The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic…

The Last Painting of Sara de Vos (2016)

by Dominic Smith

Recently added byprivate library, Mylady, phans, EfEh, Claudia.Anderson, Fmb, Seitenhain, RachelDavenSkinner, ahef1963

English (48)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
I enjoyed this blend of modern and historical fiction. At the beginning I had a feeling I had already read it. Then I realized the simularities between this book and the "The Art Forger" by B. A. Shapiro. The two books quickly diverge so this wasn't a real issue, at least for me.

It was a nice read for cool November weather. Perhaps the rating is a 4 minus, but it was better than a 3. It worked for me.
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
A young Australian art restorer takes on a commission in New York. It gets complicated. The story veers easily between New York 1958, Holland 1638 and Sydney 2000. A story of a painting and an artist. Of guilt. Of loss. Of monied New York. Of the sniping in the art world both Olde and New. Of how complicated relationships can be. ( )
  devilish2 | Jul 2, 2018 |
interesting characters, timeline stories, interesting details about forgery and art repair, 17th C Netherlands painting guilds (Who knew)? Reminded me of the Goldfinch, but wasn't so terribly frustrating! ( )
  sherribrari | Jun 6, 2018 |
This was one of my favorite books this year. I saw the author at a local book festival (with his amazing editor/publisher Sarah Crichton) and decided this was a book I had to read. As an aspiring writer, this book made my head swirl. Not only is the story complex, covering 3 time/place periods seamlessly, but the writing is beautiful with each word contributing to the whole. I'll read read this a few more times as I study the art that Mr. Smith has created in this beautiful book. ( )
  asawyer | May 7, 2018 |
This is a bok for art fans and historical fiction fans. The story is told in three different times about three differnt characters. It is part mystery about a crime, but in the end we discover much more. This is a mystery of the heart. ( )
  janismack | Mar 25, 2018 |
"Smith’s book absorbs you from the start."

"Apart from the story’s firm historical grounding, the narrative has a supple omniscience that glides, Möbius-like, among the centuries without a snag."

For Tamara Smith, M.P. - beloved sister, loyal friend, trailblazer
The painting is stolen the same week the Russians put a dog into space.

In 1631, Sara de Vos is admitted as a master painter to the Guild of St. Luke's in Holland, the first woman to be so recognized. Three hundred years later, only one work attributed to de Vos is known to remain--a haunting winter scene, At the Edge of a Wood, which hangs over the bed of a wealthy descendant of the original owner. An Australian grad student, Ellie Shipley, struggling to stay afloat in New York, agrees to paint a forgery of the landscape, a decision that will haunt her. Because now, half a century later, she's curating an exhibit of female Dutch painters, and both versions threaten to arrive. As the three threads intersect, The Last Painting of Sara de Vos mesmerizes while it grapples with the demands of the artistic life, showing how the deceits of the past can forge the present.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:26:46 -0400)

"This is what we long for: the profound pleasure of being swept into vivid new worlds, worlds peopled by characters so intriguing and real that we can't shake them, even long after the reading's done. In his earlier, award-winning novels, Dominic Smith demonstrated a gift for coaxing the past to life. Now, in The Last Painting of Sara de Vos, he deftly bridges the historical and the contemporary, tracking a collision course between a rare landscape by a female Dutch painter of the golden age, an inheritor of the work in 1950s Manhattan, and a celebrated art historian who painted a forgery of it in her youth. In 1631, Sara de Vos is admitted as a master painter to the Guild of St. Luke's in Holland, the first woman to be so recognized. Three hundred years later, only one work attributed to de Vos is known to remain--a haunting winter scene, At the Edge of a Wood, which hangs over the bed of a wealthy descendant of the original owner. An Australian grad student, Ellie Shipley, struggling to stay afloat in New York, agrees to paint a forgery of the landscape, a decision that will haunt her. Because now, half a century later, she's curating an exhibit of female Dutch painters, and both versions threaten to arrive. As the three threads intersect, The Last Painting of Sara de Vos mesmerizes while it grapples with the demands of the artistic life, showing how the deceits of the past can forge the present"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible