One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

by Jim Fergus

An Indian request in 1854 for 1,000 white brides to ensure peace is secretly approved by the U.S. government in this alternate-history novel. Their journey west is described by May Dodd, a high-society woman released from an asylum where she was incarcerated by her family for an affair.
    These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner (bnbookgirl)
    The Jump-Off Creek by Molly Gloss (mysterymax)
    Between Earth and Sky by Amanda Skenandore (thea-block)
    thea-block: Similar subjects, tone, and picture of relationships between whites and natives.
    Jamestown by Matthew Sharpe (Othemts)
    Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel (bnbookgirl)
    The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth (Othemts)
    Westering Women: A Novel by Sandra Dallas (mbarrentine)
    mbarrentine: Strong, female characters; western; women traveling west in hopes of a better future or to leave behind the past; fully-realized, individual, female characters with depth and nuanced relationships
    Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown (Othemts)

English (177)  French (3)  All languages (180)
This book was surprisingly good, although the description and some of the reviewers have it wrong. This program, to marry white women to Native Americans was proposed by the Cheyennes to President Grant, but it did not actually happen. This is a fictional account of what could have happened. ( )
  kvoldstad | Jun 6, 2022 |
Blown away!

A reader friend recommended the book knowing I enjoy reading historical fiction. I downloaded the title without even reading the blurb. From the first pages of the "Introduction" written by J. Will Dodd, great-grandson of May Dodd and onward to the "Prologue" I was transported back in time to the mid-1870's. Due to a presentation gap of American history in my own education experience I have received no formal education/training of the time period between the end of the Civil War and personal awareness of American history that began on November 22, 2963, identifying that I have only a minuscule knowledge of the creation of American Indian reservations. Reading this book opened a window to the past and as with all historical fiction illuminates humanity or the lack thereof not merely the events listed in a nonfiction book.

With unparalleled creativity Jim Fergus presents a tale in journal format of the treatment by the government of indigenous people focusing on a Cheyenne tribe. I was riveted and immersed in the storyline that evoked a roller coaster of emotions that was at different twists haunting, blunt, heartbreaking, sensitive, scary, intriguing, humorous, and tear-jerking.

Blown away all over again in absolute shock at the reveal in the "Author's Note." Even recognizing the author’s disclosure the book brings to light pivotal history of the American West that some would prefer to stay in the past and for some eliminate as though it is not true. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Apr 15, 2022 |
One Thousand White Women is the story of May Dodd and a colorful assembly of pioneer women who, under the auspices of the U.S. government, travel to the Western prairies in 1875 to intermarry among the Cheyenne Indians.
The covert and controversial "Brides for Indians" program, launched by the administration of Ulysses S. Grant, is intended to help assimilate the Indians into the white man's world.

Toward that end, May and her friends embark upon the adventure of their lifetimes.

Author Jim Fergus has so vividly depicted the American West that it is as if these diaries are a capsule in time. ( )
  Gmomaj | Mar 21, 2022 |
Premise held promise, but inevitably, that promise was broken. ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
I stumbled on this 1st book in a series of 3 and am thrilled! I couldn't put it down. I had never heard of this part of our history and the fact that the author sought out information on it because of his family stories is wonderful! I just loved it! I already have the next one to curl up with. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Aug 6, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Women will love her, that she is a woman

More worth than any man; men that she is
The rarest of all women.

- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, V.1
To Dillon
23 March 1875: Today is my birthday, and I have received the greatest gift of all - freedom!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,792,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible