Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Tom's Midnight Garden (1958)

by Philippa Pearce

Evokes the past, and childhood, and the notion of generations in a thought provoking and sensitive way but what really remains for me are the feelings and the imagery of this magical yet quiet book that tells an age old story of boy meets girl and the old and the young. ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
This book stuck with me long after it was first read to me by my wonderful school librarian. This was one of those fine books that was read to us during our library time in my recollection, stretching out the suspense day by day and leaving us at the edge of our cushion-padded seats. I remembered most keenly the clock striking thirteen, and the strange way time was both past, present, and future all melded into one with each influencing the other as if it was the most natural thing in the world. It left a mark on me at the time, and a far larger one than I even realized until I reread it as an adult.

[b: Tom's Midnight Garden|543086|Tom's Midnight Garden|Philippa Pearce|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348198004s/543086.jpg|530403] falls into the category of classic children's books that are truly endless. It reads almost like a fairy tale, easing you into a world so slowly that without realizing it you are there with Tom living more in fantasy than in reality, the dullness of day to day eclipsed by the magical world of imagination. It's a ghost story, a mystery, a beautiful sci-fi tale of time slips and illusion that recalls back a childhood few of us have now lived with such striking detail that it tugs at your very heartstrings. This is a beautiful book, and the ending is among the most beautiful in literature that I have yet experienced.

I highly recommend this book be reread by anyone who grew up with it, and to be read by those who didn't. Don't worry about being too old, it will only take you an hour or so to read... but in that time you'll live at least two lifetimes, and hopefully be left with a smile on your face. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Loved this book. A beautifully written time travel story. My 12 yr old loved it too. Thanks for the recommendation Suzy! ( )
1 vote homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Wonderful the first time, more wonderful again. My book group seemed to like it a lot, too. Some of us want things clearer, others like the space for imagination given by a little ambiguity. I appreciate this fantasy that feels grounded in the real. It is so much more believable for me. ( )
1 vote njcur | Nov 18, 2016 |
Tom was going to spend the holidays with his brother Peter, and they had planned everything about it. But could anything be worse than Peter catching the measles? And to add on to troubles, Tom had not had them yet, and his parents were worried that he would catch them, so he was sent away for as long as they thought was good for him at his uncle and aunt's.

When he gets into the flat, the first thing he sees is Mrs Bartholomew's grandfather clock. It strikes at the wrong hour, perhaps donging three times when it is four, and seven times when it is nine; but its hands are always pointing at the correct time. Anyhow that it strikes, though, it has not yet struck thirteen.

Thirteen..thirteen. No clock, whether it is broken like Mrs Bartholomew's or not, has ever struck thirteen. To find out, Tom explores downstairs, and finds a large, beautiful garden. But in the day time, the garden is not there. So every night, on the thirteenth strike of the clock, Tom quietly goes downstairs, and finds the garden. And every time, peculiar things happen... ( )
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |

Philippa Pearceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Einzig, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.
He thought he knew where he could find information. He had often noticed on his aunt's kitchen shelf, together with Mrs Beeton's and all the other cookery books, a volume invitingly called Enquire Within Upon Everything. Now, when his aunt was out shopping, he slipped out of bed and borrowed it. He looked in the Index for clothing—Styles of Clothing in the Past. There was nothing under styles, or under past. Under clothes there were subheadings that Tom would certainly have found interesting at any other time—Loose Warmer than Tight, and Rendering Fireproof; but there was nothing about the changing fashions of history. He felt dispirited, as though he had been invited to call, and promised a feast, and then, when he had knocked at the door, found no one Within.

Tom is furious. His brother, Peter, has measles, so now Tom is being shipped off to stay with Aunt Gwen and Uncle Alan in their boring old apartment. There'll be nothing to do there and no one to play with. Tom just counts the days till he can return home to Peter.Then one night the landlady's antique grandfather clock strikes thirteen times leading Tom to a wonderful, magical discovery and marking the beginning of a secret that's almost too amazing to be true. But it is true, and in the new world that Tom discovers is a special friend named Hatty and more than a summer's worth of adventure for both of them. Now Tom wishes he could stay with his relativesand Hatty -- forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Winner of the Carnegie Medal From beloved author Philippa Pearce, a transcendent story of friendship that Philip Pullman, bestselling author of the His Dark Materials trilogy, called "a perfect book."  When Tom's brother gets sick, he's shipped off to spend what he's sure will be a boring summer with his aunt and uncle in the country. But then Tom hears the old grandfather clock in the hall chime thirteen times, and he's transported back to an old garden where he meets a young, lonely girl named Hatty. Tom returns to the garden every night to have adventures with Hatty, who mysteriously grows a little older with each visit. As the summer comes to an end, Tom realizes he wants to stay in the garden with Hatty forever. Winner of the Carnegie Medal, Tom's Midnight Garden is a classic of children's literature and a deeply satisfying time-travel mystery that The Guardian called "a modern classic."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,302,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible