Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Brideshead Revisited (1945)

by Evelyn Waugh

8,984198333 (4.05)789
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (Booksloth)
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (readerbabe1984)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (readerbabe1984)
    The Garden of the Finzi-Continis by Giorgio Bassani (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Both set prior to the Second World War, with a narrator looking back on time spent with a memorable family in a memorable and evocative setting. Same sense of melancholy and nostalgia.
    The End of the Affair by Graham Greene (WilliamQuill)
    A Dance to the Music of Time: First Movement, Spring by Anthony Powell (literarysarah)
    Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead by Paula Byrne (librarianistbooks, pellethepoet)
    The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (Anonymous user)
    The Queer Feet [Short story] by G. K. Chesterton (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Evelyn Waugh used this story by G.K. Chesterton as a basis for a number of ideas in his book.
    The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst (djmccord73)
    djmccord73: british families, class divisions, being an outsider, envy
    Missä kuljimme kerran : romaani eräästä kaupungista ja tahdostamme tulla ruohoa korkeammaksi by Kjell Westö (MGovers)
    The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford (chrisharpe)
    The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford (chrisharpe)
    The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Brideshead Revisited is to the 1940's as Rules of Attraction was to the 1980's.
1940s (6)

English (191)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (204)

I wanted to like this book. However the characters are unlikable and the story is slow moving. I thought about quitting several times. I wish I had.
  JBSassypants | May 7, 2017 |
Brideshead Revisited's characters, wit, and religious motifs kept me very engaged, despite my displeasure for the British Bourgeois. Most of all its humor through its characters make it worth the read.

The 4 children's paths are very insightful to the modern religious tradition. They each have their own way of reconciling the religion and tradition "of the builders" to the age of Hopper, Rex, and Blanche. In other words, they are haunted by it. This haunting creates the drama and meaning of their lives. Quite an interesting read.

Ultimately it is a book of resignation, not faith (c.f. Johannes de Silentio). This is not more obvious than in Julia's last words to Charles. Indeed, all the four children show signs of this movement, more than "the double movement." Brideshead glances more into existential and moral ghosts than, I suppose, the Catholic faith. ( )
  cambernard90 | Apr 12, 2017 |
The first Evelyn Waugh book I read. Really liked it, but of course, like most, found that the first half was better than the second half. Who wouldn't love Sebastian? Shame about the alcoholism, of course, but Aloysius was rather redeeming. Have yet to see that famed BBC version, am anticipating the September film version. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This is the tragedy of the Marchmain family, descendants of English recusant nobility, caught in the modern world. Whether it is the story of the friendship of the youngest Marchmain, Lord Sebastian, with the mysterious Charles Ryder, or the desires of Charles for the oldest daughter, Lady Julia, this story transcends what is acceptable and provides a glimpse into the world of the English Catholic elite. ( )
  cw2016 | Feb 28, 2017 |
But those who disagree with him on religious or political grounds, or both, will have a time for themselves in trying to prove that his beliefs have marred his literary artistry. "Brideshead Revisited” is Mr. Waugh's finest achievement.

"Lush and evocative ... the one Waugh which best expresses at once the profundity of change and the indomitable endurance of the human spirit."
added by GYKM | editThe Times

Waugh, Evelynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andel, E. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bentley,PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jalvingh, LucTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosoman, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not I; thou art not he or she; they are not they.
To Laura
When I reached C Company lines, which were at the top of the hill, I paused and looked back at the camp, just coming into full view below me through the grey mist of early morning.
"I have been here before," I said; I had been there before; first with Sebastian more than twenty years ago on a cloudless day in June, when the ditches were creamy with meadowsweet and the air heavy with all the scents of summer; it was a day of peculiar splendour, and though I had been there so often, in so many moods, it was to that first visit that my heart returned on this, my latest.
 "these men must die to make a world for Hooper ... so that things might be safe for the travelling salesman, with his polygonal pince-nez, his fat, wet handshake, his grinning dentures."
Do not combine with the movie or the mini-series.
Charles Ryder, a student at Hertford College, Oxford, is befriended by Lord Sebastian Flyte, the younger son of an aristocratic family, who introduces Charles to his eccentric and aesthetic friends, including the haughty and homosexual Anthony Blanche, and takes Charles to his family's palatial home, Brideshead.
Catholicism
makes all my friends unhappy.
Me too. Sign me up!
(PhileasHannay)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316926345, Paperback)

One of Waugh's most famous books, Brideshead Revisited tells the story of the difficult loves of insular Englishman Charles Ryder, and his peculiarly intense relationship with the wealthy but dysfunctional family that inhabited Brideshead. Taking place in the years before World War II, Brideshead Revisited shows us a part of upper-class English culture that has been disappearing steadily.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

Captain Charles Ryder, stationed at Brideshead, recalls his boyhood associations with the odd but charming members of an English noble family. The story of Charles Ryder and his involvement with an aristocratic Roman Catholic English family, the Marchmains.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Evelyn Waugh's book Brideshead Revisited was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182482, 0141187476, 0141045620, 0241951615, 0141193484

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible