One Thousand White Women (1998)

by Jim Fergus

An Indian request in 1854 for 1,000 white brides to ensure peace is secretly approved by the U.S. government in this alternate-history novel. Their journey west is described by May Dodd, a high-society woman released from an asylum where she was incarcerated by her family for an affair.
    These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner (bnbookgirl)
    The Jump-Off Creek by Molly Gloss (mysterymax)
    Between Earth and Sky by Amanda Skenandore (thea-block)
    thea-block: Similar subjects, tone, and picture of relationships between whites and natives.
    Jamestown by Matthew Sharpe (Othemts)
    Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel (bnbookgirl)
    The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth (Othemts)
    Westering Women: A Novel by Sandra Dallas (mbarrentine)
    mbarrentine: Strong, female characters; western; women traveling west in hopes of a better future or to leave behind the past; fully-realized, individual, female characters with depth and nuanced relationships
    Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown (Othemts)

English (172)  French (3)  All languages (175)
not K. married to Cheyennes. pub 1999? read 2012
  18cran | Jun 7, 2021 |
This is my second reading of this novel and I loved it as much the 2nd time as I did the first. I love the diary/letter format and the characters are so rich in personality. The author does an excellent job of capturing life with the "savages" from a female point of view that you forget the book is written by a male. I would highly recommend this book. ( )
1 vote 3CatMom | Dec 28, 2020 |
Thoroughly enjoyed. Lots of history and realism. ( )
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
Thoroughly enjoyed. Lots of history and realism. ( )
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
A lot of fun, if a bit heavy on stereotypes. May was a fun character and I loved the use of her journal as the narrative device. Since the story was completely from her point of view, I had no problem with some of the characters being caricatures or a bit simplistic; this was her view of those around her. I also thought it was quite a fun look the old west - kind of a female Dances With Wolves. It definitely had it's problems (cliche love triangle, the warrior black woman) but overall I enjoyed it. May was a complex, interesting character and I wanted to know what would happen to her. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Women will love her, that she is a woman

More worth than any man; men that she is
The rarest of all women.

- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, V.1
To Dillon
23 March 1875: Today is my birthday, and I have received the greatest gift of all - freedom!

One Thousand White Women begins with May Dodd's journey west into the unknown. A government program, in which woman are brought west as brides for the Cheyenne, is her vehicle. What follows is the story of May's adventures: her marriage to Little Wolf, chief of the Cheyenne nation, and her conflict of being caught between two worlds, loving two men, living two lives. Jim Fergus has so vividly depicted the American West that it is as if these diaries are a capsule in time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,875,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible