Gargantua And Pantagruel (1532)

by François Rabelais

Series: Gargantua und Pantagruel

4,190362,075 (3.75)186
Rabelais's vigorous examination of the life of his times-from bizarre battles to great drinking bouts, from satire on religion and education to matter-of-fact descriptions of bodily functions and desires-is one of the great comic masterpieces of literature.

English (28)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  All languages (35)
This is a sweeping epic that is so entertaining and unpredictable that it will carry you along for the ride at a brisk pace. Although it is not perfect, and there are changes of pace and interest throughout, the overall story is very fulfilling and allows one to truly get into the wonder and aspects of the story. Personally, I preferred the 1st, 2nd, and 4th book- but the others still have their charms and good points as well.

4.25 stars- well worth the read for anyone interested in classics, epics, grand comedies, and French literature! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Apr 14, 2020 |
Rabelais era o James Joyce da renascença ou James Joyce era o Rabelais do modernismo? Essa edição da Itatiaia vem repleta de notas que ajudam a compreender toda a maravilhosa amplitude linguística de Rabelais, além de ser ricamente ilustrada por Gustave Doré. Fazendo parte dos meus estudos sobre Hilda Hilst e literatura obscena a leitura desta pentalogia me foi uma grata surpresa, não só pelo tipo de humor encontrado nela que convencionou-se ser chamado de rabelaisiano ou pantagruélico e que pelos cinéfilos também pode ser chamado de “brancaleônico”, mas principalmente a forma brilhante em que Rabelais faz uso das palavras.
O primeiro livro na verdade foi o segundo a ser escrito, trata da história de Gargântua, pai de Pantagruel, e a guerra das fogaças. O segundo livro, mas primeiro a ser escrito, trata-se da guerra dos Dipsodos. A partir do terceiro livro a saga se atêm ao melhor amigo de Pantagruel, Panúrgio, começando com uma infindável corrida para saber se acaso ele se casar será corno ou não, esgotados os meios filosóficos e divinatórios no terceiro livro, partem para uma viagem a partir do quarto livro conhecendo muitos povos e finalmente chegam ao seu destino ao final do quinto livro quando encontram a diva botelha.
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
If you think repeated references to farts are funny, then you may enjoy this. For the rest of us, there were moments in the book that were mildly amusing. Overall way too long and filled with pointless verbosity. More isn't always better. ( )
  nlgeorge | Apr 4, 2018 |
I read this years ago in the Everyman's Library edition, which reprints an old translation by Sir Thomas Urquhart. Urquhart has been criticized for taking liberties with his translation--i.e., not translating the text "accurately." To that I say: so what! I'm never going to read this book in French. And Urquhart was himself a brilliant writer, and his translation is a marvel. So over-the-top funny and strange, such verbose genuis, I had a hard time putting it down. ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
Tell me, does this ever stop being a big law school in-joke? ( )
  sirk.bronstad | Feb 16, 2017 |

Cohen, J. M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doré, GustaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hémard, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauffer, Edward McKnightCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le Clercq, Jacques Georges ClemenceauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le Motteux, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandfort, J.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Screech, M. A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Urqhart, Sir ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Urquhart, Sir ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Most noble and illustrious drinkers, and you thrice precious pockified blades (for to you, and none else do I dedicate my writings), Alcibiades, in that dialogue of Plato's which is entitled The Banquet, whilst he was setting forth the praises of his schoolmaster Socrates (without all question the prince of philosophers), amongst other discourses to that purpose said that he resembled the Sileni.
So far as I am concerned, I would have every man put aside his proper business, take no care for his trade, and forget his own affairs, in order to devote himself entirely to this book. I would have him allow no distraction or hindrance from elsewhere to trouble his mind, until he knows it by heart; so that if the art of printing happened to die out, or all books should come to perish, everyone should be able, in time to come, to teach it thoroughly to his children, and to transmit it to his successors and survivors, as if from hand to hand, like some religious Cabala.
If you say to me: 'It does not seem very wise of you to have written down all this gay and empty balderdash for us,' I would reply that you do not show yourself much wiser by taking pleasure in the reading of it.
If you want to be good Pantagruelists, moreover - that is to say, to live in peace, joy, and health, always making good cheer - never trust in men who peer from under a cowl.
Friar John: "By my thirst, dear friend, when the snows are on the mountains - the head and chin, I mean - there's no great heat in the valleys of the cod-piece." Panurge: "By the blisters on your heels, you don't understand plain logic. When the snow's on the mountains there is thunder, lightning, whirlwinds, avalanches, tempests and all the devils in the valleys...You mock me for my greying hair, but you don't consider that my nature is like the leeks, which we find white on top when its tail's green, straight, and vigorous."
This work does indeed contain all five of the books of Gargantua and Pantagruel (i.e. Gargantua, Pantagruel, The Third Book, The Fourth Book, The Fifth Book), even though in some cases (e.g. the Penguin Classics edition), only ‘Gargantua’ and ‘Pantagruel’ are mentioned on the front cover.

Any editions consisting of only ‘Gargantua’ and ‘Pantagruel’ (check the table of contents) should be separated from this work.
This work consists of the five books of Gargantua and Pantagruel, i.e.:
- Gargantua
- Pantagruel
- The Third Book (Le tiers livre)
- The Fourth Book (Le quart livre)
- The Fifth Book (Le cinquième livre)
Should not be combined with editions that contain only the first two books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,942,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible