A brief history of time : from the big bang…

A brief history of time : from the big bang to black holes (original 1988; edition 1988)

by S. W. Hawking

Stephen W. Hawking, widely regarded as the most brilliant physicist since Einstein, discusses in a friendly and self-deprecating manner age-old questions about the origin and fate of the universe. Difficult concepts are made simple by Hawking's familiar, accessible prose.
Member:Gopal_Kamath
Title:A brief history of time : from the big bang to black holes
Authors:S. W. Hawking
Info:Toronto : Bantam Books, c1988.

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (1988)

Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays by Stephen W. Hawking (gandalf_grey)
    Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (OccamsHammer)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Although it's longer, Brian Greene's book is much more easily digestible. Plus, he gives you an idea of what they're hoping to discover at the Large Hadron Collider.
    Knowledge and Wonder by Victor F. Weisskopf (erik_galicki)
    erik_galicki: I think Weisskopf strikes a better balance between big picture and detail. Hawking provides more detail on particle physics and cosmology, but I think Weisskopf makes the connections between the two more apparent and clearer.
    From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll (steve.clason)
    Chaos and Harmony: Perspectives on Scientific Revolutions of the 20th Century by Xuan Thuan Trinh (Louve_de_mer)
    The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama XIV (leahsimone)

English (151)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (168)
Damn, this took me a long time to read *sigh* I had to re-read paragraphs two or three times to get the information to sink in but I got there in the end (a big thank you to my poor partner who had to deal with my endless questions, sorry but that's what you get for being a mathematician at my disposal). 'A Brief History of Time' has been on my 'To Read' list for as long as I can pretty much remember, I'm so glad I set the time aside to have a proper crack at it. Of course, I had a prior existing knowledge of the beginnings of the universe but it was awesome to be able to learn so much more about physics and it was funny too I loved Hawking's cheeky humour ❤️
He lost me a little at the introduction of String Theory, oh lawdd! (My poor partner had to have a notebook handy to draw diagrams for me) This book has made me realize how fucking awesome the universe and our existence is, I only wish that he hadn't alluded to the possibility of 'a creator' and kept it more aligned to his athiest views but it was the 80's.
You know, if there was an option to replace bibles in hotel rooms, this is the book to choose ( )
  MandaTheStrange | Oct 7, 2020 |
I was back and forth on trying to figure out whether to give this 3 or 4 stars and eventually went with 3. Even if we could find the meaning of the universe or figure out exactly how it began—and I don’t think we completely could—what good would it do us? Regardless of what your religious beliefs are, I don’t think you would really be able to do anything with that information. There are some things we can’t know, and that is one of them. And we don’t need to know. What impact would it have on us? I’m all for asking questions until you get good answers, but, in this case…not so much. In one part he spoke about someday possibly being able to predict future events. What I want to know is why you would want to do that. That would be like knowing who you were going to marry before you even met the person.

Overall, it was very interesting and packed with information, but it's one of the longest short books I've ever read because I had to trudge through much of it. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Must read for every one ( )
  devendradave | Sep 1, 2020 |
This book achieves what it sets out to do, to a large extent, giving a concise history of the universe and how time as a concept evolved. Set out for lay readers, it did at times go over my lay head, but for the most part this is fascinating and groundbreaking, and quite well written. ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |
This was actually my second time reading the book. Still a great read, very accessible for most people and a good pace through the different topics. It’s a bit dates in ways today but still overall very relevant. A really good introduction prior to reading more modern books on quantum relativity or string theory. ( )
  briandarvell | Aug 7, 2020 |
Through his cerebral journeys, Mr. Hawking is bravely taking some of the first, though tentative, steps toward quantizing the early universe, and he offers us a provocative glimpse of the work in progress.

Hawking, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonkers, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kreitmeyer, JensCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sagan, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, BerndConsultant (German Translation)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Souriau, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varteva, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated
to Jane
Introduction
We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world.

Che cosa sappiamo sull'universo, e come lo sappiamo? Da dove è venuto, e dove sta andando? L'universo ebbe un inizio e, in tal caso cosa c'era prima? Il tempo avrà mai una fine?" Con questi quesiti Stephen Hawking ci introduce in una straordinaria avventura: un'emozionante cavalcata nel tempo. L'espansione dell'universo, il principio di indeterminazione, le particelle elementari e le forze della natura, l'origine e la sorte dell'universo, l'unificazione della fisica sono le grandi tappe di questo viaggio indimenticabile. Ma oltre a riassumere le conoscenze tradizionali Hawking illustra le ultime teorie sulla fisica dei buchi neri, il principio antropico, la teoria dell'universo inflazionario, l'universo contenuto in una bolla.
(piopas)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible