The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu

The Three-Body Problem

by Cixin Liu, 刘 慈欣 (Author)

Series: Remembrance of Earth's Past (1)

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: There are stylistic and societal-implications similarities between the English translation of The Three-Body Problem and Anathem, despite being of very different worlds, and deep into different scientific areas.
    Tau Zero by Poul Anderson (br77rino)
    br77rino: I put this because both books are what I would consider hard science fiction.

English (127)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (135)
Mind-bending exploration of a future world and its global anxiety and destruction at the hands or minds of aliens. Made even more so by the Chinese cultural norms and possibly also the language hiccups due to the translation. The aliens inhabit a planet with 3 suns and alternate between unpredictable periods of normalcy and destruction when the planet moves to close to one of the sons. Apparently 3 body systems are not possible to predict. They communicate through video games, religious cults, mental manipulation. Physicists must be destroyed, because they might figure out how to stop them from coming to earth to occupy our planet, after they get rid of us. Worth it, but scary and weird to follow part due to the bizarre pacing. ( )
  lwobbe | Aug 6, 2018 |
Conspiracy theory book interlinked with China history in the last 50 years. Fresh style/topic when compared with Anglo-Saxon science-fiction writers. Some of the characters seem more generic/modern (scientist, policeman that gets job done but might have bad connections), while others have a stronger Chinese specific (person prosecuted by the cultural revolution). Plot unravels at uneven paces, which is very good managed up to the final chapters of the book where it feels a bit rushes/unclear. Main plot is related to various humans becoming so disillusioned by human race that they end up in a plot that helps a planned alien invasion. The alien civilization inhabits a three star system which makes it very hard to survive so they need another system. Most of the actions are in the planning/development stage with few decisive actions. The book does not finish with a clear ending, seeming that the aliens managed to reach their objective, but humans obtaining minor victories as well ( )
  vladmihaisima | Jul 24, 2018 |
I almost feel mean rating and reviewing this, so feel that I should start by saying that I'm NOT really much of a sci-fi reader. I love sci-fi movies and shows and such, but don't read it often. But, I'd heard about this one and wanted to give it a try. Personally, I loved it in some ways, such as the very different cultural dynamic at play and such, but, at the same time, couldn't really get into it. That said, there are a LOT of fascinating world-building elements here, and as such I will be giving the sequel a try, because I feel like this is going in fascinating directions in the near future and I actually suspect I might get more into it as it develops more. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jul 24, 2018 |
I read 46% by which time I was convinced that my understanding of what I was reading was not going to improve.
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Just coming off the high of the Expanse series and needing to fill the void until the next book I figured I’d give this a try. I have to admit I wasn’t expecting much and read this solely on the GoodReads rating and man am I glad I did.
This is one of those stories you just feel good while reading and not due a “happy” storyline. It’s incredibly smart and when you are able to follow the science/computer/biology jargon you can’t help feeling smart and cleaver yourself. Honestly I expect most people interested in reading the book to be able to follow. Just when you think you’ve figured out what’s going to happen next you are transported to another area of the story. You think “well this makes sense I suppose, a little back story to support why my theory”. There are a few of these semi-slow back filler sub plots that seem to fit but are just extra bloat to the main story arch. As you continue you slowly see these, what you disregarded as extra filler character development, arch’s pulling on common threads in the story and before long the lightbulb goes off. Like I said, it’s a very smart book with incredibly detailed aspects of sciences that even if you don’t completely understand still sound feasible; if not likely. You continually are in limbo thinking you know what’s really going on just to be blindsided by something obvious both you and the main characters over looked.
>>The short and sweet. This is a must read. Don’t be put off by the fact it’s a translated story with most characters and settings taking place in and around china; it doesn’t take away from your engagement. Don’t read this if you like quick and cheap pay-offs. You need to stick with the story for most of the book before the 3rd act payoff and it makes it so very much sweeter.
  ZachDecker | Jun 26, 2018 |

Cixin Liuprimary authorall editionscalculated
刘 慈欣Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hasse, MartinaPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, KenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martinière, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roubicek, BrunoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavani, BenedettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Red Union had been attacking the headquarters of the April Twenty-eighth Brigade for two days.

The Three-Body Problem is the first chance for English-speaking readers to experience this multiple award winning phenomenon from China's most beloved science fiction author, Liu Cixin. Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion. The result is a science fiction masterpiece of enormous scope and vision.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible