Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Cutting for Stone (2009)

by Abraham Verghese

Recently added byjules46, MEGibb, rena75, laswan, mcountr, r1ck, DianeNY
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (momofthreewi)
    momofthreewi: Both are rich in character development and centered around unique families.
    The Cider House Rules by John Irving (GoST)
    GoST: Both books relate the eventful, coming-of-age stories of physicians and their struggle to learn their craft, complete with detailed descriptions of medical procedures.
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (JGoto)
    JGoto: Also about the ties & love/hate relationship between identical twins.
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (paulkid)
    paulkid: Physician-fathers, twins, poor decisions.
    Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Middlesex: A Novel by Jeffrey Eugenides (someproseandcons)
    someproseandcons: Both books are family and community sagas centered around secrets, and both books are carried by a strong and compelling voice.
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Iudita)
    The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (ddelmoni)
    ddelmoni: Exceptional characters and storyline, set in South Africa during WWII. Exceptional writing. If you liked Cutting for Stone you'll like The Power of One.
    The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (laytonwoman3rd)
    Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both novels have a medical focus and are set in Ethiopia. The main characters in each novel were orphaned at an early age and each spent their childhoods in a religious setting.
    The Citadel by A. J. Cronin (ainsleytewce)
    State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (sturlington)
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (sturlington)
    The House of Hope and Fear: Life in a Big City Hospital by Audrey Young (ainsleytewce)
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (Miranda_Paige)
    Beneath the Lion's Gaze by Maaza Mengiste (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: This was recently featured on NPR- go to thier website for an author interview.
    Chang and Eng: A Novel by Darin Strauss (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Cutting for Stone portrays the life of a pair of conjoined twins separated at birth; Eng and Chang is the fictional biography of the famous original Siamese twins, who remained joined at the sternum throughout their lives. Readers interested in conjoined twins may enjoy both novels.… (more)
    Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood by Nega Mezlekia (meggyweg)

English (465)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (474)
What an incredible read! I loved it--the story and the writing, the historical setting, the characters (well, of course I couldn't stand Genet ^^; and Shiva seemed rather flat, but how wonderful were Hema and Ghosh!)... I particularly loved how the sweeping story showed how interlinked we are: how each individual's decisions and actions have an at-times profound effect on those around us, even if one is not around to witness it.

I admit that I tended to skim through the medical/surgical details, but loved to sense how much the author, a medical doctor himself, loves medicine.

The setting of focusing on Indian healthcare workers in Addis Ababa was utterly fascinating, and I appreciated and (to an extent) empathized what it was like for Marion to grow up entirely in one country but where he was forever seen as a foreigner. I also enjoyed having settled as a reader into the simple life of Addis Ababa and then experiencing the bewilderment of seeing NYC for the first time.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the ending, but it did bring about a tidy closure to this expansive tale. ( )
  emanate28 | May 26, 2019 |
too graphic for even my stomach while reading, which is saying allot, since books like "As Meat Loves Salt " did not bother me. but just too much by page 25 and the desicated cockroach in the first aid kit. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
I just finished this incredible book - all 658 pages of it - and I have the half-empty box of Kleenex, the puffy eyes, and the wonderful feeling of closure that comes from finishing a good and complete story to prove it. Dr. Verghese wrote a beautiful, heartbreaking, and deeply moving tale that is so very worth investing the time to read. From beginning to end, I was in constant awe with the complexity of the storyline and the lengths Verghese went to draw me into this world of Cutting for Stone and its multitude of characters and captivating scenes. ( )
  hejmarguerite | Mar 12, 2019 |
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Lots to think about in this book: betrayal and forgiveness, lives broken and missing what would make them whole, repair of those things, being one's brother's keeper--all set mainly in Ethiopia against a backdrop of medicine and revolution with some Indian, British, and US influences thrown in.

I have a feeling I'll be thinking about this book for a long time. It reminds me in some ways of The Kite Runner.

(A few of you may want a heads-up that there are some graphic scenes) ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |

Abraham Vergheseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bull, R.Map artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hellier, GavinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, VirginiaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And because I love this life
I know I shall love death as well
The child cries out when
From the right breast the mother
Takes it away, in the very next moment
To find in the left one
Its consolation.
-- Rabindranath Tagore,
from Gitanjuli
For George and Mariam Verghese Scribere jussit amor
Prologue: After eight months spent in the obscurity of our mother's womb, my brother Shiva, and I came into the world in the late afternoon of the twentieth of September in the year of grace 1954.
Chapter 1: Sister Mary Joseph Praise had come to Missing Hospital from India, seven years before our birth.

Twin brothers Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, sharing a deep bond that has helped them survive the loss of their parents and the country's political upheaval, but when they both fall for the same woman, their bond is broken and the two go their separate ways, until a medical crisis reunites them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375714367, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: John Irving Reviews Cutting for Stone

John Irving has been nominated for a National Book Award three times--winning once, in 1980, for the novel The World According to Garp. In 1992, Irving was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In 2000, he won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Cider House Rules--a film with seven Academy Award nominations. Read his exclusive Amazon guest review of Cutting for Stone:

That Abraham Verghese is a doctor and a writer is already established; the miracle of this novel is how organically the two are entwined. I’ve not read a novel wherein medicine, the practice of it, is made as germane to the storytelling process, to the overall narrative, as the author manages to make it happen here. The medical detail is stunning, but it never overwhelms the humane and narrative aspects of this moving and ambitious novel. This is a first-person narration where the first-person voice appears to disappear, but never entirely; only in the beginning are we aware that the voice addressing us is speaking from the womb! And what terrific characters--even the most minor players are given a full history. There is also a sense of great foreboding; by the midpoint of the story, one dreads what will further befall these characters. The foreshadowing is present in the chapter titles, too--‘The School of Suffering’ not least among them! Cutting for Stone is a remarkable achievement.--John Irving

(Photo © Maki Galimberti)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Twin brothers born from a secret love affair between an Indian nun and a British surgeon in Addis Ababa, Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, where their love for the same woman drives them apart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,758,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible