Nightwood by Djuna Barnes

Nightwood (1936)

by Djuna Barnes

The Lime Twig by John Hawkes (nymith)
    nymith: Barnes was a great influence on Hawkes and both novels share a dreamlike and grotesque writing style.
    A Woman Appeared to Me by Renée Vivien (mambo_taxi)
    mambo_taxi: Nightwood is definitely the better of the two books, but if early 20th century expatriate lesbians living in Paris are your kind of thing, then A Woman Appeared to Me will be of interest.
    Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (lilysea)

This is one of those books that EVERYBODY was reading in college. It had a huge impact on me then, though I think if I read it now, I'd be scratching my head. But I gotta give it four stars just for the influence. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
1.5* rounded up.

Matthew,' she said, 'have you ever loved someone and it became yourself?'
For a moment he did not answer. Taking up the decanter he held it to the light.
'Robin can go anywhere, do anything,' Nora continued, 'because she forgets, and I nowhere because I remember.' She came toward him. 'Matthew,' she said, 'you think I have always been like this. Once I was remorseless, but this is another love — it goes everywhere; there is no place for it to stop — it rots me away.”

I honestly feel that I have failed this book.

Nightwood was a slight volume but I found it really hard to finish. Some of the language is intriguing but at times trying too hard and coming across as pretentious - in the end I can't make up my mind what which aspect of the book I liked enough to finish it.

There was only one character (Nora) that drew my attention and it looks like that character is being ridiculed - though I'm not sure whether the ridicule is an expression of Barnes' attitude or an expression of Barnes' view of society's contempt for that character.
I'm sure I'll get my head around it at some point.

In short, Nightwood is the story of a cast of outsiders in which Nora and Robin take centre stage. Nora falls in love with Robin, but Robin is too wrapped up in her own desires to see or care about the trail of destruction she leaves behind her.

According to Wikipedia (and therefore absolutely reliably true, probably, or not) the character of Robin was based on this lady:

Nora's character - again according to unreliable sources - seems to reflect Barnes in many ways. I have no idea whether there is an actual autobiographical connection, but having finished the book I don't care to find out.

This was a bleak rather bitter read full of pretentious and generalised statements such as:

"The heart of the jealous knows the best and most satisfying love, that of the other's bed, where the rival perfects the lover's imperfections."

or

"Sleep demands of us a guilty immunity. There is not one of us who, given an eternal incognito, a thumbprint nowhere set against our souls, would not commit rape, murder and all abominations."

And yet, the funny thing about Nightwood is that I'm still intrigued by the book because I couldn't help comparing it to Night Watch by Sarah Waters (of which I am a huge fan). The character I loved most in Night Watch is one of that could easily have been in Nightwood but where Waters likes her characters and celebrates gallantry, Barnes seemed to treat everything and everyone with disdain.

So, where Waters character expresses her view on life like this:

"Someone once said a happy ending depends on where you decide to stop your story. Then again, it could be when you realise your story is not yet over; that you are only at the end of the beginning." (Kay in Night Watch)

Barnes' character's outlook is far bleaker:

“My war brought me many things; let yours bring you as much. Life is not to be told, call it as loud as you like, it will not tell itself. No one will be much or little except in someone else's mind, so be careful of the minds you get into, and remember Lady Macbeth, who had her mind in her hand. We can't all be as safe as that.”

However, it is not just the bleak outlook that spoilt the book for me. The book starts off introducing the characters and what comes across right from the beginning is that they are all outcasts from society - some because of their physical attributes, some because of their gender, identity, or religion. Rather than to explore these differences, Barnes only emphasizes the stereotypical views held by society - but she does it in a way that seems to be at odds with the story and that seems to define and mock the character of her characters. It is never clear - or it wasn't to me - if this was meant to be irony or just Barnes being bitter and spiteful. It's a fine line and I could not make it out. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
at first i couldn't understand why this is considered such a difficult book. i even enjoyed the beginning. but once the doctor starts (more or less) monologuing around page 80, i had a really tough time. i couldn't always follow the thread, and even when i could i didn't see the point. toward the end it regained some of what i liked from the beginning, but the ending itself i don't get. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Dec 28, 2015 |
[CEDUTO] Non riesco ad entrare nel meccanismo della Barnes, nelle sue immagini (alcune davvero lisergiche e bellissime, altre solo mentali e oscure), nella sua prosa. Ho provato, abbandonato; riprovato, abbandonato. Non tutti i libri sono scritti per tutti. Nel redigere questo non hanno tenuto conto di me. ( )
1 vote bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Historically significant. Stayed with it because of the occasional sentences that sparkled like gems - usually spoken by the "doctor." Complicated characters in that no one was particularly "likeable." Which I like. ( )
  beckydj | Oct 11, 2014 |
Nightwood is itself. It is its own created world, exotic and strange, and reading it is like drinking wine with a pearl dissolving in the glass. You have taken in more than you know, and it will go on doing its work. From now on, a part of you is pearl-lined.

Barnes, Djunaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eliot, T.S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Peggy Guggenheim and John Ferrar Holms
Early in 1880, in spite of a well-founded suspicion as to the advisability of perpetuating that race which has the sanction of the Lord and the disapproval of the people, Hedvig Volkbein—a Viennese woman of great strength and military beauty, lying upon a canopied bed of a rich spectacular crimson, the valance stamped with the bifurcated wings of the House of Hapsburg, the feather coverlet an envelope of satin on which, in massive and tarnished gold threads, stood the Volkbein arms—gave birth, at the age of forty-five, to an only child, a son, seven days after her physician predicted that she would be taken.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0811216713, Paperback)

Nightwood is not only a classic of lesbian literature, but was also acknowledged by no less than T. S. Eliot as one of the great novels of the 20th century. Eliot admired Djuna Barnes' rich, evocative language. Lesbian readers will admire the exquisite craftsmanship and Barnes' penetrating insights into obsessive passion. Barnes told a friend that Nightwood was written with her own blood "while it was still running." That flowing wound was the breakup of an eight-year relationship with the lesbian love of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

Originally published in 1936, this novel by Djuna Barnes describes the life of Americans and Europeans in Paris in the decadent 'Roaring Twenties'.

166 wanted9 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,657,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible