg|42912214] higher on my tbr pile. I don't lay the blame for the writing on the translator, whose imaginative book of short stories, [b:The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories|24885533|The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories|Ken Liu|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1511290092s/24885533.jpg|44534169], was beautifully written. This book reminds me of some of the clunkier SF of the 50's. I definitely prefer some science with my fiction, rather than some fiction with my science. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
I'm a simple man without a lot of complicated twists and turns. Look down my throat and you can see out my ass.

So says one of the undeveloped characters. He's hard-boiled like that. He's all Lemmy Constantine, though this dump isn't Alphaville--it's a protracted space invasion story, one with environmentalists as Fifth Columnists and an Ender's Game at its horrid core.

I read the book in a single day, which isn't a compliment given the 400 pages are eighty percent information dump. This is all explication. I kept waiting for swells of humanity, a soft curve to demonstrate that keeps us in the game instead I found To Serve Man by Lisbeth Salander. The plot unfolds revealing a gradual twist towards infamy. There's an exchange where a child ask about a monument to the Cultural Revolution and a battle between factions. The child asked about the buried, were they heroes? No. Were they enemies? No. What were they? History.

Don't expect half measures. That road to Hell is apparently paved by Rachel Carson and Pete Singer.

Throughout the virtual interludes one has a chance to channel Jared Diamond and ponder geographic determinism. I then saw how 21C China could appreciate this specific warning. I do not think it likely that I will pursue the trilogy though stranger things have happened. I have been pondering the speculative author Kameron Hurley all weekend and may approach her work in the near future.
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |

Cixin Liuprimary authorall editionscalculated
刘 慈欣Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hasse, MartinaPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, KenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martinière, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roubicek, BrunoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavani, BenedettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Red Union had been attacking the headquarters of the April Twenty-eighth Brigade for two days.

The Three-Body Problem is the first chance for English-speaking readers to experience this multiple award winning phenomenon from China's most beloved science fiction author, Liu Cixin. Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion. The result is a science fiction masterpiece of enormous scope and vision.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,435,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible