Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Hatchet (1987)

by Gary Paulsen

Recently added byOlaDistrictLibrary, aspirit, private library, SophiaA.G1, mchowell, megobego, cpchapman, Logann

English (491)  Polish (1)  All languages (492)
Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to live with his father after his parent's divorce. The plane crashes, and he's left to his devices in the Canadian forest.

When I first read this book, as a teen, much of the story felt overly familiar, which suggest things about my childhood I'm reluctant to revisit well into adulthood. One unique moment from the story that's stuck with me is when Brian meets a timber wolf, an animal unrecognizable from grim fairy tales of European wolves. ( )
  aspirit | Apr 19, 2019 |
A kid named Brian Robeson is flying in a private plane to see his father in Canada. It is the first time he is seeing him since his parents got a divorce. In the plane Brian starts a conversation with the pilot, the pilot tells Brian some basics about flying a plane. And suddenly the pilot either has a heart attack and dies. Brian then realized he has to take over flying the plane. He doesn’t know all of the buttons but he can manage. He tries to contact people for help, he got somebody from the other line but lost him quickly. Brian saw a lake and an opportunity to land the plane somewhere. When the plane landed Brian passed out on the shore. When he recovered from the crash he made himself a shelter, because he didn't know how long he’d be there and he found some berries to eat. Brian got attacked by a porcupine and found a way to keep animals out along with how to start a fire. Brian started to eat bigger animals as his weaponry got more advanced he started to catch fish and birds. One night there was a tornado, and Bian saw hat his shelter was ruined, but e also saw the tail of the lane sticking out of the water and he realizes that there is a safety survival kit. After several attempts of getting into the plane which was protected by metal, he finally got inside to the kit. He finds cooking tools, freeze-dried foods, and also a radio which he tries to get to work but he set it down to cook some freeze-dried foods. While eating Brian hears a vehicle overhead, that meant the radio worked. Brian signals the plane and Brian got rescued.

I liked this book a lot. I like it because I simply couldn’t place the book down after I started reading it. It is intense, revolting, dark, and relatable. If you decide to read this make sure you have the rest of the day off to finish the series. ( )
  SophiaA.G1 | Apr 18, 2019 |
I read this book years ago, in middle school, but I still recall the emotional power it had over me. The main character, who shares my birth name, and his struggle for survival are memorable enough to continue to resonate with me after fifteen years. I hope to re-read this book again at some point in the future. ( )
  oacevedo | Apr 9, 2019 |
I like this novel for many reasons. One reason I like it is because the language is very descriptive and clear. For example, during the plane crash the author stated exactly what was going on with the plane, with Brian and how Brian was feeling. In actual time the plane crash would have happened very quickly, but the author took multiple pages to clearly explain what exactly was happening. Another reason I like this novel is because the point of view was in third person. This helped make the story more clear. I feel like if it was from Brian's point of view a lot would have been going on because he was so stressed. For example, "The plane was gone, his family gone, all of it gone. They would not come. He was alone and there was nothing for him." This sentence gives clarity to what Brian is feeling, total emptiness. Whereas if it was Brian talking about it, he probably would not have been as clear since there was so much going on in his head. The main message of this book is to rise above the hard times in life. Brian learned very quickly that he was not going to survive feeling sorry for himself, and he knew he had to do something about it. ( )
  AlexandraLorditch | Mar 17, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book "Hatchet" and thought it was a unique book about survival. I liked how the author used motifs like a secret or the hatchet in order to convey an idea of overcoming weaknesses. I also like how the author always described the setting like with the "L shaped" lake or the lean-to. Overall, this book deals with adult themes like survival and overcoming lowest points physically and mentally in a format that kids can still enjoy. ( )
  kaitlynforney | Mar 6, 2019 |
secret, secret, oh the secret.
To the students of the Hershey Middle School
Brian Robeson stared out the window of the small plane at the endless green northern wilderness below.
He could not play the game without hope; could not play the game without a dream. They had taken it all away from him now, they had turned away from him and there was nothing for him now. The plane gone, his family gone, all of it gone. They would not come. He was alone and there was nothing for him.
In measured time, forty-seven days had passed since the crash. Forty-two days, he thought, since he had died and had been born as the new Brian.
Many times he thought he would not make it.
This LT work distinguishes Gary Paulsen's original 1988 novel, Hatchet, from later editions that include related readings. Thank you.

After his plane crashes on the way to visit his father in the Canadian oil fields, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given to him by his mother. Will Brain ever be able to find his way back home?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059098182X, Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to visit his father when the single-engine plane in which he is flying crashes. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but a tattered Windbreaker and the hatchet his mother gave him as a present -- and the dreadful secret that has been tearing him apart since his parent's divorce. But now Brian has no time for anger, self pity, or despair -- it will take all his know-how and determination, and more courage than he knew he possessed, to survive. For twenty years Gary Paulsen's award-winning contemporary classic has been the survival story with which all others are compared. This new edition, with a reading group guide, will introduce a new generation of readers to this page-turning, heart-stopping adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:33 -0400)

After a plane crash, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive initially with only the aid of a hatchet given him by his mother, and learning also to survive his parents' divorce.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible