The Three-Body Problem (2008)

by Liu Cixin

Series: Remembrance of Earth's Past (1)

6,1933191,306 (3.8)1 / 284
Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilisation on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion.… (more)
Recently added byvancampen, jmg12, Atotmyr, gustavoberman, private library, JB28, brebna, AnnieVGu, biolab, mindatlarge
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: There are stylistic and societal-implications similarities between the English translation of The Three-Body Problem and Anathem, despite being of very different worlds, and deep into different scientific areas.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Tau Zero by Poul Anderson (br77rino)
    br77rino: I put this because both books are what I would consider hard science fiction.
    Contact by Carl Sagan (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Stories about man's search for intelligent life in the universe with elements of hard science

English (303)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  All languages (317)
The story has potential, but I didn't like the way it was presented.
I don't know if it was the Spanish translation, or the original text, but I found it very boring. I didn't like the looooooong technical explaining of the different concepts in the book. I found myself rushing the chapters in order to finish this horrible writing.
  gustavoberman | Jun 29, 2022 |
This book has been hailed as one of the better recent efforts in science fiction, and with that in my mind I dove in head first.

It starts out very strong. It's introduction set in a period of political upheaval in China, the violence is brutal and no one is spared.

Free thought, scientific thought, become anathema to the will of the "revolution". A message that, in a lot of ways, echoes throughout the story.

The writing is profound, and complex and at times dives deep into scientific concepts that may turn some off.

It was great, I was hooked. But then somewhere around the half way point a switch flipped.

I don't know if the writer took a break and came back different, or if the translation just slipped really hard. But it became "exposition the story". It was unbelievable, where did the book I read for the first 200 pages go?

The characters either become 2 dimensional, or bizarre caricatures. An entire civilization is spoon fed to the reader. It's like they wanted to hook you with the first half, then spend the second filling in the surprisingly boring world so you feel committed to read the rest of the series. It's Stockholm Syndrome the book.

I really love the first half. I want to read that book. ( )
  beachcamp | May 20, 2022 |
Fantafína vísindaskáldsaga sem gerist í nútímanum. Unglingsstelpa upplifir Rauðu byltinguna í Kína og er neydd til starfa við háleynilega vísindastöð. Störf hennar þar tengjast síðar óvænt sjálfsmorðum, morðum og skemmdarverkum hjá þekktustu vísindamönnum hnattarins. Um svipað leyti kemur tölvuleikur fram á sjónarsviðið sem höfðar mikið til vísindamanna, afhverju og eru dulin markmið með leiknum? ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Chinese science-fiction - lost my virginity! Nice one - to bad I discovered the glossary at the end of the book when i was finished! ( )
  iffland | Mar 19, 2022 |
This was very entertaining for a hard sci-fi nerd. I've perused negative reviews of the book and generally the complaints are all similar – a lack of character development. Indeed, the emotions and fundamental prose are a bit wooden (though there are moments of beautiful images and ideas), but I have a feeling this may be indicative of Chinese versus Western literature. And this is one of the reasons I picked up this volume in the first place. Now that I'm living in Asia and surrounded by Chinese culture, I wanted to get a taste for the fiction. There aren't a lot of contemporary options translated to English. Though this was my first foray into Chinese fiction, I think I'm already getting a small sense of it. I enjoy it. It's dry and rich together. I've encountered traditional concepts of Chinese humor at the Palace Museum in Taipei, so I was ready for quite a different approach to the human condition through fiction.

I feel the primary complaints about the style of this novel are addressed in the postscripts by the author and translator. The story is not about individuals. It is much grander than that. I personally enjoyed the emphasis on science and humanity. Though the individual characters don't feel personal, the ideas it threw at me made me look inward. I found this to be an interesting dichotomy.

The world building, imagination, and general sci-fi-ness of the book are awesome, so I'm very much looking forward to finishing the trilogy. Still, I will take a short break to whet my appetite with some more colorful prose in between volumes. I'm hoping that when I return I'll be able to raise my rating for the trilogy as a whole.

If you like the dense science of Neal Stephenson novels you may like this, but it lacks Stephenson's humor and almost Hollywood-ey action. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |

Sainio, RaunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, JakobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonetti, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavani, BenedettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Red Union had been attacking the headquarters of the April Twenty-eighth Brigade for two days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,713,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible