The God of Small Things (1997)

by Arundhati Roy

The story of an Indian family during the 1969 Communist disturbances in Kerala province. It is told through the eyes of a boy and his sister who are the children of a rich rubber planter. Politics, family drama, illicit love. A debut in fiction.
Recently added bynboy, Sarvesh76, omar.cominelli, nadinefathers, Smartie27, Aivileus, Arena800, private library
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent
Asia (31)
1990s (168)

English (293)  Spanish (8)  German (6)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Italian (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (328)
This was ....not my jam. The plot was a hot mess and told in a very disjointed manner. ( )
  kritieeee | Jun 16, 2022 |
A chore but persisted. The last 1/3rd was better but didn't grab me. The story of different generations of an Indian family, the cast system and life. ( )
  SteveMcI | Mar 19, 2022 |
This is difficult book to read, because of its kaleidoscopic composition, the poetic writing style, and the tragedies that happen. I read it twenty years ago, but I now wonder how much I took in at the time. I did not remember the story at all.
This time around I liked the foreshadowing technique, the symbolism and the different points of view. ( )
  Marietje.Halbertsma | Jan 9, 2022 |
The very distancing character-hopping 3rd person narration, timeline incoherence, and lack of any character development in favor of just stating things that happened (supposedly for some theme or other) are not for me. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
Quite interesting and gets pretty sexy ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
If Ms. Roy is sometimes overzealous in foreshadowing her characters' fate, resorting on occasion to darkly portentous clues, she proves remarkably adept at infusing her story with the inexorable momentum of tragedy. She writes near the beginning of the novel that in India, personal despair ''could never be desperate enough,'' that ''it was never important enough'' because ''worse things had happened'' and ''kept happening.'' Yet as rendered in this remarkable novel, the ''relative smallness'' of her characters' misfortunes remains both heartbreaking and indelible.

Roy, ArundhatiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demanuelli, ClaudeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grube, AnetteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonkheer, ChristienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundborg, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Never again will a single story be told as though it's the only one.

John Berger
For Mary Roy, who grew me up. Who taught me to say "excuse me" before interrupting her in Public. Who loved me enough to let me go.

For LKC, who, like me, survived.
May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
Maj je v Ajemenemu vroč, morast mesec.
"D'you know what happens when you hurt people? When you hurt people, they begin to love you less. That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less."
"Just ignore her," Ammu said. "She's just trying to attract attention."

Ammu too was wrong. Rahel was trying to not attract the attention that she deserved.
Rahel looked around her and saw that she was in a Play. But she had only a small part.
She was just the landscape. A flower perhaps. Or a tree.
A face in the crowd. A Townspeople.
Heaven opened and the water hammered down, reviving the reluctant old well, greenmossing the pigless pigsty, carpet bombing still, tea-coloured puddles the way memory bombs still, tea-coloured minds.
Rahel drifted into marriage like a passenger drifts towards an unoccupied chair in an airport lounge. With a Sitting Down sense.
Problème de CK
1997 (1e édition originale)
1998-04-23 (1e traduction et édition française, Du monde entier, Gallimard)
2000-01-20 (Réédition française, Folio, Gallimard)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,531,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible