dismiss

The Book of Dragons: An Anthology

by Jonathan Strahan (Editor)

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Contributor), Kelly Barnhill (Contributor), Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Brooke Bolander (Contributor), Beth Cato (Contributor)22 more, Zen Cho (Contributor), C.S.E. Cooney (Contributor), Aliette de Bodard (Contributor), Kate Elliott (Contributor), Sarah Gailey (Contributor), Theodora Goss (Contributor), Ellen Klages (Contributor), R.F. Kuang (Contributor), Ann Leckie (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), Scott Lynch (Contributor), Todd McCaffrey (Contributor), Patricia A. McKillip (Contributor), Garth Nix (Contributor), KJ Parker (Contributor), Kelly Robson (Contributor), Michael Swanwick (Contributor), Rachel Swirsky (Contributor), Jo Walton (Contributor), Elle Katharine White (Contributor), JY Yang (Contributor), Jane Yolen (Contributor)

Anthologies are just not something that I seem to enjoy. I nabbed this as an audiobook.

While I appreciate the diversity of stories and types of dragons, overall I was just really bored. Each story is about an hour or shorter and if you can’t pull me into your story within 5-15 minutes, then I’m not gonna finish it. I skipped over quite a few stories and out of the ones I did listen to fully I only really enjoyed “Where the River Turns to Concrete” by Brooke Bolander, as well as most of the poems.

Pretty lack luster overall for me though, which is rough for me to admit as I love dragons, these just didn’t do it for me. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 31, 2020 |
There were only four or five stories I found just okay or worse--most of those were in the last 150 pages or so, weirdly--and the rest were more than good enough to make up for the occasional dip in quality. Wow! I don't read many anthologies, but I sure do love dragons, and this book does them justice. I had a great few days reading it. I'm so glad I gave it a chance. ( )
  livmae | Jul 17, 2020 |
Not a review. Includes my poem "I Make Myself a Dragon."
  ladycato | Feb 28, 2020 |

White, Elle KatharineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yang, JYContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cai, RovinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Scott Lynch, R.F. Kuang, Kate Elliott, Ken Liu, Todd McCaffrey, Garth Nix, Peter S. Beagle, and other modern masters of fantasy and science fiction put their unique spin on the greatest of mythical beasts—the dragon—in never-before-seen works written exclusively for this fantasy anthology compiled by award-winning editor Jonathan Strahan and with art by Rovina Cai!Here there be dragons . . . From China to Europe, Africa to North America, dragons have long captured our imagination in myth and legend. Whether they are rampaging beasts awaiting a brave hero to slay or benevolent sages who have much to teach humanity, dragons are intrinsically connected to stories of creation, adventure, and struggle beloved for generations. Bringing together nearly thirty stories and poems from some of the greatest science fiction and fantasy writers working today— Garth Nix, Scott Lynch, R.F. Kuang, Ann Leckie & Rachel Swirsky, Daniel Abraham, Peter S. Beagle, Beth Cato, Zen Cho, C. S. E Cooney, Aliette de Bodard, Kate Elliott, Theodora Goss, Ellen Klages, Ken Liu, Patricia A McKillip, K. J. Parker, Kelly Robson, Michael Swanwick, Jo Walton, Elle Katharine White, Jane Yolen, Kelly Barnhill, Brooke Bolander, Sarah Gailey, and J. Y. Yang—and illustrated by award-nominated artist Rovina Cai with black-and-white line drawings specific to each entry throughout, this extraordinary collection vividly breathes fire and life into one of our most captivating and feared magical creatures as never before and is sure to become a treasured keepsake for fans of fantasy, science fiction, and fairy tales.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,917,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible