Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Hatchet (1987)

by Gary Paulsen

English (474)  Polish (1)  All languages (475)
I really enjoyed reading this book because of the characters and the plot. The main character, Brian shows a lot of mental strength throughout the book as he copes with learning how to survive in the wilderness. He also shows a lot of growth throughout his journey. Brian even makes a clear distinction between where he is now mentally, and where he was before he crashed, because he was aware of how much he changed and grew as a person. He has become stronger and more mature. I also liked the plot of this book because Brian had a lot of unexpected challenges, such as being attacked by a moose and being hit by a tornado. However, he also had a lot of unexpected lucky breaks, such as finding the delicious raspberries and the turtle eggs, and being able to drink the lake water. It was also exciting reading about his adventure in getting the survival pack from inside the plane and trying to avoid the pilot's corpse. The main message of this book is that through perseverance and self-reliance, you can do anything. ( )
  GraceSommers | Sep 24, 2018 |
I'm not a fan of survival books in general because they have to be so detailed in their description of everything the character does on a daily basis. I didn't get to read Hatchet in fifth grade, but I always wanted to. This is a great story of survival and it focuses on the idea of being mentally tough. Fortitude is what allows the protagonist to survive the harsh conditions and I think that's a good message for young children to take home. ( )
  CaputoJohn | Sep 10, 2018 |
Readers of all ages will enjoy reading this contemporary realistic fiction book about 13-year old Brian and his quest for survival in the wilderness. Brian is on an airplane that crashes after the pilot has a heart attack. Stuck in the remote wilderness, he must learn to survive with the small amount of gear he has...his hatchet. He has much time to think and contemplate his life, including how to deal with his parents' divorce. "Brian Robeson, 13, is the only passenger on a small plane flying him to visit his father in the Canadian wilderness when the pilot has a heart attack and dies. The plane drifts off course and finally crashes into a small lake. Miraculously Brian is able to swim free of the plane, arriving on a sandy tree-lined shore with only his clothing, a tattered windbreaker, and the hatchet his mother had given him as a present. The novel chronicles in gritty detail Brian's mistakes, setbacks, and small triumphs as, with the help of the hatchet, he manages to survive the 54 days alone in the wilderness." ( )
  Milliky | Jul 23, 2018 |
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen is a contemporary realistic fiction book about survival. This Newbery Honor book is about a 13-year-old boy named Brian whose survives a plane crash and is left in the wilderness for 54 days. He learns how to fend for himself using his hatchet which was given to him by his mother. He also must deal with learning how to cope with his parents' divorce. This book is informative for seventh grade students so they can learn about how to survive if they were left in the wilderness. It also teaches children how to cope with parents who have gone through a divorce.
  JoanEChasse | Jul 10, 2018 |
When I picked this up as an ebook I was not aware of how short it is, but what it lacks in length it makes up for in strength of story. I found myself cheering for Brian and hoping his luck would change. I’m not sure if I crashed in the wilderness whether I’d even last a week. This is a quick read but a good one. It doesn’t get my vote for #GAR but you should read it anyway! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jun 4, 2018 |
secret, secret, oh the secret.
To the students of the Hershey Middle School
Brian Robeson stared out the window of the small plane at the endless green northern wilderness below.
He could not play the game without hope; could not play the game without a dream. They had taken it all away from him now, they had turned away from him and there was nothing for him now. The plane gone, his family gone, all of it gone. They would not come. He was alone and there was nothing for him.
In measured time, forty-seven days had passed since the crash. Forty-two days, he thought, since he had died and had been born as the new Brian.
Many times he thought he would not make it.
This LT work distinguishes Gary Paulsen's original 1988 novel, Hatchet, from later editions that include related readings. Thank you.

After his plane crashes on the way to visit his father in the Canadian oil fields, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given to him by his mother. Will Brain ever be able to find his way back home?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059098182X, Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to visit his father when the single-engine plane in which he is flying crashes. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but a tattered Windbreaker and the hatchet his mother gave him as a present -- and the dreadful secret that has been tearing him apart since his parent's divorce. But now Brian has no time for anger, self pity, or despair -- it will take all his know-how and determination, and more courage than he knew he possessed, to survive. For twenty years Gary Paulsen's award-winning contemporary classic has been the survival story with which all others are compared. This new edition, with a reading group guide, will introduce a new generation of readers to this page-turning, heart-stopping adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:33 -0400)

After a plane crash, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive initially with only the aid of a hatchet given him by his mother, and learning also to survive his parents' divorce.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,987,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible