How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

How to Stop Time

by Matt Haig

Recently added bymuwaffaq, rena75, ehcall, EmelieBurl, CaitZ, private library
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (shaunie)
    Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: For another take on immortality, try Before Ever After, in which a woman learns that her supposedly late husband is actually alive -- and centuries older than she thought. A wealth of obscure historical lore makes events come alive.
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (Othemts)
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (Othemts)

English (47)  German (1)  All languages (48)
An interesting tale. Perhaps this is literature in which we are meant to just enjoy the writing itself ? The premise was good but it could have been so much more and ending up being rather predictable with little in the way of interesting plot. For somebody who had lived so long and seen so much the protagonist was a bit of whiner as well to boot. ( )
  muwaffaq | Mar 20, 2019 |
I didn’t know what to expect from this book, so I was surprised that it was a bit of a fantasy book. Tom Hazard is an old man (439 years old, born March 3, 1581) but only looks to be about 40. He is a member of the Albatross society, run by Hendrich. The society is a group determined to keep their age condition / lack of growing old (“anageria”) a secret. Tom has lived through wars, meeting famous playwrights (Shakespeare) and authors (Fitzgerald), and had many careers. But he pines for his dead wife, Rose, and their daughter, Marion.
A sweet, unique book of a man who had a love that lasted centuries, and trying to find love again.

#HowToStopTime #MattHaig ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
This book was recommended to my by my bestie who probably knows better than most what my taste in literature is and she wasn't wrong with this one. However, I'm a fickle mood reader and when I picked up this book I just wasn't particularly interested in reading about the lives of these characters. The story follows a man named Tom who has a rare ability: he ages at an incredibly slow rate. The reader follows him from his birth up to the present where he is struggling with his centuries old existence and having to keep his secret (while trying to locate his estranged daughter). There's a secret society of those like him that are ruled over by a man who will do everything in his seemingly unlimited powers to keep their secret from being leaked. The issue I had wasn't that I didn't enjoy the narrative or its delivery but that once I put it down I didn't actively seek to pick it back up. (It was also on hold at the library so I didn't have long to languish over it.) I took that as a sign that this was one I'd have to revisit some time in the future. (haha time reference) Progress: I made it to page 127 out of 325. ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 9, 2019 |
there are some gems in here: moments of humor, succinct observation on the human condition, quotable quotes but it feels like there’s a lot to “wade through” too - the structure is a repetitive and tidy back and forth - maybe too interruptive ? too repetitive ? ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Ehhhhh wasn’t really great but wasn’t bad. Just kinda there and it passed the time on my commute. I combined the physical book and audio version. Interesting concept but just didn’t wow me. 3-3.5 🌟 ( )
  karenvg3 | Nov 8, 2018 |

Matt Haigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meadows, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andrea
I often think of what Hendrich said to me, over a century ago, in his New York apartment.
"It's strange, isn't it? All the things that we have lived to see.... spectacles, the printing press, newspapers, rifles, compasses, the telescope, the pendulum clock, the piano, Impressionist paintings, photography, Napoleon, champagne, semi-colons, billboards, the hot dog."

Eternally young, longing for true connections. I can trust no one. (PeggyDean)

Tom Hazard has a dangerous secret. He may look like an ordinary 41-year-old, but owing to a rare condition, he's been alive for centuries. Tom has lived history--performing with Shakespeare, exploring the high seas with Captain Cook, and sharing cocktails with Fitzgerald. Now, he just wants an ordinary life. So Tom moves back to London, his old home, to become a high school history teacher--the perfect job for someone who has witnessed the city's history first hand. Better yet, a captivating French teacher at his school seems fascinated by him. But the Albatross Society, the secretive group which protects people like Tom, has one rule: Never fall in love. As painful memories of his past and the erratic behavior of the Society's watchful leader threaten to derail his new life and romance, the one thing he can't have just happens to be the one thing that might save him. Tom will have to decide once and for all whether to remain stuck in the past, or finally begin living in the present. How to Stop Time is a bighearted, wildly original novel about losing and finding yourself, the inevitability of change, and how with enough time to learn, we just might find happiness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,398,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible