The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

The God of Small Things (1997)

by Arundhati Roy

English (255)  Spanish (7)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  Italian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (288)
Jumped around too much and was hard to follow. ( )
  sandra.pinkerton83 | Apr 16, 2019 |
cannot connect with characters ( )
  kakadoo202 | Apr 2, 2019 |
I hate to admit to the fact that I found this rather highly rated book to be rather disappointing.

I am considering rereading it to see whether my perspective on this book, as on so many other things in the past ten years, has changed.
Read, Write, Dream, Teach !

ShiraDest
19 February, 12016 HE
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
It took me forever to read this book. I think having a baby and a toddler had something to do with that, but also I think this book was way to heavy for where my head is these days. I'm not confident in my three star review. Is it actually a three star book or have I lost my ability to recognize a good book when I read one? ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Este libro me dejó muy confundido. Además del contenido (que, ciertamente, es suficiente para tenerte en shock) ciertos capítulos me parecieron geniales y otros parecían pura paja. En ocasiones quería que no se acabara, en otras me hartaba, y en otras ni siquiera sabía qué estaba pasando. Sin embargo, la historia que cuenta Arundhati Roy es apasionante y su prosa, a pesar de perder bastante de su peso en la traducción, es muy bella (aunque a veces llegue a parecer repetitiva). Leer a Roy es una experiencia que no se encuentra muy seguido en la literatura. Es una experiencia cruel, muy cruel, pero muy bella también. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
If Ms. Roy is sometimes overzealous in foreshadowing her characters' fate, resorting on occasion to darkly portentous clues, she proves remarkably adept at infusing her story with the inexorable momentum of tragedy. She writes near the beginning of the novel that in India, personal despair ''could never be desperate enough,'' that ''it was never important enough'' because ''worse things had happened'' and ''kept happening.'' Yet as rendered in this remarkable novel, the ''relative smallness'' of her characters' misfortunes remains both heartbreaking and indelible.

Roy, Arundhatiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jonkheer, ChristienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundborg, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Never again will a single story be told as though it's the only one.

John Berger
For Mary Roy, who grew me up. Who taught me to say "excuse me" before interrupting her in Public. Who loved me enough to let me go. For LKC, who, like me, survived.
May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
Maj je v Ajemenemu vroč, morast mesec.
"D'you know what happens when you hurt people? When you hurt people, they begin to love you less. That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less."
"Just ignore her," Ammu said. "She's just trying to attract attention."

Ammu too was wrong. Rahel was trying to not attract the attention that she deserved.
Rahel looked around her and saw that she was in a Play. But she had only a small part.
She was just the landscape. A flower perhaps. Or a tree.
A face in the crowd. A Townspeople.
Heaven opened and the water hammered down, reviving the reluctant old well, greenmossing the pigless pigsty, carpet bombing still, tea-coloured puddles the way memory bombs still, tea-coloured minds.
Rahel drifted into marriage like a passenger drifts towards an unoccupied chair in an airport lounge. With a Sitting Down sense.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060977493, Paperback)

In her first novel, award-winning Indian screenwriter Arundhati Roy conjures a whoosh of wordplay that rises from the pages like a brilliant jazz improvisation. The God of Small Things is nominally the story of young twins Rahel and Estha and the rest of their family, but the book feels like a million stories spinning out indefinitely; it is the product of a genius child-mind that takes everything in and transforms it in an alchemy of poetry. The God of Small Things is at once exotic and familiar to the Western reader, written in an English that's completely new and invigorated by the Asian Indian influences of culture and language.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:37 -0400)

The story of an Indian family during the 1969 Communist disturbances in Kerala province. It is told through the eyes of a boy and his sister who are the children of a rich rubber planter. Politics, family drama, illicit love. A debut in fiction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,093,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible