The Sound and the Fury (1929)

by William Faulkner

15,705212286 (3.95)2 / 765
The Sound and the Fury is the tragedy of the Compson family, featuring some of the most memorable characters in literature: beautiful, rebellious Caddy; the manchild Benjy; haunted, neurotic Quentin; Jason, the brutal cynic; and Dilsey, their black servant. Their lives fragmented and harrowed by history and legacy, the character's voices and actions mesh to create what is arguably Faulkner's masterpiece and  one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century. "I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire. . . . I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools." --from The Sound and the Fury… (more)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Beloved by Toni Morrison (Laura1124)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: A sci-fi romp through--intentionally so--much of the same territory.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (AdonisGuilfoyle)
    AdonisGuilfoyle: The similarities are not obvious, but both stories contain the gothic destruction of two families. That, and there are two Quentins in Faulkner's novel to match the confusion of Cathys in 'Wuthering Heights', and Jason Compson is almost as cruel and twisted as Heathcliff. Enjoy!… (more)
1920s (16)
My TBR (8)
Romans (33)

English (192)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (212)
When I first started reading this book I had no idea what was going on. It was frustrating and kind of dizzying, but I'm really glad that I continued to read it. After I finally figured out what was going on I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt a kind of satisfaction at figuring out what was going on. I truly loved reading this book and realised why it is considered a classic. I know this isn't so much of a telling review, but this is really my strongest impression, and I do not a plot summary of any kind will do this justice as the storytelling and prose really made this novel a fascinating read for me. The prose and the storytelling were extraordinary and unlike anything I had read before. The story was very compelling and heartbreaking and the storytelling in the first part of the book allowed you to really understand one of the main characters, Benjy. I strongly recommend reading this book and look forward to reading other works by Faulkner. ( )
  BurrowK | Jul 31, 2022 |
9788420468129
  archivomorero | Jun 28, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |
Nope. Gave up. Sorry, Cormac McCarthy. Count me among the legions who have no patience for this self-indulgent pomposity. ( )
  MarkHarden | Jun 23, 2022 |
Escribir este libro foi para min como aprender a ler, coma se me achegase á linguaxe, ás palabras, co mesmo respecto e coidado de quen se achega á dinamita". Así describe William Faulkner (New Albany, 1897-Oxford, 1962) a súa experiencia con O ruído e a furia, a súa cuarta novela, publicada en 1929. A historia da ruína e decadencia da familia Compson, no Sur dos EUA, segue a representar para o lector de hoxe ese mesmo desafío, o da literatura como reinvención da linguaxe. Ao tempo, é un magnífico exemplo do pulo que posúe unha narración inspirada na vida, ese "conto contado por un idiota, cheo de ruído e de furia, que nada significa", segundo deixou dito Shakespeare en Macbeth.

Faulkner, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, Robert PennIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting.
Once a bitch, always a bitch, what I say.
Got it at the getting place.
'You're not a gentleman, Spoade said. 'No, I'm Canadian.' Shreve said.
"Dogs are dead." Caddy said. "And when Nancy fell in the ditch and Roskus shot her and the buzzards came and undressed her."

Jason sums it thus:
"Once a bitch, always a bitch."
I prefer Benjy.
(LeBoeuf)

Legacy Library: William Faulkner

William Faulkner has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Faulkner's legacy profile.

See William Faulkner's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,551,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible