The Little White Horse (1946)

by Elizabeth Goudge

In 1842, thirteen-year-old orphan Maria Merryweather arrives at her ancestral home in an enchanted village in England's West Country, where she discovers it is her destiny to right the wrongs of her ancestors and end an ancient feud.
    The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (infiniteletters)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Delightfully magical adventures.
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Litrvixen)
    Litrvixen: While "The Little Garden" has no magic elements I always think of them as similar since they both involve orphan girls who has to live with an unhappy relative in their big sprawling mansion,and by the end they have helped make the house and inhabitants happy again.… (more)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (HollyMS)
    The Richleighs of Tantamount by Barbara Willard (muumi)
    The Children of Green Knowe by L. M. Boston (HollyMS)
    Lyrico : The Only Horse of His Kind by Elizabeth Vincent Foster (infiniteletters)
    Shadow Castle by Marian Cockrell (HollyMS)

English (46)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
Oct. 2016-- I purchased a few copies of this for my kids as it's one of the books we're studying for our Victorian Sci-Fi & Fantasy class. Reading it through this second time, I didn't find it as magical as I did the first time around. I think part of that was due to the fact that I was taking notes and building a curriculum around it this time, rather than just reading for pleasure. Still, it's a lovely story and one of our family's favorites!

Oct. 2012--Excellent! This is my new favorite book! What a magical, wonderful story. I love how the author gives glory to God---both by having the children dedicate the land of the monastery back to God and also in the amazing description of the church service. ( )
  classyhomemaker | Dec 11, 2023 |
A sweet story I would've been all over as a child, despite some culturally- and era-specific morality running around in there. I can see the same voice as green dolphin (which was given to me so very randomly) and I can see why Rowling loved it.
  Kiramke | Jun 27, 2023 |
A particular kind of classic children's literature in which nothing too terrible happens, much is resolved, and you know from the first page that everyone is a very nice sort of person and all will end happily for them. And in between there are sometimes mysterious creatures and unexplained things and that's perfectly fine. Many adults would hate this book, but anyone who read it in childhood probably still loves it. It's that kind of book. I suspect it would irritate the shit out of Seanan McGuire, of Wayward Children fame, and anyone who longs for snark above earnestness but to me it's a cozy blanket of a book and a comfort in dark times. ( )
2 vote beserene | Dec 3, 2022 |
If someone can write a book like this, I think that's enough for them to be satisfied with their life. ( )
2 vote cloudshipsinger | Sep 22, 2022 |
Great children's story about an orphan who is sent to live with her rich old uncle in the country. She turns out to be a princess and saves the land. ( )
  Pferdina | Sep 18, 2022 |

Verlinden-Bakx, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voges, CarolIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Walter Hodges
With my thanks.
The carriage gave another lurch, and Maria Merrywether, Miss Heliotrope and Wiggins once more fell into each other's arms, sighed, gasped, righted themselves, and fixed their attention upon those objects which were for each of them at this trying moment the source of courage and strength.
There was an oak table in the middle of the room spread with a white cloth and red-and-white breakfast china, and there was a settle by the fire and a couple of hard oak chairs, but no other furniture and no pictures or ornaments. But the room did not need them because of the books, which stood there upon the shelves breathing out a friendliness that seemed to furnish and ornament the room, as did its spotless neatness and cleanliness.
The little white horse was filmed as The secret of Moonacre

A new-fashioned story that is as wonderful as the best fairy tales

When orphaned young Maria Merryweather arrives at Moonacre Manor, she feels as if she’s entered Paradise. Her new guardian, her uncle Sir Benjamin, is kind and funny; the Manor itself feels like home right away; and every person and animal she meets is like an old friend. But there is something incredibly sad beneath all of this beauty and comfort—a tragedy that happened years ago, shadowing Moonacre Manor and the town around it—and Maria is determined to learn about it, change it, and give her own life story a happy ending. But what can one solitary girl do?

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,347,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible