The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Other authors: Richard M. Powers (Illustrator)

Series: Sherlock Holmes (3)

He's rude, arrogant, cold, unfriendly, and easily bored. But nobody minds, because Sherlock Holmes is a genius at solving mysteries. This collection of some of Holmes's most intriguing cases includes unabridged tales of blackmail, lost fortunes, and, of course, murder. Reissue.
1890s (10)
My TBR (10)

English (210)  Spanish (9)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (224)
Another great collection - I especially enjoyed 'The Speckled Band'. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
Sherlock Holmes solves mysteries.

2.5/4 (Okay).

Some of these are pretty bad, especially the early ones where Doyle (and therefor Holmes) is on the side of the villains as often as not. They improve as they go, as Doyle settles into a formula. Unfortunately, unlike the preceding novellas, there's no character development at all.

(May 2022) ( )
  comfypants | May 11, 2022 |
Skemmtilegar sögur af snilli einkaspæjarans sérvitra Sherlock Holmes. Hann er sennilega ein fyrsta ofurhetja skáldsagnanna og það sem gerir hann svo eftirminnilegann er að Doyle skapaði hann breyskan, drambsaman, félagslega heftann og frámunalega gáfaðann. Allar bera þó smásögurnar keimlíkan svip. Kúnni mætir til þeirra Holmes og Watson, leggur fyrir þá vandamál þar sem sárafáir einstaklingar koma við sögu. Holmes sér það sem enginn annar sér, leiðir af því réttu rökin og leysir málið. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
If you've ever read Sherlock Holmes, you don't need me to tell you how brilliant this collection of stories is. It has most of my favourites: A Scandal in Bohemia, The Adventure of the Red-Headed League, The Five Orange Pips, The Man with the Twisted Lip and The Adventure of the Speckled Band. The rest are all great too, but those have always been the stories I remember, even after reading the entire collection at least half a dozen times.

Sherlock Holmes is, far and away, my favorite all-time literary character and I never get tired of reading him; Watson... ok, if I read too many stories in a row I want to throttle Watson because surely he can't be that obtuse all the time? But he's a big teddy bear and someone needs to play the straight man to Holmes' brilliance.

[PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge: A banned book.] ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 17, 2022 |
This is the first Sherlock Holmes I have read. I was disappointed, although I have to admit I enjoyed the stories more as time went on. Maybe it is that I am not a fan of short stories anyways because it is difficult to build character but it seemed to me these stories were dry and lacked imagination. ( )
  gsteinbacher | Dec 30, 2021 |

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
'You have the grand gift of silence, Watson,' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.'
'I think, Watson, that you are now standing in the presence of one of the most absolute fools in Europe. I deserve to be kicked from here to Charing Cross.'
'Crime is common. Logic is rare.'
'Data! data! data!' he cried impatiently. 'I can't make bricks without clay.'
'If I claim full justice for my art, it is because it is an impersonal thing – a thing beyond myself. Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is upon the logic rather than upon the crime that you should dwell. You have degraded what should have been a course of lectures into a series of tales.'
This is the main work for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the original collection of 12 short stories. Examples of this work include the Oxford World's Classics edition (ISBN 0192835084), the Scholastic Classics edition (ISBN 0439574285), Books of Wonder #0001 (ISBN 9780688107826). Be careful not to combine with omnibus editions that contain other works, as they sometimes carry the same title as this work, or with adaptations, abridgements, etc.
This omnibus volume--which contains the books A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--is the first of a three-volume set containing the complete Sherlock Holmes. It should not be combined with the original The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which contained only 12 short stories.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: A Definitive Text, corrected and Edited by Edgar W. Smith, With an Introduction by Vincent Starrett, . . ., first published in 1950 by the Heritage Press, an imprint of the George Macy Companies. It has been reproduced by The Easton Press as a title in the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written Series, and in 1981 as the first volume of The Complete Sherlock Holmes, 100th Anniversary Edition, and has also been issued as a Collector's Library edition. This edition contains two novels, A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four, and two short story collections, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. This edition should not be combined with the original The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which contained only 12 short stories.

Contents:
  11. The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
  12. The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

-----------------------------------------
From the first page:
(From the Red-Headed League)

Sherlock Holmes shook his head with a smile. "Beyond the obvious facts that our visitor has at some time done manual labour, that he takes snuff, that he is a Freemason, that he has been in China, and that he has done a considerable amount of writing lately, I can deduce nothing else."

"How did you know all that, Mr Holmes?" our visitor asked?

"Your hands, my dear sir. Your right hand is a size larger than your left. I won't insult your intelligence about the snuff and the Freemasonary, especially as, against the strict rules of your order, you wear a breastpin."

"But the writing?"

"Your right cuff is shiny for five inches, and your left has a smooth patch near the elbow ehre you lean it on the desk."

"But China?"

"The tattooed fish above your right wrist could only have come from China."

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141034351, 0141045167, 0241952905

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832580, 1907832599

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,577,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible