An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (2006)

by John Green

Other authors: Daniel Bliss (Appendix)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (323)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  All (335)
DNF: stopped on page 45

To be fair, I tried. I really really did. I had such high hopes for this book. I had been wanting to read it and every other book by John Green since the DAY I read and finished The Fault In Our Stars because it blew me away.

But An Abundance of Katherines was about as much fun as scraping your nails across a chalkboard. From the start we are introduced to Colin who has just been dumped for the 19th time by the 19th Katherine. Not Katie. Not Kat. Not Kittie. Not Cathy, or Rynns or Trinas, or Kays or even Kate. Nope. just K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E.

That last bit annoyed you right? Well, that is page 15 for you. To make matters worse, from page one Colin is so freaking WHINY! I am talking, you will want to scream and rip your hair out. I have spent hours trying to find the perfect way to describe him and the ONLY word I can think is just plain PATHETIC! I literally could not stand it.

You know back in like 2006 when EVERYONE was a emo kid because it was THE THING to be? That is what he reminds me of. If you also remember, there was that HORRIBLE gosh awful song "I must be emo" ... that would be Colin's theme song. *cues up the hate and pitchforks* I know, I am a bad bad person for that, but... whatever, I guess.

If you think this book couldn't get worse, flip to chapter 2, page 8. *Enter Hassan*
If you think there is no possible way on earth to planet Pluto (yes, PLANET Pluto, if it was good enough to be a planet when I was growing up, it is good enough to be a planet now.) that nothing can be worse that Colin, you are dead wrong. You are dead now. Here is a rose. *tosses rose*

anyway, you know those old creepy guys who are always somehow covered in dirt from head to toe smelling of old alcohol and vomit even though they never seem to leave their front porch? That is how I really imagine Hassan as a grown-up.

The exact second he steps on scene, we see him for the disgusting pig he is, I really have no other words for him. it's like he's one of those steroid using high school jocks that scream "hay sexy! y u not dancin up on dis dick?!" ugh, You know the ones I mean, the ones that just make your skin crawl and leave you wondering how they manage to figure out how to BREATHE.

I could go on about the characters, but I choose to spare you.
The writing was exhausting. I felt like I was dragging my eyeballs across the page and I will not lie, I was dragging my eyes so much, I must have checked out a few times because I would have passed 5 pages and have not read a single word, but man, it sure felt like I did. And what the hell is the point of all the damn charts and footnotes? They weren't annoying, they were way way way beyond annoying. It was like I was reading a straight math book for shits and giggles. (pardon my french there)

So, yeah, not one I would recommend.

But, if you don't mind pathetic, annoying characters... This just might be for you.
If you don't mind reading a math book for FUN... This book might be for you.
If you don't mind blood pouring from your eyeballs... This book might be for you.
If you don't mind your brain turning into liquid ... This book might be for you.

Good luck. May the odds be every in your favor, live long and prosper and the force be with you. ( )
  FearStreetZombie | Jul 14, 2017 |
not his best, but still a fun and entertaining read, filled with lovable, quirky characters that give you very believable access into the minds of teenagers. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Who knew math could be so much fun!?

I love stories about friends going on road trips. Coming of age stories. Even if they don't go very far and get attacked by a pig along the way.

I don't think I could ever keep track of so many Katherines in my life. This boys memory is crazy.

It was a pretty funny adventure and I felt bad for Colin throughout 90% of the book. Poor guy. I was happy he got a happy ending. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Questions of identity and maturation on a summer adventure between high school and college. Gracefully written with both humor and pathos, even a bit of adventure. Even geniuses get stuck sometimes. this is a good book for high schoolers. ( )
  augustaspors | May 8, 2017 |
My least favorite of John Green's books. This book has a hard book for me to read. I like some of the one liners that John Green is so good at, but I was not a huge fan of the story itself. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Mar 25, 2017 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“But the pleasure isn’t owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you.” —Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically:
Treasure-sharing,
Heart-reassuring
Signature Sharer
Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down.
—pg. 3
But mothers lie. It’s in the job description.
—pg. 4
Crying adds something: crying is you, plus tears. But the feeling Colin had was some horrible opposite of crying. It was you, minus something.
—pg. 7
Prodigies can very quickly learn what other people have already figured out; geniuses discover that which no one has ever previously discovered. Prodigies learn; geniuses do.
—pg. 10
“Hassan Harbish. Sunni Muslim. Not a terrorist.”
“Lindsey Lee Wells. Methodist. Me, neither.”
—pg. 32

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,045,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible