The Silence of the Lambs (1988)

by Thomas Harris

Series: Hannibal Lecter Series (2)

A novice FBI agent, Clarice Starling, profiles the maniac cannibal, Hannibal Lecter, using one genius psychopath's mind to track down another elusive killer, and risking her life in the process.

English (104)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (114)
A reread from about six years ago, my last of 49 books read in 2015 was made into a hit movie starring Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. The story of the search for a serial killer who skins his victims is a fast-paced thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the final page. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |

It's impossible to read the book now without seeing Foster and Hopkins in your mind's eye, but this is not necessarily a bad thing of course. A couple of plot points which are really important did not make it to the screen - the illness and death of Crawford's wife, much of Starling's back story, Lecter's pun on the colouring agent for feces, and the explanation of the serial killer's psychology and strategy. Starling is if anything an even more three-dimensional character on the page. It's just as well paced, and if anything it's even better than the film. ( )
  nwhyte | May 17, 2021 |
This book is great loved every bit the serial killer is sooooooooo psycho but loved the writing and the characters ( )
  Shile.J | Apr 19, 2021 |
I still remember when I was little (10 years or so) and watching the movie "The Silence of the Lamb" without parental supervision was the most adventurous thing I did...
Years later (not too much) I read the book and I absolutely loved it!!! ( )
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |
I used to live with someone who worked at St Martin's when this book was published. He brought it home, said "this'll scare you," and then wandered off to be with his boyfriend. He left me alone with this book.

I have never quite forgiven him.

It scared the bejabbers out of me, had me curled up in the bathtub with the shower curtain closed (I have no idea, srsly), and caused me the most intense fear a book has elicited from me since [The Exorcist] in 1973. It was pants-poopingly unnerving.

But it didn't make a single whit of sense. ( )
  richardderus | Jan 24, 2021 |

Harris, Thomasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lebailly, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, FrankCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schurink-Vooren, EllyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not?
—1 Corinthians
Need I look upon a death's head in a ring, that have one in my face?
— John Donne, "Devotions"
To the memory of my father.
Behavioral Science, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth.
A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.
I expect most psychiatrists have a patient or two they'd like to refer to me.
Nothing happened to me, Officer Starling. I happened.
WorldCat has ISBN 9024542871 for both Lelijk eendje [The Ugly Duckling] by Iris Johansen AND De schreeuw van het lam [The Silence of the Lambs] by Thomas Harris.

HANNIBAL LECTER.
THE ULTIMATE VILLAIN OF MODERN FICTION.
A young FBI trainee. An evil genius locked away for unspeakable crimes. A plunge into the darkest chambers of a psychopath's mind-- in the deadly search for a serial killer...

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,287,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible