Metamorphoses [in translation]

by Ovid

11,58988466 (4.11)2 / 343
Metamorphoses--the best-known poem by one of the wittiest poets of classical antiquity--takes as its theme change and transformation, as illustrated by Greco-Roman myth and legend. Melville's new translation reproduces the grace and fluency of Ovid's style, and its modern idiom offers a freshunderstanding of Ovid's unique and elusive vision of reality.… (more)

English (76)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (88)
A lovely and effortlessly readable translation, though I did miss having little notes from the translator on particularly tricky puns, idioms, turns of phrase as I found in Hejduk's The Offense of Love. Perhaps there aren't any in Metamorphoses? Certainly, none of the various translations I was able to compare online seemed to have any such footnotes.

And while I missed having the translator double as Ovid scholar, as Hejduk does, Johnson's introduction to the text proved helpful and insightful, especially given the vast gulf between Ovid's time and my own. Taken together with Lombardo's translation, it has only reinforced my interest in reading more of Ovid's work—and perhaps discovering more of Ovid, himself, in the process. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
Ovid's mythology classic begins so beautifully with Creation,
then delves into harrowing, mostly gruesome and horrifying details of bleeding entrails,
murders, rapes, revenge...
with only a few good tales woven in.

It also ends beautifully with the surprise of Pythagoras! ( )
  m.belljackson | Mar 18, 2022 |
Read for Reading 1001, Quarterly Read 2022. A book of mythology, poetry, Roman. Did I enjoy it? Not so much. Time period covered from creation to the deification of Caesar. Influenced much literature to come. ( )
  Kristelh | Mar 2, 2022 |
A latin poem in 15 books, written in hexameter verse. The work is a collection of mythological and legendary stories, many taken from Greek sources, in which transformation (metamorphosis) plays a role, however minor. The stories, which are unrelated, are told in chronological order from the creation of the world (the first metamorphosis, of chaos into order) to the death and deification of Julius Caesar (the culminating metamorphosis).

The importance of the theme of metamorphosis is more apparent than real; passion is the essential theme of the poem, and passion imparts more unity to the work than do the transformation devices employed by Ovid. The work is noted for its wit, rhetorical brilliance, and narrative and descriptive qualities. ( )
  Marcos_Augusto | Jan 24, 2022 |
Amazing and vast collection of mythology with linkages throughout. ( )
  brakketh | Jan 24, 2022 |

Ovidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anguillara, Giovanni Andrea dell'Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bernini, FerruccioEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Proosdij, B.A. vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raeburn, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarrant, R. J.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tissol, GarthIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vondel, Joost van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

This translation of Ovid's seamless song
is inscribed to my brother in law and in love,
Leonard Feldman, and my sister, Rayma.
Now I shall tell you of things that change, new being / Out of old: since you, O Gods, created / Mutable arts and gifts, give me the voice / To tell the shifting story of the world / From its beginning to the present hour.
Širdį man traukia giedot, kaip naujus pavidalus gavo Žemiški kūnai.
My purpose is to tell of bodies which have been transformed into shapes of a different kind. You heavenly powers, since you were responsible for those changes, as for all else, look favourably on my attempts, and spin an unbroken thread of verse, from the earliest beginnings of the world, down to my own times. [Mary M. Innes translation, Penguin Books, 1955]
My soul would sing of metamorphoses.
(Tr. Allan Mandelbaum)
My mind would tell of forms changed into new bodies;  gods, into my undertakings (for you changed even those) breathe life and from the first origin of the world to my own times draw forth a perpetual song!
(Tr. Z Philip Ambrose)
Žemės kraštuos, kur tik sieks raminanti Romos galybė, žmonės mane skaitys, ir lūpose būsiu aš gyvas, jeigu teisybės yra kiek dainių spėjimuos, per amžius.
3150003563 Reclam UB
3150206375 Reclam Taschenbuch

Metamorphoses in translation.
Under the 'dead language" convention, there are separate works for Latin and bilingual editions.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044789X, 0140422307

Indiana University Press

An edition of this book was published by Indiana University Press.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,716,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible