In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

In Cold Blood (1965)

by Truman Capote

18,131377144 (4.15)2 / 725
    Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (artturnerjr)
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (VisibleGhost)
    Operación Masacre by Rodolfo Walsh (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: 'Operation Massacre' by Rodolfo Walsh predates 'In Cold Blood' and is regarded as the work originating modern 'true crime'. In this case, the reportage covers the 1956 police execution of a group of men in Buenos Aires during the 'Dirty War'.
    The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo (lilisin)
    Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee by Charles J. Shields (edwinbcn)
    Big Trouble: A Murder in a Small Western Town Sets Off a Struggle for the Soul of America by J. Anthony Lukas (FFortuna)
    So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Fame and Obscurity by Gay Talese (Ronoc)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela (caflores)
    caflores: Dos historias sobre violencia provocada por el ambiente, y dos narraciones crudas y frías.
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (Othemts)
    The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: In 1956, Yukio Mishima not only conducted background research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on but he also interviewed the arsonist. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is a melding of fiction, fact, and autobiography.
    Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers (bnbookgirl)
    I Am Charlotte Simmons: A Novel by Tom Wolfe (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Not a true crime story. It is part of the New Journalism body of work.
1960s (1)
Read (13)

English (346)  Spanish (9)  Italian (5)  Catalan (4)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (374)
This is one of those books you hear about every so often and think, “one day I’m gonna read that book.” Well I finally got around to it and it is brilliantly written. This is indeed Capote at his best. He did a great deal of research whilst writing this and it shows. The book goes along seamlessly from start to finish. Fascinating story about the Kansas family of four murdered one night for maybe 100 bucks of trinkets and cash on hand. A large part of the book follows the perpetrators from murder to execution. Highly recommended. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
I had to make myself get through some of this because I was bored, but towards the end it was especially creepy to get into the heads of the killers. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
I love this book. Third time I've read it, even though it's been a long time since the last and I vowed I didn't have enough time to reread. I can always make the time when it's reading.

In Cold Blood has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Capote did what I wanted to do. I wanted to write about criminals and crime. I wanted to do it in a straightforward This is the evidence kind of boiler pot story. That' the beauty of Capote's book.

Right now I seem to be riding on a True Crime rail right now. I'm going to go look for a good true crime book to follow this one.

This is how my year meanders. I get a bug in front of my eyes that tells me I really need to read THIIS! and I can't let go. I'll be back to record the next. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
There are many reasons to resent this book. It's exploitative and there are well-reasoned arguments for Capote having manipulated more than was fair the events he chronicled...but he's such a beautiful writer.

That's the clincher here, this book may not have invented the true crime genre but it certainly popularized it. In Cold Blood is responsible for people like my mother being so afraid of danger, of predators and killers lurking in the shadows beneath every tree. That kind of fear is catching. When I was very young while waiting for the school bus at the end of our driveway a passing car slowed down, causing us four kids to run 20 feet back towards the house. The bemused driver, wanting directions, received them by way of a shouting match between himself and my older sister. Such is modern childhood.

I did myself a disservice when starting this by looking up the pictures of those involved, making the murders that much more horrific as I knew exactly what they looked like while what happened to them happened. But the reality of the events wouldn't come across half so hard if this book had been in the hands of another author.

Capote skillfully weaves together the elements of the case, the last day, the discovery of the body, the long search by the authorities and, of course, the ongoing travels of Hickock and Smith. There is repetition as events unfold and are later reconstructed or retold, showing at each step how each event was brought into the record. The repetition is in part a byproduct of the novel being serialized in print, but Capote uses the necessary device to his advantage. While reading this my thoughts waxed poetic and thought of Capote beginning the novel with bare, blank page and as with watercolors layering thin coats of colors on top of one another, making the foregone conclusion ever clearer.

It was impossible not to be affected by this case, the Clutter family are drawn from life through details that only their close friends and neighbors would know. It was awful, the lives and dreams of Herb and Bonnie Clutter and their youngest children Nancy and Kenyon. Particularly Nancy, because of her diary, because of her boyfriend and friends input, Capote captured how heartbreaking this tragedy was. Is.

Capote reconstructed a lot of dialogue, which has gotten some flack, but its flows so authentically that I doubt many would object to the words put in their mouth...aside from the killers themselves of course. But it was their opinions and words that Capote had the most opportunity to get down so I call it fair play.

In Cold Blood may have spurred a whole genre of imitators and voyeuristic slasher accounts, but Captote's writing never comes off as cheap or lurid. The impression is purely one of respect for the people involved and a desire to portray people as they were.

--- 08/06/2013: Read again for book club, a little less praise. Hopefully I'll be able to explain sometime when I have a computer again. ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Masterfully written real-life murder mystery in which strands of the story slowly come together. ( )
  gregscheer | Jan 1, 2019 |
If nothing else, In Cold Blood justifies another Capote conviction: that when reportage commands the highest literary skills, it can approach the level of art.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 21, 1966)

Capote, Trumanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fujita, S. NeilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci Dèttore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een waar verslag van een viervoudige moord en zijn gevolgen.
Freres humains qui apres nour vivez

N'ayez les cuers contre nous endurcis,

Car, se pitie de nous povres avez,

Dieu en aura plus tost de vous mercis

Francois Villon (Ballade des pendus)
Brothers, men who live after us,
Let not your hearts be hardened against us,
Because, if you have pity for us poor men,
God will have more mercy toward you.
For Jack Dunphy and Harper Lee with my love and gratitude
The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there'.
Mensenbroeders, gij die na ons leeft, wil niet verbitterd aan ons denken, want wie erbarmen met ons armen heeft, zal God veel eerder zijn genade schenken. (François Villon - Ballade der gehangenen)
In over three months I practically never left the Broadway area. For one thing, I didn't have the right clothes. Just Western clothes - jeans and boots. But there on Forty-second Street nobody cares, it all rides - anything. My whole life, I never met so many freaks.

Two cons kill family.
Reporter relates the tale
In fiction format.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679745580, Paperback)

"Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans--in fact, few Kansans--had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there." If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction. The images of this tale continue to resonate in our minds: 16-year-old Nancy Clutter teaching a friend how to bake a cherry pie, Dick Hickock's black '49 Chevrolet sedan, Perry Smith's Gibson guitar and his dreams of gold in a tropical paradise--the blood on the walls and the final "thud-snap" of the rope-broken necks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:29 -0400)

An account of the senseless murder of a Kansas farm family and the search for the killers.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182571, 014103839X, 0141043083, 0241956838

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible