Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Brideshead Revisited (1945)

by Evelyn Waugh

8,787192344 (4.05)784
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (Booksloth)
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (readerbabe1984)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (readerbabe1984)
    The Garden of the Finzi-Continis by Giorgio Bassani (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Both set prior to the Second World War, with a narrator looking back on time spent with a memorable family in a memorable and evocative setting. Same sense of melancholy and nostalgia.
    The End of the Affair by Graham Greene (WilliamQuill)
    A Dance to the Music of Time: First Movement, Spring by Anthony Powell (literarysarah)
    Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead by Paula Byrne (librarianistbooks, pellethepoet)
    The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (Anonymous user)
    The Queer Feet [Short story] by G. K. Chesterton (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Evelyn Waugh used this story by G.K. Chesterton as a basis for a number of ideas in his book.
    The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst (djmccord73)
    djmccord73: british families, class divisions, being an outsider, envy
    Missä kuljimme kerran : romaani eräästä kaupungista ja tahdostamme tulla ruohoa korkeammaksi by Kjell Westö (JustJoey4)
    The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford (chrisharpe)
    The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford (chrisharpe)
    The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Brideshead Revisited is to the 1940's as Rules of Attraction was to the 1980's.

English (185)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  English (198)
What a great book. Wonderfully written, intensely nostalgic, highly recommended. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Nice book which is full of art, religion and various kinds of friendship and love. It’s a story about golden age (college, parties …) and the decadent period after that (alcoholism, hopeless) . There is described transition of entire society, represented in miniature by one family.

"Here my last love died. There was nothing remarkable in the manner of its death. One day, not long before this last day in camp, as I lay awake before reveille, ... in that dark hour, I was aghast to realize that something within me, long sickening, had quietly died, and felt as a husband might feel, who, in the fourth year of his marriage, suddenly knew that he had no longer any desire, or tenderness, or esteem, for a once-beloved wife;
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |

Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
I hadn't read this novel for 30 years but it's still beautiful, sentimental, lyrical, and nostalgic for a time usurped by Hooper, and all the change he brought to post-war Britain and english society.

Superbly written, with exceptional dialogue, and beautifully narrated by Charles Ryder. If you have seen Jeremy Irons play the role in the world-class ITV series of 1981 you'll hear his voice echo throughout these pages.

The critics never regarded this as Waugh's best novel, but I disagree. It's his most enduring novel and a classic you can't ignore. ( )
  chrispearson | Jul 9, 2016 |
Wonderful! A poignant story of bygone days, this book is beautifully written and I loved every word. Evelyn Waugh brings the early 20th century to life through characters who are more than mere words on a page. He touches your heart and makes you aware that memories are life itself - "for we possess nothing certainly except the past". Brilliant novel and I will seek out more by this author. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
"Lush and evocative ... the one Waugh which best expresses at once the profundity of change and the indomitable endurance of the human spirit."
added by GYKM | editThe Times

But those who disagree with him on religious or political grounds, or both, will have a time for themselves in trying to prove that his beliefs have marred his literary artistry. "Brideshead Revisited” is Mr. Waugh's finest achievement.

Waugh, Evelynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andel, E. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bentley,PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irons, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jalvingh, LucTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosoman, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am not I; thou art not he or she; they are not they.
To Laura
When I reached C Company lines, which were at the top of the hill, I paused and looked back at the camp, just coming into full view below me through the grey mist of early morning.
"I have been here before," I said; I had been there before; first with Sebastian more than twenty years ago on a cloudless day in June, when the ditches were creamy with meadowsweet and the air heavy with all the scents of summer; it was a day of peculiar splendour, and though I had been there so often, in so many moods, it was to that first visit that my heart returned on this, my latest.
 "these men must die to make a world for Hooper ... so that things might be safe for the travelling salesman, with his polygonal pince-nez, his fat, wet handshake, his grinning dentures."
Do not combine with the movie or the mini-series.
Charles Ryder, a student at Hertford College, Oxford, is befriended by Lord Sebastian Flyte, the younger son of an aristocratic family, who introduces Charles to his eccentric and aesthetic friends, including the haughty and homosexual Anthony Blanche, and takes Charles to his family's palatial home, Brideshead.
Catholicism
makes all my friends unhappy.
Me too. Sign me up!
(PhileasHannay)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316926345, Paperback)

One of Waugh's most famous books, Brideshead Revisited tells the story of the difficult loves of insular Englishman Charles Ryder, and his peculiarly intense relationship with the wealthy but dysfunctional family that inhabited Brideshead. Taking place in the years before World War II, Brideshead Revisited shows us a part of upper-class English culture that has been disappearing steadily.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

Captain Charles Ryder, stationed at Brideshead, recalls his boyhood associations with the odd but charming members of an English noble family. The story of Charles Ryder and his involvement with an aristocratic Roman Catholic English family, the Marchmains.… (more)

Legacy Library: Evelyn Waugh

Evelyn Waugh has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Evelyn Waugh's legacy profile.

See Evelyn Waugh's author page.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182482, 0141187476, 0141045620, 0241951615, 0141193484

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,696,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible