The Postman by David Brin

The Postman

by David Brin

3,356702,295 (3.72)1 / 179
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: Not a similar plot, but a classic book about a post-apocalyptic civilization.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (redroc)
    Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling (MikeBriggs)
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Although the language is very different the themes are similar
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Postman was influenced by Alas, Babylon.

English (68)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (70)
Reseña y opinión de El Cartero aquí. ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
It took about 80 pages before I really started to get into this novel, but once I did I became more and more invested the further I got. It reminded me very much of a cross-country Jericho, or Y: The Last Man — both of which are somewhat obscure comparisons and possibly not very helpful*, but what they all have in common is how they take a possible post-apocalyptic scenario and examine how this might realistically affect people, in the big, obvious ways and the myriad of small ways you wouldn't immediately think of. It's quite possible both of those works were actually influenced by The Postman.

This is a very well-crafted book. The big arcs are, in a way, predictable — I saw most of the end results coming from the first pages. But I found I didn't mind at all, as I was simply curious how it would get from one end to the other, and that was always quite interesting and unpredictable. The gender politics that emerged especially in the latter half of the book were a surprise, and I'm still not quite sure if it was a pleasant one. They were strange and I don't know how I feel about them except that I think they might be slightly problematic due to the way they put women on a pedestal (i.e., no, women are just as fallible as men). But I give it a bit of a pass for having been written in 1985. Additionally, the main character's guilt complex could get a little tiring and probably didn't need to be quite so anvilicious, but it was necessary to the story.

Wasn't too crazy about the ending, but the journey was bound to be much more interesting anyway.

* highly recommended, however! ( )
  Jeeps | Jul 26, 2018 |
To begin, I am not really a fan of dystopian novels. The whole "world calamity thing ending technology" is a concept I have trouble visualizing. I just don't believe such a thing would occur, no matter what. Saying that, why am I giving this novel five stars? Simple. The writing. Not only does the author do an excellent job on his world building, but his endeavor to have the reader emote with the main character, Gordon Krantz, is second to none. The roller coaster of emotions with the never ending internal questions haunting Gordon make for a riveting read. If you want to immerse yourself in a character and the paths he must lead, this is a book well worth reading. ( )
  MichaelDrakich | Jul 16, 2018 |
Interesting idea: a man in a post-apocalyptic society feels the need to still deliver the mail. ( )
  LaurelPoe | Dec 25, 2017 |
There's something fascinating about imagining what the world would be like after a cataclysmic event. Brin's vision is quite a compelling one - the gradual breakdown of law and order and the rise of alternative societies, some co-operative, others dictatorial. I love the idea of the mail (and through it, the written word) as a rallying point for civilisation. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
The great virtue of "The Postman" by David Brin is that it takes nothing for granted...Mr. Brin offers no simplistic formulas; nothing comes easy for the postman or the people he tries to help... Still, I found myself wishing that the ''war for men's minds'' in this book had a convincing personal as well as a sociological dimension. I am afraid that it would take a more complex character than his likable but limited postman to do justice to the important issues Mr. Brin raises.

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hallman, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Benjamin Franklin,
devious genius,
and to Lysistrata,
who tried
In dust and blood - with the sharp tang of terror stark in his nostrils - a man's mind wil sometimes pull forth odd relevancies.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278746, Mass Market Paperback)

Gordon Krantz survived the Doomwar only to spend years crossing a post-apocalypse United States looking for something or someone he could believe in again. Ironically, when he's inadvertently forced to assume the made-up role of a "Restored United States" postal inspector, he becomes the very thing he's been seeking: a symbol of hope and rebirth for a desperate nation. Gordon goes through the motions of establishing a new postal route in the Pacific Northwest, uniting secluded towns and enclaves that are starved for communication with the rest of the world. And even though inside he feels like a fraud, eventually he will have to stand up for the new society he's helping to build or see it destroyed by fanatic survivalists. This classic reprint is not one of David Brin's best books, but the moving story he presents overcomes mediocre writing and contrived plots.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

In the aftermath of a war that has devastated the nation, a traveling storyteller borrows the jacket of a long-dead postal worker and is transformed unwittingly into a symbol of hope for America's future.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,807,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible