Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Cutting for Stone (2009)

by Abraham Verghese

Recently added byKristinVan, KelseyJCrews, rena100, Eliz12, jMitty, Lokweesha, LizHD, private library, chiarain, drlesley
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (momofthreewi)
    momofthreewi: Both are rich in character development and centered around unique families.
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (JGoto)
    JGoto: Also about the ties & love/hate relationship between identical twins.
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (paulkid)
    paulkid: Physician-fathers, twins, poor decisions.
    The Cider House Rules by John Irving (GoST)
    GoST: Both books relate the eventful, coming-of-age stories of physicians and their struggle to learn their craft, complete with detailed descriptions of medical procedures.
    Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Iudita)
    The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (ddelmoni)
    ddelmoni: Exceptional characters and storyline, set in South Africa during WWII. Exceptional writing. If you liked Cutting for Stone you'll like The Power of One.
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (someproseandcons)
    someproseandcons: Both books are family and community sagas centered around secrets, and both books are carried by a strong and compelling voice.
    Chang and Eng: A Novel by Darin Strauss (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Cutting for Stone portrays the life of a pair of conjoined twins separated at birth; Eng and Chang is the fictional biography of the famous original Siamese twins, who remained joined at the sternum throughout their lives. Readers interested in conjoined twins may enjoy both novels.… (more)
    Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both novels have a medical focus and are set in Ethiopia. The main characters in each novel were orphaned at an early age and each spent their childhoods in a religious setting.
    The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (laytonwoman3rd)
    The House of Hope and Fear: Life in a Big City Hospital by Audrey Young (ainsleytewce)
    Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood by Nega Mezlekia (meggyweg)
    Beneath the Lion's Gaze by Maaza Mengiste (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: This was recently featured on NPR- go to thier website for an author interview.
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (Miranda_Paige)

English (375)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Basque (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (385)
Don't remember this book well since it has been awhile since I read it. I do remember being somewhat disappointed, as I didn't find it as compelling as the reviews seemed to indicate that I would. May try to read it again. ( )
  franklinki | Feb 2, 2015 |
I read this book because so many of my friends said they loved it. I felt it was slow to get into and I was wonndering why I felt like I was the only one who wasn't loving it. I stuck with it and got hooked! I ended up loving this book. ( )
  kremsa | Jan 27, 2015 |
A saga which is set for the majority of the book in Ethiopia. Although the story touches on the events there from the late 1950s through the 1990s, that is only the backdrop of the tale. This story focuses on a family, at the center of which are two boys, twins. Their mother died in childbirth, their father abandoned them, and yet they knew the love of a family through their adoptive parents and the hospital staff which surrounded them.

There are many elements which could be called depressing, sad, horrifying, and yet, the story feels hopeful, encouraging and warm. It has very graphic medical details, since most of the characters in it are doctors of one sort or another. I did not find this repulsive, but interesting since the author describes them so well for the layman. I loved the mindset of the doctor which is presented. What made the story so very gripping though, were the characters and the telling of the tale. I know these people, they are real. I could smell the smells, taste the food, see the details, hear the sounds and feel the dust, blood, fabrics and tears.

It has been a long time since I've lost myself in such a story, this was a magnificent one to do so. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 12, 2015 |
I had already read Abraham Verghese's autobiography "My Own Country" and really enjoyed his writing. This story of twins in Ethiopia of Indian descent is rich in detail that can only have been provided from the author's life. Betrayal, an escape from Ethiopia, medical life in the US, finding a father, the connection between twins. All these things are beautifully told and rich with characters. ( )
  devilish2 | Jan 9, 2015 |
I loved this book from the very first page. I defy anyone not to be immedietly intrigued by the idea of a nun in the process of giving birth to identical twins, with one of those twins narrating the story. The book is written by a doctor and has a medical slant. Being medical myself I enjoyed this. It is set initialy in Ethiopia and later in the USA. The description of both people and places is enlightening. It is a rollicking good story with great human insight.
I am now determined to hunt out the authors other books.
I would recommend this highly ( )
  fross | Jan 8, 2015 |

Abraham Vergheseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bull, R.Map artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hellier, GavinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, VirginiaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And because I love this life
I know I shall love death as well
The child cries out when
From the right breast the mother
Takes it away, in the very next moment
To find in the left one
Its consolation.
-- Rabindranath Tagore,
from Gitanjuli
For George and Mariam Verghese Scribere jussit amor
Prologue: After eight months spent in the obscurity of our mother's womb, my brother Shiva, and I came into the world in the late afternoon of the twentieth of September in the year of grace 1954.
Chapter 1: Sister Mary Joseph Praise had come to Missing Hospital from India, seven years before our birth.

Twin brothers Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, sharing a deep bond that has helped them survive the loss of their parents and the country's political upheaval, but when they both fall for the same woman, their bond is broken and the two go their separate ways, until a medical crisis reunites them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375714367, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: John Irving Reviews Cutting for Stone

John Irving has been nominated for a National Book Award three times--winning once, in 1980, for the novel The World According to Garp. In 1992, Irving was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In 2000, he won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Cider House Rules--a film with seven Academy Award nominations. Read his exclusive Amazon guest review of Cutting for Stone:

That Abraham Verghese is a doctor and a writer is already established; the miracle of this novel is how organically the two are entwined. I’ve not read a novel wherein medicine, the practice of it, is made as germane to the storytelling process, to the overall narrative, as the author manages to make it happen here. The medical detail is stunning, but it never overwhelms the humane and narrative aspects of this moving and ambitious novel. This is a first-person narration where the first-person voice appears to disappear, but never entirely; only in the beginning are we aware that the voice addressing us is speaking from the womb! And what terrific characters--even the most minor players are given a full history. There is also a sense of great foreboding; by the midpoint of the story, one dreads what will further befall these characters. The foreshadowing is present in the chapter titles, too--‘The School of Suffering’ not least among them! Cutting for Stone is a remarkable achievement.--John Irving

(Photo © Maki Galimberti)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:16 -0400)

Twin brothers born from a secret love affair between an Indian nun and a British surgeon in Addis Ababa, Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, where their love for the same woman drives them apart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,191,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible