Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos…

Les Liaisons Dangereuses (1782)

by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

4,585621,047 (4.11)1 / 308
    Cousin Bette by Honoré de Balzac (kristelako)
    The Mandrake Root by Niccolò Machiavelli (timoroso)
    Kwartet by Heiner Müller (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: "Quartett": Ein Schauspiel nach Choderlos de Laclos' Gefährliche Liebschaften bearbeitet
    Viscount Valmont #1 by さいとう ちほ (octopedingenue)
    octopedingenue: manga adaptation of the book

English (44)  French (8)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  All (62)
I read the audio production by audible, it was well done but it is abbreviated. But a very good dramatic presentation with multiple narrators. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 26, 2017 |
Plot:
The Victome de Valmont and the Marquise de Merteuil are thick as thieves, united in their love to manipulate and destroy the people around them, a skill they have so artfully mastered that their ploys don’t fall back on them. Both have a new project: Valmont is trying to seduce Madame de Tourvel who is staying at his aunt’s summer home and who is widely known for her morals and her loyalty to her husband. The Marquise, on the other hand, is looking for revenge on an ex-lover who just got engaged to the naive Cécile who has spent pracitcally her entire life in a convent. So she enlists Valmont’s help to completely corrupt Cécile.

I read this book for the first time when I was in school and I was very much intrigued by it, to say the least. But I haven’t re-read it since, so I was a little worried whether it would still hold up to scrutiny. Nevertheless, when it was announced that they’d show the play here, I figured it’s the ideal opportunity, to revisit the material (I almost finished it before seeing the play, too). Fortunately, the book is still fantastic in very many ways.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/04/01/re-read-les-liaisons-dangereuses-dangerous-liaisons-pierre-choderlos-de-laclos/ ( )
1 vote kalafudra | May 10, 2016 |
Had this book since watching Cruel Intentions (this book was source material). An enjoyable though disturbing read. ( )
  kale.dyer | May 8, 2016 |
What a pleasant surprise this book was. Although written in the late 1770s as an epistolary novel, an almost extinct structural device, the content was impressively dateless. The translation by Helen Constantine probably helped this effect - although not excessively modernised, the clear, concise text was probably more readable than the original French.
The plot centres on two aristocrats playing cat and mouse with the lives and loves of others. The story plays on the capriciousness of the two evil characters, and the more normal responses of those around them. I found myself absorbed in the story and finding it sadly believable.
I was impressed by the skill of the author to create a plot that moved along smoothly within the confines of the epistolary structure. The book was inspired by an earlier English novel "Clarissa" but it seems that this one is the one with greater depth in the psychology. In the end, the author uses great skill to bring the threads together, despatch all the main characters, and make a good end to the long tale. I recently read that Jane Austen attempted an epistolary novel, but gave up half way through - it is clearly a difficult structure to carry off successfully.
Read March 2016 ( )
1 vote mbmackay | Mar 3, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this classic, and even though I read a 1961 translation the content of the book still seems fresh. It's hard to imagine how scandalous it must have seemed at the time, as our mores have changed so much. The epistolic style made the plot much more intriguing, and the choice of letter author (and their style) gave it a lot of depth.

The only trouble was having seen the US film a few times, which frequently had me trying to match events in both... ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |

Morriën, AdriaanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papadopoulos, JoëlNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruata, AdolfoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, P. W. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ho veduto i costumi del mio tempo e ho pubblicato queste lettere. J.-J. Rousseau, prefazione alla Nouvelle Héloïse
Well, Sophie dear, as you see, I'm keeping my word and not spending all my time on bonnets and bows, I'll always have some to spare for you!
I was amazed at the pleasure a good deed can produce and I'm tempted to think that those so-called virtuous people don't deserve quite as much credit as we are invited to believe.
I perceive that it is three o'clock in the morning, and that I have written a volume, with the intention but to write a word. Such is the charm of confident friendship: 'tis on account of that, that you are always he whom I love the best; but, in truth, the Chevalier pleases me more.
Les Liaisons Dangereuses was published under the title Valmont to tie-in with the Milos Forman film. It is the same book and should not be separated.

What can you do with
Fifteen dozen French letters?
Here are some ideas.
(thorold)

An epistolary novel chronicles the cruel seduction of a young girl by two ruthless, 18th-century aristocrats.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

Depicting decadence and moral corruption in pre-revolutionary France, Dangerous Liaisons is one of the most scandalous and controversial novels in European literature. Two aristocrats embark on a sophisticated game of seduction and manipulation to bring amusement to their jaded existences. While the Marquise de Merteuil challenges the Vicomte de Valmont to seduce an innocent convent girl, the Vicomte is also occupied with the conquest of a virtuous married woman.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140449574, 0141195142

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,166,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible