How to Stop Time

by Matt Haig

Tom Hazard has a dangerous secret. He may look like an ordinary 41-year-old, but owing to a rare condition, he's been alive for centuries. Tom has lived history--performing with Shakespeare, exploring the high seas with Captain Cook, and sharing cocktails with Fitzgerald. Now, he just wants an ordinary life. So Tom moves back to London, his old home, to become a high school history teacher--the perfect job for someone who has witnessed the city's history first hand. Better yet, a captivating French teacher at his school seems fascinated by him. But the Albatross Society, the secretive group which protects people like Tom, has one rule: Never fall in love. As painful memories of his past and the erratic behavior of the Society's watchful leader threaten to derail his new life and romance, the one thing he can't have just happens to be the one thing that might save him. Tom will have to decide once and for all whether to remain stuck in the past, or finally begin living in the present. How to Stop Time is a bighearted, wildly original novel about losing and finding yourself, the inevitability of change, and how with enough time to learn, we just might find happiness.… (more)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (shaunie)
    Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: For another take on immortality, try Before Ever After, in which a woman learns that her supposedly late husband is actually alive -- and centuries older than she thought. A wealth of obscure historical lore makes events come alive.
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (Othemts)
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (Othemts)

English (86)  German (3)  All languages (89)
Watch my Review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugeHu-jPmX0

~~~~~~

I wanted so badly to love this book. It sounded so good. To good to be true. This book just couldn't decide what it wanted to be and ended up failing at everything. I want to go on a little rant here but I'm going to film a video review instead. Because I wanted to review it before I read it and now I want to do so even more. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 23, 2021 |
I really, really enjoyed this book about time - my favorite book of the year. (I wish I could give this 4-1/2 stars.) There is so much wisdom here and there are so many quotes I want to remember. I can definitely see myself reading this again at some date in the future. I highly recommend, enthusiastically! Check it out at your local library or buy a copy to read and enjoy! ( )
  ChetBowers | Mar 10, 2021 |
Sometimes you come across books with emotional meaning and theme tightly woven into the narrative, and this is one of them. Time is the enemy. Time is our friend. Maybe we don’t need to be told that (I see some reviews that seem to find this preachy), but I can’t help thinking we do (need reminding) in this modern world where we waste so much of it, and Matt Haig reminds us of what’s important superbly. The historical parts are vivid and highlight the stupidity of what we deem to be so important now. And I felt there was so much more to Tom’s life and experiences that we can alas only glimpse for the purpose of the story. The only flaw for me is I would have liked to have seen more page time spent between Tom and his modern day love interest. The book lacked the depth of love needed to make Tom want to live; his love for his daughter felt more real and a greater motivation, so if you’re looking for a hidden love story, it’s only vaguely there. Still, this is a superb book. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Feb 20, 2021 |
Didn't really work for me. Not entirely sure why although I'm always a bit queasy about individuals having genetic changes that separate them from the general population. As far as I understand, the human race is a single race with variation between individuals and in this book individuals are either mayflys or not. I kept reading anyway but can't recommend it. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |

Matt Haigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meadows, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andrea
I often think of what Hendrich said to me, over a century ago, in his New York apartment.
"It's strange, isn't it? All the things that we have lived to see.... spectacles, the printing press, newspapers, rifles, compasses, the telescope, the pendulum clock, the piano, Impressionist paintings, photography, Napoleon, champagne, semi-colons, billboards, the hot dog."

Eternally young,
longing for true connections.
I can trust no one.
(PeggyDean)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,722,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible