The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

The Bone Clocks (2014)

by David Mitchell

Series: Horologists (2)

3,1242082,579 (3.83)1 / 379
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (jody)
    jody: Has that same clever connectivity that makes mitchells books so intriguing.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Bone Clocks reminded me strongly of Neil Gaiman and David Mitchell has said that Gaiman was an influence.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Similar tone. Fantasy.
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (suniru)
    TransAtlantic by Colum McCann (zhejw)
    zhejw: Both books explore human connections made across multiple generations and across oceans while ultimately concluding in Ireland.
    The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber (hairball)
    hairball: The world falls apart...
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (MsMaryAnn)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (shurikt)
    shurikt: Fascinating character studies, and just enough (possibly) supernatural activity to bend genre.
    The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas (jonathankws)
    California by Edan Lepucki (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Similar plot points.

English (214)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (217)
I read and struggled through this very long book. After all that, I'm not sure how I feel. Confused, I think. I'm not sure if the fantasy elements meant a whole lot, in the grand scheme and the ending was a "what??". It was on my to read pile and I d if it-hooray. On to the next! ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
David. We need to have a talk about unreliable vs. unredeemable narrators. Love, Kept Reading Your Books for More Than a Decade After First Chapter in Ghostwritten But Chewed Sellotape to Get Through Hugo Lamb's POV Sections.
  Nialle | Jul 21, 2018 |
Weird mix of a bit of fantasy with vignettes of a single person life from adolescence to old age, starting in the recent past all the way to a near term future. Each portion is well written, but it takes a long time before the whole thing makes sense when we finally learn what is really going on. ( )
  Guide2 | Jun 18, 2018 |
I just did not get it. Maybe it's just me. The first story was hard enough to follow with the weird science fiction inserts. When the next story started I was so lost, and unfortunately didn't care enough at that point to try and figure it out. I gave up. Not something I'm keen on doing, but there are many books to read and not enough time to read them all. I'm out on this one. ( )
  Nemorn | Jun 4, 2018 |
The first half of the book was engaging and well-written, but as I read further my interest waned. David Mitchell's forays into fantasy and magic in the second half bored me, as did the dystopian final section. (I grow weary of the dystopian trend in modern novels.) Ultimately it was not my cuppa, but if you have a higher tolerance for the mystical and the apocalyptic, you might enjoy it much more than I did. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Mitchell's plotting is as intricate as ever, and he indulges in many familiar tricks. Themes, characters and images recur in different configurations, as in a complex musical work; characters from earlier Mitchell books make guest appearances; there are sly references to Mitchell's literary reputation, as well as to the works of other writers....

Mitchell is a writer who will always do his own thing, and the question to ask about his work isn't how profound it is, or what category it belongs to, but how much fun it is to read. And on that measure, The Bone Clocks scores highly.

In fact, Holly’s emergence from “The Bone Clocks” as the most memorable and affecting character Mr. Mitchell has yet created is a testament to his skills as an old-fashioned realist, which lurk beneath the razzle-dazzle postmodern surface of his fiction, and which, in this case, manage to transcend the supernatural nonsense in this arresting but bloated novel.

Another exacting, challenging and deeply rewarding novel from logophile and time-travel master Mitchell
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Jul 1, 2014)

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oldenburg, VolkerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Noah
I fling open my bedroom curtains, and there's the thirsty sky and the wide river full of ships and boats and stuff, but I'm already thinking of Vinny's chocolaty eyes, shampoo down Vinny's back, beads of sweat on Vinny's shoulders, and Vinny's sly laugh, and by now my heart's going mental and, God, I wish I was waking up in Vinny's place in Peacock Street and not in my own stupid bedroom.
The fantasy subplot clashes so violently with the State of the World pretensions, I cannot bear to look.
What surer sign is there that the creative aquifers are dry than a writer creating a writer character?
My hero is a Cambridge student called Richard Cheeseman, working on a novel about a Cambridge student called Richard Cheeseman, working on a novel about a Cambridge student called Richard Cheeseman. No one’s ever tried anything like it.
Following a scalding row with her mother, fifteen-year-old Holly Sykes slams the door on her old life. But Holly is no typical teenage runaway: a sensitive child once contacted by voices she knew only as “the radio people,” Holly is a lightning rod for psychic phenomena. Now, as she wanders deeper into the English countryside, visions and coincidences reorder her reality until they assume the aura of a nightmare brought to life.

For Holly has caught the attention of a cabal of dangerous mystics—and their enemies. But her lost weekend is merely the prelude to a shocking disappearance that leaves her family irrevocably scarred. This unsolved mystery will echo through every decade of Holly’s life, affecting all the people Holly loves—even the ones who are not yet born.

A Cambridge scholarship boy grooming himself for wealth and influence, a conflicted father who feels alive only while reporting from occupied Iraq, a middle-aged writer mourning his exile from the bestseller list—all have a part to play in this surreal, invisible war on the margins of our world. From the medieval Swiss Alps to the nineteenth-century Australian bush, from a hotel in Shanghai to a Manhattan townhouse in the near future, their stories come together in moments of everyday grace and extraordinary wonder.

"A vast, intricate novel that weaves six narratives and spans from 1984 to the 2030s about a secret war between a cult of soul-decanters and a small group of vigilantes called the Night Shift who try to take them down. An up-all-night story that fluently mixes the super-natural, sci-fi, horror, social satire, and hearbreaking realism"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David Mitchell's book The Bone Clocks was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,511,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible