Down These Strange Streets

by George R. R. Martin (Editor), Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: Patricia Briggs (Contributor), Glen Cook (Contributor), Bradley Denton (Contributor), Diana Gabaldon (Contributor), Simon R. Green (Contributor)12 more, M. L. N. Hanover (Contributor), Charlaine Harris (Contributor), Conn Iggulden (Contributor), Laurie R. King (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor), George R. R. Martin (Introduction), John Maddox Roberts (Contributor), Steven Saylor (Contributor), Melinda M. Snodgrass (Contributor), S.M. Stirling (Contributor), Lisa Tuttle (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor)

Series: Kitty Norville (It's Still the Same Old Story, 6.75), World of the Marrok (In Red, With Pearls, 15)

5071949,291 (3.58)12
A collection of seventeen short urban fantasy stories by various authors featuring vampires, werewolves, witches, zombies, and other creatures of the night.

I got this for the Lord John story, but a lot of the stories in this collection were really good. I either listened to or read all of them, so here’s the rundown:

“The Bastard Stepchild”
Interesting introductory essay by George RR Martin-worth the read.

“Death by Dahlia”
Not Charlaine Harris’s best, though I’ve never been particularly impressed with her short stories. I like the novels more. The reader for this story was annoying too.

“The Bleeding Shadow”
Joe R Lansdale’s version of a crossroads deal was pretty good. I liked this one-it was deliciously creepy.

“Hungry Heart”
My first experience with Simon R Green. Nothing super special but enough to interest me in his Nightside series.

“Styx and Stones”
Steven Saylor’s mystery set in ancient Rome was all set-up with a Scooby Doo ending. I was bored and annoyed by this one.

“Pain and Suffering”
S.M. Stirling’s writing was good, but his detective story felt more like a segment of a book, rather than a short story.

“It’s Still the Same old Story”
It was fun for a while to read about Rick the vampire, from Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series, but the ending was a disappointment.

“The Lady is a Screamer”
Loved Conn Iggulden’s story of a con man spiritualist turned believer. This was one of my favorites.

“Hellbender”
Laurie R King’s super weird offering was like nothing I’ve ever read by her and quite good.

“Shadow Thieves”
It could have been the reader, but Glen Cook’s story from his Garret P.I. world wasn’t my favorite, although I was interested in the characters enough to pick up one of the novels sometime.

“No Mystery, No Miracle”
One of the better stories in the collection, a detective story with a scifi twist on religion, was by former Next Generation writer, Melinda Snodgrass.

“The Difference Between a Puzzle and a Mystery”
Nice and twisty, I loved MLN Hanover’s (aka, Daniel Abraham, one of my favorites) devilish detective story.

“The Curious Affair of the Deodand”
Lisa Tuttle’s old-fashioned detective story that borrowed from the Sherlock Holmes tradition had just the right tone. I snuggled right in.

“Lord John and the Plague of Zombies”
Hey, I said this is why I got the collection in the first place. Love Gabaldon. Love Lord John.

“Beware the Snake”
Hated it. Hated. Another mystery set in ancient Rome, I was bored and I despised John Maddox Roberts’s characters.

“In Red, with Pearls”
Patricia Briggs is another beloved author, and this story featuring Warren as a P.I was a keeper.

“The Adakian Eagle”
Bradley Denton’s novella, with an author you might recognize as one of the characters, was probably the best of the bunch. I’ve already ordered another collection of his stories.
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
The top grouping of what I liked from here:

It's Still the Same Old Story - Carrie Vaughn
The Lady is a Screamer - Conn Iggulden
Hellbender - Laurie R. King
In Red, with Pearls - Patricia Briggs

Secondary grouping:

The Difference Between a Puzzle and a Mystery - M.L.N. Hanover
The Curious Affair of the Deodand - Lisa Tuttle
Death by Dahlia - Charlaine Harris ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
Overall an enjoyable collection of stories that mix urban fantasy with detective mysteries. In some cases, having read other books in the series the story is an offshoot from would definitely help. A couple of them are difficult to get orientated in without that reading. But I did enjoy the collection, and there are some great authors who contributed. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Feb 12, 2022 |
Average with some good ones, King, Stirling mixed in. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 9, 2019 |
The best mixed author collection I’ve read in some time. Being able to bring good, well known authors in helps a great deal. ( )
  quondame | Dec 31, 2017 |

Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worrell, LesleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zbiorowa, PracaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To our friend Jack Dann

who has walked down some pretty strange

streets himself
There's a new kid on the shelves in bookstores these days.  (Introduction)

In this all-new collection of urban fantasy stories, editors George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois explore the places where mystery waits at the end of every alley and where the things that go bump in the night have something to fear...

CONTENTS:
[Those stories known to be part of a series have that noted in brackets. A separate record has been created for them, so that they can be listed in their series, and their title in the table of contents is a link to that record. If the story is already known to be in an author anthology listed in the series, no link is created, e.g., "Styx and Stones" is in The Seven Wonders]

The Bastard Stepchild (an introduction by George R. R. Martin)
Death by Dahlia by Charlaine Harris [Southern Vampire Mysteries ]
Beware the Snake by John Maddox Roberts[SPQR]
In Red, with Pearls by Patricia Briggs [World of the Marrok]
The Adakian Eagle by Bradley Denton

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,662,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible