The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

The Bone Clocks (2014)

by David Mitchell

2,6311892,272 (3.83)1 / 339
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (jody)
    jody: Has that same clever connectivity that makes mitchells books so intriguing.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Bone Clocks reminded me strongly of Neil Gaiman and David Mitchell has said that Gaiman was an influence.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Similar tone. Fantasy.
    TransAtlantic by Colum McCann (zhejw)
    zhejw: Both books explore human connections made across multiple generations and across oceans while ultimately concluding in Ireland.
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (suniru)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (MsMaryAnn)
    The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (shurikt)
    shurikt: Fascinating character studies, and just enough (possibly) supernatural activity to bend genre.
    California by Edan Lepucki (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas (jonathankws)
    The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber (hairball)
    hairball: The world falls apart...
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Similar plot points.

English (189)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All (193)
'The Bone Clocks' was definitely not what I expected, and yet it met every one of my expectations.

'How can that be?' you might ask.

Well, I had read David Mitchell's most famous book some months ago because a friend of mine had watched the movie and thought that it might interest me. Honestly, even though I admired its craft, I never really enjoyed it. By the time I was getting sucked into the story, it jumped right into another one and I never really got the resolution of any of them. Also, I hated the apocalypse storyline.

But this one. Oh, this one! This one was different. Even though it followed a similar structure and it played around with its characters I was always enthralled by each and every one of them.

I loved Holly Sykes and her family, Marinus and the Horologists, I was even interested in Hugo Lamb.

There is so much to this book, and yes, there is some fantasy in it, but it is wonderful. Same with the prose, the plot, the characters, this is one of those books that I would definitely gift to everyone I know. ( )
  anagabymtz08 | Jun 25, 2017 |
it got very weird in the middle, but rugged itself in the end. ( )
  shadowdancer | Jun 22, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this book.

I heard about it on NPR, and the supernatural elements seemed interesting, and I thought that would be a larger part of the story, at least in the background. It took more than 2/3 of the book to even *get* to that part, and it was not what I expected, or anything like I had hoped, it was frightfully disappointing. But *that* part would have been ok, other parts of the story were interesting, and could have gone somewhere.

I don't want to spoil it for those who want to read it, so I won't, however, overall, I liked it, but I felt large portions could have been cut out for this type of story, and the ending could have been better. About 250 pages too long, and a lot of them are from the middle. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jun 17, 2017 |
Not as enjoyable as Cloud Atlas, despite a similar structure. might go back and re-read when I have big chunks of reading time available, because ther was so much more in this book than I had time for. ( )
  celerydog | May 22, 2017 |
First story was great. I really wish he built his 500 page novel on it. But second story was dragging. I see from the reviews that it is not going to get any better in the future stories.. So adios at this point. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
Mitchell's plotting is as intricate as ever, and he indulges in many familiar tricks. Themes, characters and images recur in different configurations, as in a complex musical work; characters from earlier Mitchell books make guest appearances; there are sly references to Mitchell's literary reputation, as well as to the works of other writers....

Mitchell is a writer who will always do his own thing, and the question to ask about his work isn't how profound it is, or what category it belongs to, but how much fun it is to read. And on that measure, The Bone Clocks scores highly.

In fact, Holly’s emergence from “The Bone Clocks” as the most memorable and affecting character Mr. Mitchell has yet created is a testament to his skills as an old-fashioned realist, which lurk beneath the razzle-dazzle postmodern surface of his fiction, and which, in this case, manage to transcend the supernatural nonsense in this arresting but bloated novel.

Another exacting, challenging and deeply rewarding novel from logophile and time-travel master Mitchell
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Jul 1, 2014)

For Noah
I fling open my bedroom curtains, and there's the thirsty sky and the wide river full of ships and boats and stuff, but I'm already thinking of Vinny's chocolaty eyes, shampoo down Vinny's back, beads of sweat on Vinny's shoulders, and Vinny's sly laugh, and by now my heart's going mental and, God, I wish I was waking up in Vinny's place in Peacock Street and not in my own stupid bedroom.
The fantasy subplot clashes so violently with the State of the World pretensions, I cannot bear to look.
What surer sign is there that the creative aquifers are dry than a writer creating a writer character?
My hero is a Cambridge student called Richard Cheeseman, working on a novel about a Cambridge student called Richard Cheeseman, working on a novel about a Cambridge student called Richard Cheeseman. No one’s ever tried anything like it.
Following a scalding row with her mother, fifteen-year-old Holly Sykes slams the door on her old life. But Holly is no typical teenage runaway: a sensitive child once contacted by voices she knew only as “the radio people,” Holly is a lightning rod for psychic phenomena. Now, as she wanders deeper into the English countryside, visions and coincidences reorder her reality until they assume the aura of a nightmare brought to life.

For Holly has caught the attention of a cabal of dangerous mystics—and their enemies. But her lost weekend is merely the prelude to a shocking disappearance that leaves her family irrevocably scarred. This unsolved mystery will echo through every decade of Holly’s life, affecting all the people Holly loves—even the ones who are not yet born.

A Cambridge scholarship boy grooming himself for wealth and influence, a conflicted father who feels alive only while reporting from occupied Iraq, a middle-aged writer mourning his exile from the bestseller list—all have a part to play in this surreal, invisible war on the margins of our world. From the medieval Swiss Alps to the nineteenth-century Australian bush, from a hotel in Shanghai to a Manhattan townhouse in the near future, their stories come together in moments of everyday grace and extraordinary wonder.

"A vast, intricate novel that weaves six narratives and spans from 1984 to the 2030s about a secret war between a cult of soul-decanters and a small group of vigilantes called the Night Shift who try to take them down. An up-all-night story that fluentlymixes the super-natural, sci-fi, horror, social satire, and hearbreaking realism"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David Mitchell's book The Bone Clocks was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,225,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible