How to Stop Time

by Matt Haig

Tom Hazard has a dangerous secret. He may look like an ordinary 41-year-old, but owing to a rare condition, he's been alive for centuries. Tom has lived history--performing with Shakespeare, exploring the high seas with Captain Cook, and sharing cocktails with Fitzgerald. Now, he just wants an ordinary life. So Tom moves back to London, his old home, to become a high school history teacher--the perfect job for someone who has witnessed the city's history first hand. Better yet, a captivating French teacher at his school seems fascinated by him. But the Albatross Society, the secretive group which protects people like Tom, has one rule: Never fall in love. As painful memories of his past and the erratic behavior of the Society's watchful leader threaten to derail his new life and romance, the one thing he can't have just happens to be the one thing that might save him. Tom will have to decide once and for all whether to remain stuck in the past, or finally begin living in the present. How to Stop Time is a bighearted, wildly original novel about losing and finding yourself, the inevitability of change, and how with enough time to learn, we just might find happiness.… (more)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (shaunie)
    Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: For another take on immortality, try Before Ever After, in which a woman learns that her supposedly late husband is actually alive -- and centuries older than she thought. A wealth of obscure historical lore makes events come alive.
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (Othemts)
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (Othemts)

English (100)  German (3)  All languages (103)
The premise for this book is actually unique and interesting. Unfortunately, it lost my interest about halfway through. I did finish the book, but it was a chore. I am not really sure what the problem was; The characters were likable, the dual storytelling between the past and present was done very well, and, as I said, the premise is a great one. It just dragged a bit in the telling. ( )
  Ireadwhatuwrite | Jun 23, 2022 |
I enjoyed The Humans. Couldn’t finish this. Just seemed... bland. And predictable. Felt like a really contrived way for the author to explore historical fiction through a cheap gimmick that could have been more interesting. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
How ironic. After getting done with reading about Addie LaRue, a woman who lived for 300 years, I read a book about Tom Hazard, a guy who lived 400 years. I sense a trend in my reading.

Tom Hazard is just born with good (cursed?) genes allowing him to age more slowly than the average bloke. He runs around the world starting a new life every eight years or so with the help of the Albatross Society.

It was a book that I purposely slowed down to really enjoy, as opposed to my rage reading. Matt masterfully weaves philosophy and history into a tremendous book. I enter a Matt Haig book with lofty expectations and somehow he keeps checking all the check boxes. It's a book that reminds me why I love reading.

wellington299 | Feb 19, 2022 |
An interesting concept and lots of insights into people and time. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jan 21, 2022 |

Matt Haigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meadows, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andrea
I often think of what Hendrich said to me, over a century ago, in his New York apartment.
"It's strange, isn't it? All the things that we have lived to see.... spectacles, the printing press, newspapers, rifles, compasses, the telescope, the pendulum clock, the piano, Impressionist paintings, photography, Napoleon, champagne, semi-colons, billboards, the hot dog."
Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.
The key to happiness wasn’t being yourself, because what did that even mean? Everyone had many selves. No. The key to happiness is finding the lie that suits you best.
There comes a time when the only way to start living is to tell the truth. To be who you really are, even if it is dangerous.

Eternally young,
longing for true connections.
I can trust no one.
(PeggyDean)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,515,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible