dismiss

Hatchet (1987)

by Gary Paulsen

Series: Brian Robeson (1)

After a plane crash, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given him by his mother, and learning also to survive his parents' divorce.

English (507)  Polish (1)  All languages (508)
This book kept my heart racing. ( )
  JulianaMD | Jun 1, 2020 |
This was the second book I ever read. I was in the 7th grade, and is probably a huge reason why I loved LOST as much as I did. This book is an "early" LOST, and probably closer to Cast Away than anything. Completely fantastic book. Of course, haven't read it in a very long time. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
When I was a young teenager, I really enjoyed this book. I know I read it multiple times because the story was so enjoyable to me at that age. I don't know what I'd think of it if I were to re-read it now, but I know that I really liked it then.

(I'm guessing on the year I first read it, because I know my copy had the Newbery Honor emblem on the cover (received in 1988) but I was also still young enough that I was about Brian's age. I'm also not adding the re-reads, since I don't remember how many times I read it nor how old I was the last time I read it.) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Darn good book by Gary Paulsen. This guy has a knack for writing and am just impressed each time I pick up a title of his. Hatchet, and Brian (the story's protagonist) tell a great tale of a 13 year old's adventure when the single engine airplane went down in the Canadian wilderness and is the only survivor. ( )
  Schneider | May 7, 2020 |
This is a story of a young boy who is stranded on an island, and faces many challenges in his fight for survival. This book, Hatchet is a realistic fiction novel written by Gary Paulsen. A boy named Brian is living life travelling between his parents after they divorced. On his way to his father by plane, the plane crashes onto an unknown land mass. Brian is stranded with no communication with the outside world, and to his surprise, he finds that the pilot is dead. He soon finds out that he has a crucial tool with him, a hatchet. This tool was crucial to his survival, as it allowed him to create fire, tools, and hunt. Some of the obstacles he faces are unpredictable weather, food, and creating a signal fire. He has to gather lots of wood, and uses his hatchet to create sparks and ignite the wood. He also ends up having to eat foods that many would find to be extremely unappetizing in order to properly maintain his hunger. The close calls with death that Brian encounters, along with his quick thinking creates suspense and makes the novel very interesting to read. I would recommend reading this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers, because this novel has a very interesting, extravagant plot. ( )
  Abrorbek_Karimjonov | Feb 14, 2020 |
secret, secret, oh the secret.
To the students of the Hershey Middle School
Brian Robeson stared out the window of the small plane at the endless green northern wilderness below.
He could not play the game without hope; could not play the game without a dream. They had taken it all away from him now, they had turned away from him and there was nothing for him now. The plane gone, his family gone, all of it gone. They would not come. He was alone and there was nothing for him.
In measured time, forty-seven days had passed since the crash. Forty-two days, he thought, since he had died and had been born as the new Brian.
Many times he thought he would not make it.
This LT work distinguishes Gary Paulsen's original 1988 novel, Hatchet, from later editions that include related readings. Thank you.

After his plane crashes on the way to visit his father in the Canadian oil fields, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given to him by his mother. Will Brain ever be able to find his way back home?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,916,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible